[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

riiiiight. so people who pirate software are the same as a man who ordered the deaths of 11 million people.......yeah clueless much

It's actually not sure how many people died in the Holocaust, due to records being burned after the war, so you're more clueless than I am unless you supply sources for your claims.

Also, I was making an exaggerated point that was never intended to be taken as literal. It's called a metaphor.

Clueless much?

lol, so much hysteria. The games that are pirated on my system are super old stuff I don't really care for anyway. Hardware wise, nothing is broken on my Win10 install. Almost thought my Fiio EK10 wasn't compatible, but I got it working.

Someone mentioned a rock candy xbox controller, I don't have one, but my girlfriend's nephews do. Will have to borrow that some time to see how strict the peripheral stuff is.

The only reason I would upgrade to Windows 10 is once there are triple A titles that benefit significantly from DirectX 12 or Vulkan.

So u are telling me pirated games will not work in win 10? But I bet someone will get a workaround, right?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

It's been fixed now guys! Here's the fix : www.ubuntu.com

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

It's actually not sure how many people died in the Holocaust, due to records being burned after the war, so you're more clueless than I am unless you supply sources for your claims.

Also, I was making an exaggerated point that was never intended to be taken as literal. It's called a metaphor.

Clueless much?

its estimated between 6-17 million depending on the sources and the historians, the most widely accepted number is 11 million and the point is the same. source Wikipedia

oh and its an hyperbole not a metaphor, really if your going to school someone on the English language make sure you understand it first

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"    What??  I don't need anyone's permision to plug whatever I want to my PC.

Nobody is telling you that you can't plug whatever you want in your PC. Microsoft is saying they don't want it on Windows 10. 

*vomits* I had the joy of working with pre-SP1 XP.

I was doing a co-op placement in high school at a computer shop when XP was released. We exclusively sold systems with 98SE still loaded on them unless someone specifically requested Windows XP, because of how buggy and unstable it was.

Rose tinted glasses are amazing, eh?

OSs have some serious teething issues at launch, the issues were just more crippling back then. XP was not some holy, infallible piece of awesome sauce from MS. It had its issues till SP2 IMHO. 

In what country is spagati and rice the cheapest you can afford for 3 weeks ?

In my country, for example.

You can buy enough spaghetti to feed a single person for a week for less than $5.

And rice? Rice is absurdly cheap. I can buy a 20 pound bag of rice for a few bucks, and that'll last weeks.

Sure there may be even cheaper things, but spaghetti and rice are damn cheap.

Australia,  enough pasta to keep you full for 2 days costs 99c (75c US).  It's about the cheapest food you can get.  Mind you I don't know how long the body can go without nutrients though. 

EDIT: I guess with a multi vitamin you could survive on about 70c day but it would be hell.

Yeah it's not pleasant. Not recommended for anyone!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

And how exactly do I determine whether it's worth buying or not?

You think your operating system telling you what software you are allowed or not allowed to run is okay? That is infinitely worse ethically than pirating games.

That part is actually ridiculously easy now.

You buy the game, and if you don't like it, you get a full refund.

This is now accepted policy on the two biggest digital distribution platforms on PC: Steam and Origin.

GOG also has a refund policy, but they only refund games that don't work on a technical level (eg: they can't fix the bugs and you can't play the game because of that). But GOG's prices are also like $5 a piece at most (not counting AAA game releases that they are slowly introducing).

Again, this does not apply to Windows 10. Just because you use Skype, for example, does not magically mean the policy applies to everything else on your PC, that's not how license agreements work. If Skype is on the list, or Cortana, then it only applies to Skype, or Cortana.

If you disable Cortana and never use it, and never use any of the other programs on that list (Notice how Windows 10 is absent), then that privacy policy does not apply to you.

People are taking this, and blowing it way out of proportion. They are taking things out of context, or straight up inventing parts of the story.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"    What??  I don't need anyone's permision to plug whatever I want to my PC.

Apparently Microsoft thinks you do.  Specifically from them.

This is no longer an operating system, it is a rent seeking device.

Just because you use Skype, for example, does not magically mean the policy applies to everything else on your PC, that's not how license agreements work. If Skype is on the list, or Cortana, then it only applies to Skype, or Cortana.

No.  Microsoft has consolidated it all into one agreement.  Using any of the named services binds you to all the terms, and both Cortana and Skype are on the list.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

Disabling pirated software is a good thing, but what's the point of disabling unauthorized hardware.....

inb4 all the poor people hate me for talking against piracy.

While there's nothing wrong with disabling pirated software, there is something wrong with trying to detect what is and what is not pirated automatically. 

Sure, there are signs that software *Might* be pirated, but you can't always know for sure. What do you do in that situation? Remove the software just to be sure and risk pissing off your customer, or leave it on there, even though it may be pirated.

Either way is very inconsistent, and the first option is very disruptive to the end user, who might have not done anything wrong.

EDIT:

In the case of XBOX games though, it's rather easy, as those games can only come from a couple of sources legally.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment; a handful of pirates likely do not have the funds necessary to buy the game to try it. 

And that's somehow supposed to be a good argument? Unless you're living in some communist country, luxuries should be paid for, if you can't pay for it, you don't get to have it.

That people will lose the ability to use pirated software concerns me none.

That Microsoft would be routinely and freely rooting through my systems looking for pirated software or "unauthorized" hardware concerns me a great deal.

Apparently Microsoft thinks you do.  Specifically from them.

This is no longer an operating system, it is a rent seeking device.

No.  Microsoft has consolidated it all into one agreement.  Using any of the named services binds you to all the terms, and both Cortana and Skype are on the list.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

You're wrong.

Yes, if you are using any of the services, yes you are bound by the terms. FOR THOSE SERVICES SPECIFICALLY. Not for your entire PC. Not for anything outside of any of those items on that list.

I'm really not sure why people think otherwise.

You're wrong.

Yes, if you are using any of the services, yes you are bound by the terms. FOR THOSE SERVICES SPECIFICALLY. Not for your entire PC. Not for anything outside of any of those items on that list.

I'm not sure why you think otherwise.  I can only conclude that you have not actually read the agreement.

"Many of these products previously had separate terms that were called different names, such as "Xbox Live Terms of Use" or "Skype Terms of Use" and these Terms replace those separate terms. By providing the opportunity of subscribing to, using and/or ordering the Services, Microsoft makes an offer to you. You accept these Terms by creating a Microsoft account or Skype account, by using the Services, or by continuing to use the Services after being notified of a change to these Terms. Please read, print and save a copy of these Terms for your records because Microsoft won’t save a copy for you."

Note the highlighted phrase.  There is no severability, it is a package deal.  Your phrase "for those services specifically" appears nowhere in the terms.

(Note: I'm not talking about Windows 10 itself - that is,as you note, not listed.)

I'm not sure why you think otherwise.  I can only conclude that you have not actually read the agreement.

"Many of these products previously had separate terms that were called different names, such as "Xbox Live Terms of Use" or "Skype Terms of Use" and these Terms replace those separate terms. By providing the opportunity of subscribing to, using and/or ordering the Services, Microsoft makes an offer to you. You accept these Terms by creating a Microsoft account or Skype account, by using the Services, or by continuing to use the Services after being notified of a change to these Terms. Please read, print and save a copy of these Terms for your records because Microsoft won’t save a copy for you."

Note the highlighted phrase.  There is no severability, it is a package deal.  Your phrase "for those services specifically" appears nowhere in the terms.

(Note: I'm not talking about Windows 10 itself - that is,as you note, not listed.)

That's exactly my point. These terms only apply to the software listed in the terms.

If you do not use any of the software in that agreement, then the agreement doesn't apply to you. If you use one piece of software, but not the rest, it only applies to the software that you use, not the rest of your OS. Nor the rest of your programs. Microsoft retains no right to delete pirated Adobe Photoshop, even with this agreement.

Microsoft is not telling you what software is Okay to use or not. If you pirate Photoshop (or any other non-Microsoft product), they simply won't give a shit, and this agreement does not give them any power, even if they did.

I guess no more witcher 3 for me then. eh, I only played it for an hour anyways

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

People are taking this, and blowing it way out of proportion. They are taking things out of context, or straight up inventing parts of the story.

It doesn't help that the thread title is wrong and the article the OP linked makes claims  that are not only wrong but sensationalist as well.

Clearly people are not experienced enough with language, business practices and consumer law to really understand what is happening here.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's attitudes like that that make me really respect a developer and want to buy their games. Any good, smart developer should see why piracy will and should always be around.

Good for you, hotshot. Have fun on your moral high ground while you get shafted, paying >$50 for shitty games because there's no alternative.

Reminder:

The corporations who want to get rid of piracy are the same ones who want to get rid of YouTube "Let's Play"ers.

So because he doesn't pirate games you think that means he'll be spending $50 on shitty ones? That doesn't even make sense. Just because he doesn't pirate games does NOT mean he doesn't read reviews.

There are plenty of publishers that want to get rid of piracy but not Let's Plays. Just because there's some crossover doesn't make them all the same.

Also I love the part where you think $50 is a lot of money hahaha that's cute.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Australia,  enough pasta to keep you full for 2 days costs 99c (75c US).  It's about the cheapest food you can get.  Mind you I don't know how long the body can go without nutrients though. 

You'd be surprised. assuming you were eating healthy before starting, probably weeks or months.

You'd be surprised. assuming you were eating healthy before starting, probably weeks or months.

When your young and fit, more than likely, when you get to my age (40) you start to feel like shit almost instantly.  after 3 days I am tired, sore, can't concentrate and sometimes even nauseous.  I have taken to taking a multi every day just in case I miss a healthy meal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Let's see how this translates in time. I'm sure MS may changes things about privacy, permissions and such cause of feedback, but we'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

That's exactly my point. These terms only apply to the software listed in the terms.

I don't disagree with that, and never have.

But I do disagree with your assessment that "people are blowing this out of proportion" or that only installing/using one defined "service" somehow limits your exposure.  

Because it does not.  The "service" is blanket permission and then the OS becomes the front door Microsoft waltzes through.

And, the truth is, far too may people are not even aware of the problem, AND the "problem" will affect anyone who does not do a custom install.

Which is the vast, vast majority of all users.

Please note that there is no "take back" provision in that agreement  - once you have accepted it (e.g. via a standard install of Windows 10)  you cannot revoke it so Microsoft pretty much has carte blanche to access the contents of your home system.

It didn't have to be that way, and Microsoft deserves avery bit of grief they are getting.