Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

Fuzzy_Crumpkin

Verge article highlights what features you'll lose when upgrading to windows 10 from previous versions.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

Edit: I received a message in my inbox saying this post would be taking down for unspecified reason unless I edited it. I'm assuming they are talking about a lack of quotes which I really didn't want to do as I didn't want to figure out how to do them. Since I've never done them before I will try my best but I apologize ahead of time if they do not come out right.

Microsoft announced today that it will be launching Windows 10 on July 29th, encouraging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to reserve their free upgrade with a notification in their task bar. However, while the company has been busy highlighting all the shiny new features in the upcoming OS, it's been a bit quieter when it comes to spelling out the limitations — including making updates automatic for Windows 10 Home users.

well everyone get pro now...

upgrading will mean saying goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets.

I used to use windows media a lot so kinda sucks if only for nostalgia sake.

Anyone in the habit of using floppy disks on Windows will also have to install new drivers,

people still use these?

Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software."

They said have support for it later but til then it is third party support...

Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch

guess Japan and Canada are screwed? Or maybe they just get their own versions.

Windows Hello (which offers support for various biometric passwords) will need an infrared camera for facial recognition, or a supported fingerprint reader.

Windows Hello is a program that allows you to unlock windows from facial recognition.

The Xbox Music and Xbox Video streaming apps will also be constrained by the usual, complex web of region-based licenses.

Either this is about DRM, or it is talking more about the availability for countries. There is a link at the end that only gave reference about where the games would be available.

Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.

I think this is the biggest dissapointment, although you can be upgrade your 8.1 copy from home to pro before getting your windows 10 copy. Still is a bad policy regardless.

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

Still need CPU, RAM, and GPU

NO NOT THE FLOPPY'S !!!

MS... what have you done >.>

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

So pirates will need the ultimate version to prevent updates ruining their activation :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

NOOOOOOOOO NOT FLOPPY DISKS ! 

Windows 10 is now dead to me

I'm not sure I like that lack of control of updates...

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

So pirates will need the ultimate version to prevent updates ruining their activation :P

Not that they ever took anything lesser than ultimate. :P 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

BUT FLOPPY DISKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

What an amazing news post. I commend you OP.

*insert obligatory oh no floppies post*

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.

Ahahahahahaha. No thanks Microsoft. Will stick with Windows 7.

Except cracked versions of Windows can get updates just fine.

BUT FLOPPY DISKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It says you just need new drivers to get the use of floppy disks...

So from the sounds of it. I will be missing nothing.

Other than the already mentioned floppy support.

Blarg

Please, let's focus on the important issues here. I cannot...believe that support for floppies is ending. I mean, I've used them so much since I started using a computer, and by that, I mean, once or twice.

On a serious note, I don't really see anything that really upsets me. Sure, the loss of control over updates is going to be somewhat annoying, but whatever.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

It says you just need new drivers to get the use of floppy disks...

oh ime fine then misread it i suppose (sarcasm anyway)

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Okay, so I won't lose too much. Not so sure if I like the lack of control of updates, though.

Oh, that's not for Windows 10 Professional? Awesome!

Okay, so I won't lose too much. Not so sure if I like the lack of control of updates, though.

Oh, that's not for Windows 10 Professional? Awesome!

That free upgrade from windows 8.1 and 7 give you home version. I'm fairly sure you have to pay separate or extra cost for professional. Unless I missed news.

I am honestly kinda pissed off over the abandonment of windows media center. I haven't yet found a better solution for handling Cable TV and DVR functionality, which is really important to me as there are already two TVs in my house running from windows 8.1 PCs exclusively, one of which isn't even a TV, it's a touch screen monitor in the kitchen with in-ceiling speakers.

I wasn't even bothered by having to get windows 8.1 pro, then upgrade it for $10 to pro with WMC, as it was worth every penny to me.

looks like I'll be looking into using MediaPortal instead

Heres some quotes as OP didnt post:

Tech-Preview_Start-menu.png

Firstly there are the software losses. Most of these will only affect a small number of users, but upgrading will mean saying goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets. Anyone in the habit of using floppy disks on Windows will also have to install new drivers, and Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software." Microsoft manager Gabriel Aul has said on Twitter that a DVD option for Windows 10 is coming "later this year," but early upgraders can always download VLC instead.

In addition to the software losses, there are also a number of limitations for some of Windows 10's most exciting features. Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch, while Windows Hello (which offers support for various biometric passwords) will need an infrared camera for facial recognition, or a supported fingerprint reader. The Xbox Music and Xbox Video streaming apps will also be constrained by the usual, complex web of region-based licenses.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

That free upgrade from windows 8.1 and 7 give you home version. I'm fairly sure you have to pay separate or extra cost for professional. Unless I missed news.

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro, so I'll be getting Windows 10 Professional.

Cortana only available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy and Spain.

Great... I wasn't expecting it to understand Swedish but I really hope it's not like in the Windows 10 insider build where I can't even use it for anything (can't even type in commands in English).

The lack of control over updates on the non-Pro/enterprise versions is just flat out idiotic as well. Luckily I will get the Pro version but why the hell did they change this? In what way is this good? Can someone please give me one example of how this is good for the users (and remember that automatic installation of update is already on by default).

Not happy with Home users not being able to defer updates.

While it isn't often, every now and then there is a part of an update that completely fucks something up royally.

Yep

Just a few months ago Microsoft accidentally released an update that broke Windows. Some people got BSOD all the time and some couldn't even start Windows.

I am honestly kinda pissed off over the abandonment of windows media center. I haven't yet found a better solution for handling Cable TV and DVR functionality, which is really important to me as there are already two TVs in my house running from windows 8.1 PCs exclusively, one of which isn't even a TV, it's a touch screen monitor in the kitchen with in-ceiling speakers.

Have you tried Kodi?