Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Have fun finding (or building) a computer that will never run out of RAM when using a very large CAD project.

That issue will always be there...

But for people who don't use CAD 8gb is fine

Yea I know at our school lab we have stupid expensive rigs with 16+ core xeons and quadros/firepros and they run hot and stressed as hell, still happy with my old fx 6300 and 280x that can still keep up after so long poor pc goes through so much

My friend fried his 4790k while running a full spaceshuttle simulation and mine did fine [emoji1], he no longer gives me shit about having an amd system after that

Yea I know at our school lab we have stupid expensive rigs with 16+ core xeons and quadros/firepros and they run hot and stressed as hell, still happy with my old fx 6300 and 280x that can still keep up after so long poor pc goes through so much

My friend fried his 4790k while running a full spaceshuttle simulation and mine did fine [emoji1], he no longer gives me shit about having an amd system after that

Why would intensive tasks fry his i7? unless it was already on its way out...

Check my specs in my sig, old hardware that still runs awesome :lol:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

The only thing that really gets me is when people come to me for help then completely ignore everything I've said.  They come to me because they don't know anything, but then think they know better?

edit:  either come to me with cash in hand or nick off.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Why would intensive tasks fry his i7? unless it was already on its way out...

Check my specs in my sig, old hardware that still runs awesome [emoji38]

Brand new i7 that gave out and recommended cpus for that type of software are xeons, i7s can run a few things but even then they can run like crazy... Also why I'm surprised that my fx 6300 still runs after that... Same reason why I haven't upgraded my pc, if it can run a stupid crazy software and be fine my system can still handle for a while longer [emoji1]

Brand new i7 that gave out and recommended cpus for that type of software are xeons, i7s can run a few things but even then they can run like crazy... Also why I'm surprised that my fx 6300 still runs after that... Same reason why I haven't upgraded my pc, if it can run a stupid crazy software and be fine my system can still handle for a while longer [emoji1]

No amount of "stupid software" should kill a cpu though, you could urn that on a bloody celeron and the only difference will be is that it will run a lot slower and take a lot more clock cycles...

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

No amount of "stupid software" should kill a cpu though, you could urn that on a bloody celeron and the only difference will be is that it will run a lot slower and take a lot more clock cycles...

Not really the program would either stop and tell you stop being dumb and get a better pc in their words or crash on sim startup destroying a pc is rare but possible

Not really the program would either stop and tell you stop being dumb and get a better pc in their words or crash on sim startup destroying a pc is rare but possible

I completely disagree.

Some programs will have included code for system hardware checking which would prompt the user "your PC is below minimum requirements" but you can still run the program regardless 9/10 of the times.

If a program required 4 cores use at 1 time and you only have a dual core it will stop responding for obvious reasons, but if you had a dual core with 2 virtual cores (i.e. hyperthreading) it will still run, just a heap slower than it's meant to.

I don't think you fully understand just how programs are written and how they operate, a decent program will have "catches" for failures instead of just not responding, and there's no way a failed program can burn a chip out (unless you let it run at a high usage for excess amounts of time or it heats up too much).

I completely disagree.

Some programs will have included code for system hardware checking which would prompt the user "your PC is below minimum requirements" but you can still run the program regardless 9/10 of the times.

If a program required 4 cores use at 1 time and you only have a dual core it will stop responding for obvious reasons, but if you had a dual core with 2 virtual cores (i.e. hyperthreading) it will still run, just a heap slower than it's meant to.

I don't think you fully understand just how programs are written and how they operate, a decent program will have "catches" for failures instead of just not responding, and there's no way a failed program can burn a chip out (unless you let it run at a high usage for excess amounts of time or it heats up too much).

not these, they are not normal programs and not everyone has access to them unless you are a student and pay for it or your a professional that has $5k around for the software... the programs are so heavy enough that they do not include it since its not suppose to run on low end systems and if you do well thats on the person risking it, every time I do it my pc is at risk yet it as handled up until now, also i know how programs are written taken way too many classes to know about it already

Lucky that I am able to use AUTOCAD software at my work as we have a lot of engineers that use it and a lot of Pre-investigation plans are drawn up using it.

Having to support the software I know what it's about and how it doesn't "crash a whole system" or "destroy computers".

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Support-for-multi-core-processors-with-AutoCAD.html

See above, that's just one example of how it utilizes systems, if you would like I would be more than happy to reference further detailed documentation on just how wrong you are?

Have fun finding (or building) a computer that will never run out of RAM when using a very large CAD project.

That issue will always be there...

But for people who don't use CAD 8gb is fine

I have people in my campus that use Autocad with only 2GB of RAM. It's only 2D for now, but they're gonna suffer later

I have people in my campus that use Autocad with only 2GB of RAM. It's only 2D for now, but they're gonna suffer later

Yeah CAD software can be used on any machine, but that doesn't mean it should be used.

There are users that I support that require the use of CAD to do their job, I ended up just building them an i5-4570 and 8gb RAM for it, which seems to be powerful enough

I'm in the first category :D My pc costs about $500-600 and the case is define r4 (so about $100 or more, depends on a country).

But I've spent $4000 on my last build and didn't even play any games on it, because it was for sale. Much the same for previous and so on. I just like to make people happy.

Yeah CAD software can be used on any machine, but that doesn't mean it should be used.

There are users that I support that require the use of CAD to do their job, I ended up just building them an i5-4570 and 8gb RAM for it, which seems to be powerful enough

It should do fine. Even my trusty 8350 is doing fine for now, though I really need to upgrade to a 960 to get better hardware acceleration

Yeah CAD software can be used on any machine, but that doesn't mean it should be used.

I run CAD on my Pentium 4 extreme edition. 3gb of ddr2. It's a beast.

Just kidding, y'all talking about these processors of today like they're no good. Reminded me of when the p4 extreme edition first came out and was a beast lol. Flashback

That looks hawt [emoji1]

Eh, not as much as I had thought, the 590 usually sits at high 80s on full load.

Thanks

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane.

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys?

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

i have a locked core i7 3770 in a z68 board xD

The only thing that really gets me is when people come to me for help then completely ignore everything I've said.  They come to me because they don't know anything, but then think they know better?

edit:  either come to me with cash in hand or nick off.

I agree completely with this. It's even worse when they come for help then just go out and buy a prebuilt.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

1. Fanboys

2. Seeing 10 year olds in the local IT store wanting a 4790k and a Titan X (the best of everything) ( I see this a lot)

3. People that only have built one mid range computer ever with a couple of YouTube videos then saying that "they are really good at computers"

4. Hearing there parents saying that there kids "are really good with computers" all they really did was opened up the side panel and had a quick look

5. People asking me to upgrade there old dell office pc to a super awesome gaming pc with < $100 budget

6. Gamers

7. Mismatched colour schemes

8. Unconstructive criticism ("you should get AMD it's better")

9. People that have watched a couple of minor gamers on YouTube telling you what to do

10. Crappy looking computers (picking the first/cheapest part that they come along)

11. Gamers that think they are computer technicians because they built a computer

12. Over specked/ overkill computers

13. How people think that any ram works with any computer

14. People that think xeons are only for servers

15. People asking if a certain part is good for gaming (xeons in particular)

16. People asking for a computer that can do max settings on the latest games with a sub $800 budget

17. Office orientated prebuilts for gaming

1. Fanboys

2. Seeing 10 year olds in the local IT store wanting a 4790k and a Titan X

3. People that only have built one mid range computer ever with a couple of YouTube videos then saying that "they are really good at computers"

4. Hearing there parents saying that there kids "are really good with computers" all they really did was opened up the side panel and had a quick look

5. People asking me to upgrade there old dell office pc to a super awesome gaming pc with < $100 budget

6. Gamers

7. Mismatched colour schemes

8. Unconstructive criticism ("you should get AMD it's better")

9. People that have watched a couple of minor gamers on YouTube telling you what to do

10. Crappy looking computers (picking the first/cheapest part that they come along)

11. Gamers that think they are computer technicians because they built a computer

12. Over specked/ overkill computers

13. How people think that any ram works with any computer

14. People that think xeons are only for servers

15. People asking if a certain part is good for gaming (xeons in particular)

16. People asking for a computer that can do max settings on the latest games with a sub $800 budget

17. Office orientated prebuilts for gaming

Not all of them are terrible(office machines make decent gaming machine easily as long as upgraded specked appropriately as many office machines have i5s) on the other hand.... One I will bring up is 20 year olds buying Titan xes...I also especially agree with 11

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Not all of them are terrible(office machines make decent gaming machine easily as long as upgraded specked appropriately as many office machines have i5s) on the other hand.... One I will bring up is 20 year olds buying Titan xes...I also especially agree with 11

I'm talking about the office PCs that can barely run windows 7 [emoji3]

I'm talking about the office PCs that can barely run windows 7 [emoji3]

Similar to School laptops then that started with an early Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM and XP, which then got 'upgraded' to Windows 7 (fucking Microsoft and their Vista capable labels). I remember almost fighting for the laptops that got missed Windows 7 was running that badly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Similar to School laptops then that started with an early Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM and XP, which then got 'upgraded' to Windows 7 (fucking Microsoft and their Vista capable labels). I remember almost fighting for the laptops that got missed Windows 7 was running that badly.

and to top it they give us restricted Internet

and to top it they give us restricted Internet

80MB a month at the Highschool I went to-which straight up sucked.

PMSL

80MB a month at the Highschool I went to-which straight up sucked.

We have a limit at the moment, but we don't get told what it is. If we go over, we have to explain why to the principle

We have a limit at the moment, but we don't get told what it is. If we go over, we have to explain why to the principle

WTF? Is your school's ISP Comcast?

PMSL