Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

Fuzzy_Crumpkin

Have you tried Kodi?

yeah. it is great for media stored on a PC, when controlled with a keyboard and mouse, but it falls flat when you try to feed it live TV from a cablecard and control it with my MCE remote. it's got looks and I like open source, but it can't hold a candle to WMC when it comes to functionality.

somehow I think somebody is going to port windows media center to windows 10

NOOOOOOOOO NOT FLOPPY DISKS ! 

Windows 10 is now dead to me 

Bloody monsters! Don't they understand I have the original emulated Pokemon Blue on some floppies?!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Not being able to control updates will destroy Windows 10 as an option for musicians and music studios.  

Musicians go to great lengths to ensure that nothing interrupts or interferes with the recording process.  You cannot be in the middle of recording, or even listening to a recording, and have hiccups in the sound.

So, when a reboot's required, windows 10 Home will just ... reboot the computer.
Didn't they learn the last time they did this. People are gonna lose work!

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Hmmm... How do I know what version of win 10 I'll be getting?

https://youtu.be/XzzTBhN4ft4?t=31m7s

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

They're taking out "Hearts" for Candy Crush? :(

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Forced updates. Ew. C'mon Microsoft, half of your updates break more than they fix, so the least you can do is give us the option to ignore them. Whether I can afford the licences or not, I guess I'm forced to go 'Pro', because there's sure as hell no way I'm going home.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF

Dafuq?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm so happy I got a free version of Windows 8.1 pro from my university. I don't think I'd survive if I couldn't tell my computer to update later. Even with telling Windows 7 to wait 4 hours constantly doesn't work out for me if I forget about it. I might have to leave my Windows 7 computer on Windows 7. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I leave a ton of programs open constantly and don't want to have to restart my computer.

i dont regret buying windows 7 ultimate anymore thanks microsoft xD!

I wonder how the not being able to control updates will be reflected in the TOS, will MS be able to install anything it wants on my PC if I have home?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

We found him !!!! So you're the one that uses WMC !!!!

I even had a WMC keyboard that had all the shortcut buttons for an HTPC hehe

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

The only issue I have with auto updates is that they sometimes decide to run right when I need to print out worksheets with 20second left before I leave.   This is more murphy's law than anything because they normal update when I turn the PC off at night. and I normal do my printing the night before anyway.

It's always a gamble, delay updates and remain vulnerable but have a stable system or enable them and suffer the once a year update issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

People who pirate Windows usually get something like Ultimate or Professional anyway...heck, even Enterprise.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Dafuq?

A bunch of CPU instructions. You don't have to worry about it unless you try to install it on a computer from like the early 2000.

It's always a gamble, delay updates and remain vulnerable but have a stable system or enable them and suffer the once a year update issue.

What bothers me with this is that Microsoft are removing the former alternative.

The ability to turn off auto-update should not be a $50-ish feature. I feel really bad for people with data-caps. Their computers will sip from their limited amount of data and they can't do anything about it (except dramatic measurements like blocking all updates all the time).

So pirates will need the ultimate version to prevent updates ruining their activation :P

Uh... What?

The updates part makes me really happy about my DreamSpark subscription...

A bunch of CPU instructions. You don't have to worry about it unless you try to install it on a computer from like the early 2000.

What bothers me with this is that Microsoft are removing the former alternative.

The ability to turn off auto-update should not be a $50-ish feature. I feel really bad for people with data-caps. Their computers will sip from their limited amount of data and they can't do anything about it (except dramatic measurements like blocking all updates all the time).

If 500MB a month busts any data caps you have bigger problems than this.  I agree you should have the option to turn them of or delay them.

EDIT: I would assume the reason you can't turn them off is because most home users weren't updating, then when they had trouble they where flooding the MS help desk with problems that could have been avoided with updates.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not happy with Home users not being able to defer updates.
While it isn't often, every now and then there is a part of an update that completely fucks something up royally.

Okay, so I won't lose too much. Not so sure if I like the lack of control of updates, though.

Oh, that's not for Windows 10 Professional? Awesome!

Please, let's focus on the important issues here. I cannot...believe that support for floppies is ending. I mean, I've used them so much since I started using a computer, and by that, I mean, once or twice.

On a serious note, I don't really see anything that really upsets me. Sure, the loss of control over updates is going to be somewhat annoying, but whatever.

Cortana only available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy and Spain.
Great... I wasn't expecting it to understand Swedish but I really hope it's not like in the Windows 10 insider build where I can't even use it for anything (can't even type in commands in English).

The lack of control over updates on the non-Pro/enterprise versions is just flat out idiotic as well. Luckily I will get the Pro version but why the hell did they change this? In what way is this good? Can someone please give me one example of how this is good for the users (and remember that automatic installation of update is already on by default).

Fuck automatic updates, I hope they don't force em on the pro version at least but this is really not gonna end up well for home users, specially with the nightmarish ISPs with bandwidth caps and such.

Not being able to control updates will destroy Windows 10 as an option for musicians and music studios.  

Musicians go to great lengths to ensure that nothing interrupts or interferes with the recording process.  You cannot be in the middle of recording, or even listening to a recording, and have hiccups in the sound.

Forced updates. Ew. C'mon Microsoft, half of your updates break more than they fix, so the least you can do is give us the option to ignore them. Whether I can afford the licences or not, I guess I'm forced to go 'Pro', because there's sure as hell no way I'm going home.

Ok, to let you people know a few things about why they are doing this. Its obvious they don't want another XP, they want as much people out of the old OS ASAP that includes 7 which is what half of the PC in the world are running now, and since they are trying to get 10 to be the last major release of windows, they don't want people to get stuck on outdated software, hence the 2 month prior to launch global notification on every qualifying hardware, especialy now that the updates will be free.

Now once they got people on 10 they are adding measure for updates to be as stealthily possible, first, they only download on network idle, never taking bandwidth when in use (windows 10 also has the same feature of Data Sense that has been on Windows Phone so it can recognize caps if configured correctly), second, most of them don't require the PC to reboot, in the preview, i have download countless patches and security fixes without getting to reboot, it has been much less often that using 7, third, to prevent the case of patches causing BSOD and other fatal errors, they are leaving the fast and slow ring setup currently found on the preview, that means that hardware on the slow ring will get updates that have been tested by thousands or millions of users and different hardware before hand, unexpected bugs shouldn't never come through that one, lastly, they have added more option to control forced reboots by updates, they can be schedule to whatever time you wanted them within a day and even if they times comes i think it won't force it until a week after, also (and this has been a feature since 8) rebooting is very fast, on a HDD it should take less that a minute from clicking reboot to being in the desktop again, even faster on SSD, so downtime will be minimal.

Now, i don't think its that good to remove control from updates to any version of the OS, i personally hate not knowing background stuff using my limited 2Mbit connection unaware but they have so many reason to prevent people on sticking to old software, especially the kind that doesn't know how to manage a PC which will more likely be the grand majority of users of the home version, for once they are making sure people doesn't have vulnerable software, something they have never done before, then we have the libraries for store apps, they are already in the OS, and a newer version must be update on via WU, unlike previously where every program had to bundle a redistributable pack, this is no longer the case, at least for store apps, which if they nail it with 10 could be where we get most of our daily programs now instead of the web, also, this is a godsend for developers, they will no longer have to aim for the oldest version that has a majority of market share to make their apps, one example could be that almost all triple A games of 2016 could feature dx12, given if 10 gains enough share to make it a worthwhile investment for the devs, no need to wait 2 or 3 years post launch to move to the newer dx, a complain that pc gaming has had since the vista era.

The way i see it, Microsoft is making sure the days of PC with unsecured and outdated systems are fully over, supporting their user base and not leaving vulnerable people behind, a complain that IIRC they have got since the beginning of times.

TL;DR: Microsoft has many reasons to keep people on up to date software, even if it means to force it, i don't particularly agree with it, but i see their point.

The only issue I have with auto updates is that they sometimes decide to run right when I need to print out worksheets with 20second left before I leave.   This is more murphy's law than anything because they normal update when I turn the PC off at night. and I normal do my printing the night before anyway.

see the wall of text above.

So, when a reboot's required, windows 10 Home will just ... reboot the computer.

10 gives you the option to set a timer to when reboot for a update like i said above, it will never force you unless you are an immortal capable of sitting over 7 days straight non stop in the computer without never going to sleep, also since vista, windows tries to save whatever editable files are open on shutdown. 

They're taking out "Hearts" for Candy Crush? :(

hearts is now in the solitaire collection, they renamed it free cell.

also this article is kinda clickbait, the only two things they are removing is WMC and update control on the home version, everything else is getting replaced or has a replacement.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Okay, I'm going to clear some shit up since some of the people quoted below are severely lacking in reading comprhension and/or critical thinking skills.

Before anything, let's talk about auto-updating.

1. The automatic updates are for Windows 10 Home edition
  2. Nearly everybody that would want to control updates will be running Windows 10 Pro where you can do just that

If you're running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.x Pro you get Windows 10 Pro. I cannot think of a single person that built a custom PC and bought Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8.x non-pro.

So why is it good that Windows 10 Home will have auto updates? Firstly, most people running Windows 10 Home will be people who bought their computer pre-built from a big box store AKA people who aren't tech savvy. Those same people are the ones who will never update their OS from the day they buy it. So they never get any security updates, then since they aren't tech savvy they end up clicking on things they shouldn't online and get virus or other malware. Which 90% of the time probably could have been avoided by, you guessed it, having an updated system!

Now, you will say that doing this kind of auto update puts millions of users at risk for receiving a faulty update that causes BSOD or other curruption. This won't happen, here is why. The Insider preview program is continuing! Yes, any update that will reach Windows 10 Home users will have to go through the following process below.

MS Internal testing -> Insider Fast Ring -> Insider Slow Ring -> Windows 10 Home users

Then, even when it reaches Windows 10 Home it can do staggered availability such as only 1% of Windows 10 Home users, then if there is no bad reports, continue pushing to the rest of the Windows 10 Home users. You might say "If the update has to go through two Insider rings before getting to Windows 10 Home users then that is a lot of time that Windows 10 Home users are left vulnerable without the update available." That is still better than the current scenario where updates are released once every 30 days on Patch Tuesday where currently users could go up to 29 days without being able to get an update that is already finished. Also, as always, Microsoft could still push updates direct skipping Insider testing if it was super urgent like how they already do out-of-band releases for some updates, skipping the wait until the next Patch Tuesday.

I'm not sure I like that lack of control of updates...

Addressed above.

Ahahahahahaha. No thanks Microsoft. Will stick with Windows 7.

Except cracked versions of Windows can get updates just fine.

See above. And do you also avoid Google Chrome because that auto updates without choice? inb4 Browser != OS

Okay, so I won't lose too much. Not so sure if I like the lack of control of updates, though.

Oh, that's not for Windows 10 Professional? Awesome!

Yes, you're right, it doesn't affect Pro version.

That free upgrade from windows 8.1 and 7 give you home version. I'm fairly sure you have to pay separate or extra cost for professional. Unless I missed news.

Its a version-to-version upgrade. See above.

Cortana only available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy and Spain.

Great... I wasn't expecting it to understand Swedish but I really hope it's not like in the Windows 10 insider build where I can't even use it for anything (can't even type in commands in English).

The lack of control over updates on the non-Pro/enterprise versions is just flat out idiotic as well. Luckily I will get the Pro version but why the hell did they change this? In what way is this good? Can someone please give me one example of how this is good for the users (and remember that automatic installation of update is already on by default).

Yep

Just a few months ago Microsoft accidentally released an update that broke Windows. Some people got BSOD all the time and some couldn't even start Windows.

Have you tried Kodi?

Oh LAwLz.... You know what's idiotic? Allowing users who don't know any better to remain on an unupdated system that becomes more and more vulnerable to wide range of malware and exploits the longer it goes without being updated. I've also addressed how the new update testing methods are even more robust than the current update testing procedure. Now updates actually get a degree of public testing via Insiders before going to General Availability which we don't currently have.

Hmmm... How do I know what version of win 10 I'll be getting?

Addressed above.

Fuck automatic updates, I hope they don't force em on the pro version at least but this is really not gonna end up well for home users, specially with the nightmarish ISPs with bandwidth caps and such.

They're not forced on the Pro version. I've addressed how the testing of updates will be significantly better now because of the Insider program. Data caps shouldn't be an issue since pretty much all security updates average in the 2-15 MB range.

You can reboot whenever you choose. Windows 10 even allows you to schedule a specific time of day. Although if you ignored the notice to reboot for 3 weeks and then it auto-rebooted (I don't know if that's an actual thing or not) but if it was then well I guess you shouldn't have ignored the reboot notice for 3 weeks then.

"half of your updates break more than they fix" *Citation needed.

Auto-Installed updates? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU MICROSOFT, YOU DONT FUCKING GET IT, ONE OF THE UPDATES YOU RELEASED IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS WAS BASICALLY MALWARE FFS

3rage5me. Read my post.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

If 500MB a month busts any data caps you have bigger problems than this.  I agree you should have the option to turn them of or delay them.

EDIT: I would assume the reason you can't turn them off is because most home users weren't updating, then when they had trouble they where flooding the MS help desk with problems that could have been avoided with updates.

Well it depends on the updates. 8 to 8.1 was around 3.5 GB and I am pretty sure lots of people with data caps (or even people with just slow connections) don't want updates like that to start being downloaded all of a sudden.

I am pretty sure most users did update, because by default updates were downloaded and installed automatically. If they didn't update then it was because they themselves didn't want the updates automatically, and now Microsoft are taking that away from them. It just seems really, really, really stupid to me.

Oh LAwLz.... You know what's idiotic? Allowing users who don't know any better to remain on an unupdated system that becomes more and more vulnerable to wide range of malware and exploits the longer it goes without being updated. I've also addressed how the new update testing methods are even more robust than the current update testing procedure. Now updates actually get a degree of public testing via Insiders before going to General Availability which we don't currently have.

Well sometimes you have to give stupid users the option to do stupid things because removing that can also do harm. I mean, a lot of people download Trojan horses but we shouldn't remove the ability to download things from the home version just because of that. I don't see what the issue was with letting updates automatically get installed by default, but then give users the option to not download updates automatically.