[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

EDIT: and on top of that you are ignoring the very fact that it is content creators right to be paid what they want for their work.  who are you or anyone else to deny that right.  

idk what you're getting at with how much they charge. I never mentioned this; never said the price wasn't fair. anyway, to this:

"just because it is very hard to work out exactly how many doesn't mean it isn't the case. "

but it is important, the number I mean. is it significant? if everyone would just stop pirating right now, would sales go up? yes? by how much? and how much is it costing to go after these people? filling in these questions with "gut feelings" isn't right. maybe with microsofts sniffing around they can get the data to properly say "look, this is a problem; here are the numbers"

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

idk what you're getting at with how much they charge. I never mentioned this; never said the price wasn't fair. anyway, to this:

"just because it is very hard to work out exactly how many doesn't mean it isn't the case. "

but it is important, the number I mean. is it significant? if everyone would just stop pirating right now, would sales go up? yes? by how much? and how much is it costing to go after these people? filling in these questions with "gut feelings" isn't right. maybe with microsofts sniffing around they can get the data to properly say "look, this is a problem; here are the numbers"

It's pretty simple,  to claim content creators aren't missing potential income that is both their right and due because of piracy is erroneous. you can do whatever you want with your gut feeling, it isn't going to change the facts.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This does not apply to windows 10, seriously does no one read the articles anymore?

Here is a list of services those conditions apply to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/?s=ecym#serviceslist

IF you look closely you will see it applies to xbox and windows games and xbocx live,  it is basic DRM, nothing new.

I guess this is a case of "Didn't read, lol!"

I was about to post this pointing this out but you beat me to it :P

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I doubt that Microsoft will want to just be that good guy. They probably are looking for some incentives or a cut from companies in order for Microsoft to do something. I can understand them doing their own software, but for them to police every software that is out there sounds ridiculous, unless they are making money off of that. If this did take into effect, would that mean less DRMs (which would be really really nice)? Don't really care if they shut down my pirated software, it's not going to give me any incentive to buy the software anyway. Will just head to the free alternatives, like GIMP, OpenOffice, Blender, etc. In fact, I have a lot of pirated software that I just don't use.... Though I lack motivation to clean up drive.

I think software companies are paying them but they just aren't saying anything.

I think software companies are paying them but they just aren't saying anything.

I'm not so sure about that. First and foremost, because Windows 10 does not appear in the list of services that this applies to.

Second, the amount of work and cost for Microsoft would be very high to "police" Windows. That means that software companies would have to pay Microsoft A LOT of money. Way more then I think they would be willing to.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm not so sure about that. First and foremost, because Windows 10 does not appear in the list of services that this applies to.

Second, the amount of work and cost for Microsoft would be very high to "police" Windows. That means that software companies would have to pay Microsoft A LOT of money. Way more then I think they would be willing to.

Not only that, but MS are currently laying off people, I don't think they want to invest money into a product that only turns away a subset of their customers and gives them a big question mark when it comes to trust.  It just doesn't follow any rationale.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's pretty simple,  to claim content creators aren't missing potential income that is both their right and due because of piracy is erroneous. you can do whatever you want with your gut feeling, it isn't going to change the facts.  

show me the facts. in numbers and graphs. please. I don't have "a gut feeling" about this. seem like you do, or just show me some graphs/numbers backed by credible source(s).

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

show me the facts. in numbers and graphs. please. I don't have "a gut feeling" about this. seem like you do, or just show me some graphs/numbers backed by credible source(s).

You brought up gut feelings, not me.

So you go from trying to insinuate that piracy isn't theft to asking for numbers of something that can't be calculated accurately.   You know what a red herring is don't you?

You brought up gut feelings, not me.

So you go from trying to insinuate that piracy isn't theft to asking for numbers of something that can't be calculated accurately.   You know what a red herring is don't you?

I mentioned gut feeling because basing "facts" on "something that can't be calculated accurately" = gut feeling.

I didn't insinuate "piracy isn't theft" I insinuated "stealing a can of coke" isn't the same as "using (not reselling) copyrighted material".

yes I know what a red herring is. I only asked for the accurate numbers because you're basing your opinion/statements on "something that can't be calculated accurately" (content creators being hurt by lost sales??)

and before you say: "the number is irrelivent because the fact is: the meterial is being used and not payed for" I will say this: does the punishment fit the crime?

my stance has been: "if the outcome of the crime is not the same as physical crime, you cannot apply the same punishment"

not: "it is not theft. so gtfo"

When your car gets stolen you might lose work, even your job. if an emergency presents itself and you need the vehicle (hospital rush) and it isn't there, that can be tragic.

and so, stealing a car is not the same as stealing a can of coke. the punishment is much more severe. with copyright we want to make everyone an example, hang them. while no one is directly being hurt. only the business's bottom line is being hurt, but we have to prove that. the consumer isn't being hurt; they never lose the product they paid for. however, the only way to know if the content creators are losing out on potential sales is by, again, providing those numbers. because so far, content creators are enjoying fat paydays. at least the clever ones are.

I never insinuated/implied that copyright law is bogus, there for no reason, useless, etc. I did however say, it is not the same as stealing a can of coke. therefor, the punishment should not be the same or greater.

I mentioned gut feeling because basing "facts" on "something that can't be calculated accurately" = gut feeling.

I didn't insinuate "piracy isn't theft" I insinuated "stealing a can of coke" isn't the same as "using (not reselling) copyrighted material".

yes I know what a red herring is. I only asked for the accurate numbers because you're basing your opinion/statements on "something that can't be calculated accurately" (content creators being hurt by lost sales??)

and before you say: "the number is irrelivent because the fact is: the meterial is being used and not payed for" I will say this: does the punishment fit the crime?

my stance has been: "if the outcome of the crime is not the same as physical crime, you cannot apply the same punishment"

When your car gets stolen you might lose work, even your job. if an emergency presents itself and you need the vehicle (hospital rush) and it isn't there, that can be tragic.

and so, stealing a car is not the same as stealing a can of coke. the punishment is much more severe. with copyright we want to make everyone an example, hang them. while no one is directly being hurt. only the business's bottom line is being hurt, but we have to prove that. the consumer isn't being hurt; they never lose the product they paid for. however, the only way to know if the content creators are losing out on potential sales is by, again, providing those numbers. because so far, content creators are enjoying fat paydays. at least the clever ones are.

I never insinuated/implied that copyright law is bogus, there for no reason, useless, etc. I did however say, it is not the same as stealing a can of coke. therefor, the punishment should not be the same or greater.

Whatever makes you feel better about your ideals.

Wait, I didn't get it

Will MS only block its software, if pirated, or everything? Like, for example, widespread programs like Photoshop?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Wait, I didn't get it

Will MS only block its software, if pirated, or everything? Like, for example, widespread programs like Photoshop?

Unless I got it all wrong, its just DRM for their services not a piracy control function.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Source

This is the nail in the coffin, I am going back to Windows 8.1

Glad I haven't upgraded yet. I only want 10 for the visual improvement, but it looks like I might just have to grab a custom theme for 8.1 and chill here for a while to let this all blow over.. Hopefully this will be like the 8.1 thing where they said something about pirated software, everyone went crazy, and then it behaved just like Windows 7. If it actually functioned as they're saying it will here.. I can imagine a lot of users getting pretty pissed and downgrading/sticking with 8.1 or 7.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like that's exactly what this is. Mis-read the article like everyone else, this stuff is just DRM and doesn't apply to Windows 10, just Microsoft services. Yay.

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

Glad I haven't upgraded yet. I only want 10 for the visual improvement, but it looks like I might just have to grab a custom theme for 8.1 and chill here for a while to let this all blow over.. Hopefully this will be like the 8.1 thing where they said something about pirated software, everyone went crazy, and then it behaved just like Windows 7. If it actually functioned as they're saying it will here.. I can imagine a lot of users getting pretty pissed and downgrading/sticking with 8.1 or 7.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like that's exactly what this is. Mis-read the article like everyone else, this stuff is just DRM and doesn't apply to Windows 10, just Microsoft services. Yay.

I still went back to W8.1. W10 was just so broken for me, nothing but crashes and memory leaks.

I still went back to W8.1. W10 was just so broken for me, nothing but crashes and memory leaks.

Dirty install eh? Cause mine has been perfect.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Dirty install eh? Cause mine has been perfect.

Rather close for me as well, after Nvidia drivers were installed from Nvidia and not Microsoft its been smooth sailing.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

I plan to upgrade, but only after everyone figures out the extent of the botnet. I'm sure it's not that much worse than 8.1 in terms of privacy violation, but I'd at least like to know what I'm signing up to by upgrading. Plus, I'd rather wait for whatever few bugs there are to be ironed out before upgrading, so it looks like 8.1 will be staying with me for a little while yet.

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

Well said, friend. Those who rant about piracy being such a horrendous crime sound to me like they're just trying to justify why they never torrent anything, when really they're either too scared or unintelligible to do it themselves. There are a lot of uses for torrenting that aren't just for evil wizards, and when you really get down to it, people are gonna share stuff like that regardless. Piracy laws are silly. If you don't want people to pirate your stuff, make them want to pay for it. Publishers like EA make a lot of people feel like buying their games is a far worse crime than pirating them. This is their issue, not public trackers.

i have windows 10 and i have to say ,

if i had a time machine ,

i would go back and beat the past me for upgreading to windows 10.

What don't you like about it? You've got to admit that it looks much better, though.

I plan to upgrade, but only after everyone figures out the extent of the botnet. I'm sure it's not that much worse than 8.1 in terms of privacy violation, but I'd at least like to know what I'm signing up to by upgrading. Plus, I'd rather wait for whatever few bugs there are to be ironed out before upgrading, so it looks like 8.1 will be staying with me for a little while yet.

The windows defender refusing to turn off permanently fiasco is over now, someone found a registry entry to shut that crap off. As for privacy control, I'm sitting here waiting on the other registry edits to be discovered biggrin.png .

aCQIrH2.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The windows defender refusing to turn off permanently fiasco is over now, someone found a registry entry to shut that crap off. As for privacy control, I'm sitting here waiting on the other registry edits to be discovered biggrin.png .

aCQIrH2.png

Yeah same here. I didn't realize that Windows Defender thing was a.. thing? Does Windows Update still force you to download and install updates or was that just with the preview version?

Yeah same here. I didn't realize that Windows Defender thing was a.. thing? Does Windows Update still force you to download and install updates or was that just with the preview version?

Updates are still forced, and Microsoft are going as far as waking up your computer to install updates. I'm in the process of making a program in Visual Studio to detect unexpected wakes, terminate the update process, and put the computer back to sleep. Thanks to Microsoft, my laptop has almost been on for days without me realising. It's one of those quiet ASUS ones >.>

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Updates are still forced, and Microsoft are going as far as waking up your computer to install updates. I'm in the process of making a program in Visual Studio to detect unexpected wakes, terminate the update process, and put the computer back to sleep. Thanks to Microsoft, my laptop has almost been on for days without me realising. It's one of those quiet ASUS ones >.>

Wow. I feel very sorry for all the users who either have slow/capped internet, or are battery-life conscious with their laptops with 10 installed. That's horrible. Thanks for working on trying to resolve this!

Wow. I feel very sorry for all the users who either have slow/capped internet, or are battery-life conscious with their laptops with 10 installed. That's horrible. Thanks for working on trying to resolve this!

Anyone who has capped internet can simply turn on the "Metered Internet" setting in the Network Connections area, and it'll disable automatic downloading of Updates. This has been known since launch - and since Tech Preview too really.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)