[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

Anyone who has capped internet can simply turn on the "Metered Internet" setting in the Network Connections area, and it'll disable automatic downloading of Updates. This has been known since launch - and since Tech Preview too really.

Since Win8

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Since Win8

Certainly, but specifically in Windows 10, it's still a feature.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well said, friend. Those who rant about piracy being such a horrendous crime sound to me like they're just trying to justify why they never torrent anything, when really they're either too scared or unintelligible to do it themselves. There are a lot of uses for torrenting that aren't just for evil wizards, and when you really get down to it, people are gonna share stuff like that regardless. Piracy laws are silly. If you don't want people to pirate your stuff, make them want to pay for it. Publishers like EA make a lot of people feel like buying their games is a far worse crime than pirating them. This is their issue, not public trackers.

What?  no one is saying using torrent for legal purposes is a bad thing, what are you on about?  just because you like to pirate stuff and think it should be your right doesn't change the reality of the situation. Piracy does reduce revenue in the industry and it does reduce content creators revenue, to say it doesn't is pure ignorance.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news/companies/napster_music_industry/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No.

Mhm, probably your PC is full of apps... one of those people with messy software everywhere.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Unauthorized HW means,  "Sorry, no Sony products!"  Also, I love how the pirates are whining in this thread.  xD  "I want my illegal downloads, I'm sorry I'm poor so I must steal, it's not stealing it's a copy!"  Bitch, you broke the copyright!  You buy a copy and torrenting = stealing a copy.  Using a torrent program isn't a legal; however, breaking copyright laws is.  Defend yourself all ya want, but what you're doing is illegal and wrong no matter your silly sob story.

how ever this doesn't effect pirates. Pirates will just find aways around it. 

torrenting is legal

pirating is not. (to an extant) 

so if you rip a cd your pirating (in uk this big nono)

download a song off youtube

pirating.

Sooo STFU, and don't say you never pirated. 

I love all the lecture all the pirates are getting, yeah don't do this and obviously not that. Come on guys, the Internet doesn't know good from wrong. You can't start parenting a 24 year old  ;)  :P

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Mhm, probably your PC is full of apps... one of those people with messy software everywhere.

k bro.

Every person has pirated to a degree. :)

be proud then. (depending where you live ripping cds is pirating too)

I live in the US, but I don't rip CDs myself.  Amazon does.  Also, I live in Maryland. :D  So, even if I did I'm protected under fair use.

attachicon.gifrip.JPG

lol xD

Well, will they make up their minds?  They said it would, but it won't?

They never said they would

people just can't read.

even before windows 10 was excluded, they just made it more clear. 

I can tell many failed reading comprehension in English class. It's simple try and see if you lose your lovely pirated software to a patch until then STOP SPECULATING STUFF.

So we can add kitguru to the list of people who can't read.

All the media got hyped up (as per usual) a didn't fact check. They are starting to update their articles:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-can-find-and-disable-pirated-games/1100-6429805/

[uPDATE] Although Microsoft is yet to provide official clarification on the matter, reports have suggested the EULA cited below pertains to Microsoft services, as opposed to the Windows 10 software itself.

This means the changes made to the license agreement were intended to protect against illicitly obtained Xbox Live and Windows Store content, not all pirated content on a PC.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can't be bothered reading all 18 posts pages

Quit fear mongering

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps. 

This topic is a complete joke. Full of people who don't have basic reading skills.

Can't be bothered reading all 18 posts.

Quit fear mongering

This topic is a complete joke. Full of people who don't have basic reading skills.

Or, people who just didn't take the time to read.

Usually when there are updates to the threads main topic the thread title is updated with the new information, however the OP seems to think this isn't necessary even though we are now at 18 pages and the original articles was debunked on the first page.

It would help greatly if the the thread title was renamed to something more appropriate and less misleading.

Finally, everybody can all take off their tin foil hats now.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

My foil was removed once I read that this is nearly a cookie cutter statement that has been in MS EULAs for a long time now, yet nothing actionable has ever happened and the only place it could be actionable would be on the Xbox side of things if MS decided a peripheral or piece of software was breaking rules/policies/licensing agreements. 

It never made sense to me that it would ever be employed on the PC side of things. 

Funny thing I actually reported this thread earlier today and minutes laters, Mr @Glenwing came in and set things straight once an for all. Very efficient. 

Finally... it took over 10 pages for this "news" to be debunked. A few of us knew it.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p