Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

What's wrong with this?

I MEANT UNLOCKED OH MY GOD I'M STUPID I TYPED THIS AT 8 IN THE MORNING I SWEAR

People who use an FX 8350/FX 6300 even though they are only good for a few very specific tasks-and not the ones the build is intended for.

I have an fx-6300, what would you consider them to be good for and bad for?

People who continue to insist that a magnetic screwdriver will damage computer hardware/wipe harddrives. I'm about to rant for a bit, feel free to skip.

I once got into a heated argument (it went way farther than it should, I share some blame for that) about this topic with a guy who frequented the same Teamspeak server as me, and it had me so riled up. Basically his argument was that one time he was working on a computer with a magnetic screwdriver (which had served him well for years up until that point) and when he next booted up his computer one of his hard drives had stopped working, and he said it was the screwdrivers fault. When I told him that was ridiculous, as I have ONLY EVER built computers using magnetic screwdrivers and never once had an issue, and that physics is on my side here (seriously, the magnetic field generated by a magnetic screwdriver is teeny tiny. You don't need a car-lifting electromagnet to wipe one, but that using that screwdriver is like throwing pebbles at a tank) and then even emailed Western Digital to get them to weigh in on it, and they agreed with me as well, even going so far as to say that they use magnetic screwdrivers to work on the drives in their facilities!

Anyways, he got upset and said that I was calling him a liar when I told him the hard drive probably just failed and that it likely had nothing to do with the screwdriver. Now we don't talk.

The lesson here? If an idiot wants to have idiot ideas, it's best to let him, no reason burning bridges over it.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

Budget work stations, video editing, and streaming (not while playing games, just streaming on its own).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Budget work stations, video editing, and streaming (not while playing games, just streaming on its own).

That's just bull. My 4300 is performing just fine while gaming AND streaming (yes, at the same time!). The fanboyism needs to stop.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

That's just bull. My 4300 is performing just fine while gaming AND streaming (yes, at the same time!). The fanboyism needs to stop.

Well if you call it fanboyism then whatever... The FX chips are pretty weak when it comes to gaming, being beat by an i3 in a lot of games, never mind gaming and coping with streaming at the same time.

Your calling me a fanboy when I've stuck with my AMD/Ati laptop for well over 5 years despite several chances to upgrade? Oh, and those who are actual fanboys throw the word around.

PMSL

Good for VERY specific tasks that don't need good IPCs and would benefit from more cores. Terrible for gaming

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

ah good, thats what i got mine for :3

Good for VERY specific tasks that don't need good IPCs and would benefit from more cores. Terrible for gaming

I game with mine and its amazing! :/

CPU gaming performance largely depends on the GPU you pair it with as well as the games you play. Gaming performance also still largely depends on GPU grunt, for the most part. Here's a really good article from PCper on this very subject. There's a lot of data but it's definitely worth a read: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Roundup-How-Much-CPU-Do-You-Really-Need

Long story short; even with an FX 4300 or Athlon 860k paired with a beefy GPU, you'll still see very good performance in *MOST* games. You can slot the 6300 in between the results for the 860k and 8350 from this article.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Amazing for a modified tri-core Phenom II or something else?

PMSL

what's with people complaining about small SSD for the OS ???

I have a 64GB for my Win install and symlinks for "Program Files" and "Users", still have 20-25GB free on that tiny drive and startup speeds for Windows didn't suffer much from the symlinks.

But then if you don't like it, that's fine, but for me that solution works perfectly fine!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

You obviously don't know what amazing gaming is then

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

pet peeve - when you can see each individual LED..

What do you mean? Like them not hiding the LEDs?

yea so you can see each bulb lol so gross..

Oh I agree!!

I'm thinking about getting the white led kit from nzxt. I'll be placing them around the window on the inside of my case so that it lights everything up but you don't see where the lights coming from.

I believe it would tie into the cable management category.

Oh I agree!!

I'm thinking about getting the white led kit from nzxt. I'll be placing them around the window on the inside of my case so that it lights everything up but you don't see where the lights coming from.

I believe it would tie into the cable management category.

decent Im looking at using EL wire instead of LEDS, to get a solid "Beam" of light not to mention its a lot easier to hide, but more complicated to get set up PROPERLY so you dont hear the AC power supply.

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane.

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys?

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

1. I have spent quite a bit on a case when I was on a small budget. I've learned from my mistakes lol

2. I agree with what someone else said about saying you have a budget of $800 when really you could spend $900. That way if you look up parts or someone on here builds a better quality setup for just $830 or so, then you have wiggle room. Although if its someone who doesn't have a job and has no other means of making extra money and needs the build right away, I would either say to wait until you get the money or lower something else. Just don't buy cheaper, low quality parts.

Edit 1. I would agree here, it bothers me when it's not in the top slot only because in my mind I'm thinking "that's the one it should go in because... Reason" lol

Edit 2. Totally agree. I bought a locked i5 4670... I think... For my current low end system and will just be running stock cooler and integrated graphics until I save up and build my high end system. I did ask on here about the cooler, if stock would be fine or if I should grab an after market one and some helpful folks assisted me. I'm used to just buying top of the line stuff and going with after market cooling as a no brainer. Lol

Well to be fair, doing that makes the CPU at least 20% cooler.

ObZEj9rGiC7Ru.gif

pisses me off when people have PC cases open and i see IDE ribbon cables.

i hate when people build crazy ass beast machines and only surf the interwebs on it. fucking shame....

mismatching(multicolor [3+]) color schemes....

blue/green  or color/white schemes too.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

"Taste the rainbow" dude :D

I keep it simple - black&white all the way :)

I was going to do blue/black but decided that black/white looks much better.