Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

Fuzzy_Crumpkin

It won't affect them. Its only for Windows 10 Home edition.

The whole problem is that it shouldn't be for ANY version. Also most people will be getting home version anyway because they didn't want to pay extra for pro. To many times the windows updates have come out broken, so windows especially should not be forcing the issue.

I've even recently had problems with a system update for my nvidia shield tablet. Even though it is android and not windows I can still imagining it happening for windows. So I updated it and now when the system is put into standby it will power on and off like every 30 seconds. The problem is pretty uncommon and what might work on a galaxy s4 doesn't work on mine. Because PCs are so diverse with pretty much no two being the same is why system updates shouldn't be mandatory.

One update that is good for one graphics card might completely kill the performance of another. The only system that automatic updates are really feasible is on a closed system like ps4, where the only thing that you can change with it is the HDD. Not to mention ALL of your data is backed up on a cloud server in case one of those system updates is so catastrophic that it forces you to reformat your hard drive. The only thing you really lose is time because you have to redownload all you games and saves.

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

Still need CPU, RAM, and GPU

The whole problem is that it shouldn't be for ANY version. Also most people will be getting home version anyway because they didn't want to pay extra for pro. To many times the windows updates have come out broken, so windows especially should not be forcing the issue.

I've even recently had problems with a system update for my nvidia shield tablet. Even though it is android and not windows I can still imagining it happening for windows. So I updated it and now when the system is put into standby it will power on and off like every 30 seconds. The problem is pretty uncommon and what might work on a galaxy s4 doesn't work on mine. Because PCs are so diverse with pretty much no two being the same is why system updates shouldn't be mandatory.

One update that is good for one graphics card might completely kill the performance of another. The only system that automatic updates are really feasible is on a closed system like ps4, where the only thing that you can change with it is the HDD. Not to mention ALL of your data is backed up on a cloud server in case one of those system updates is so catastrophic that it forces you to reformat your hard drive. The only thing you really lose is time because you have to redownload all you games and saves.

I had a Surface RT for about 2 years and that had automatic forced updates and I never had a problem. In fact, I don't recall there ever being a problem with auto updates on Windows RT ever, just in general.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Not much was loss. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I had a Surface RT for about 2 years and that had automatic forced updates and I never had a problem. In fact, I don't recall there ever being a problem with auto updates on Windows RT ever, just in general.

Nice anecdotal evidence.

Sadly I don't think your personal experience with a device which only has a specific set of hardware (unlike desktops and laptops) and hasn't gotten that many updates (not anywhere near as many as Windows has gotten in the same period of time) over the ~1.5 years you've had it will calm down anyone who is worried about forced updates in Windows.

Nice anecdotal evidence.

Sadly I don't think your personal experience with a device which only has a specific set of hardware (unlike desktops and laptops) and hasn't gotten that many updates (not anywhere near as many as Windows has gotten in the same period of time) over the ~1.5 years you've had it will calm down anyone who is worried about forced updates in Windows.

That's why I also added that in general Windows RT never had any problems with auto updates. Nice reading comprehension.

Also in case you weren't aware Windows RT received that same amount of updates as regular Windows, you know, cause its the exact same code base but just compiled for a different CPU architecture.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So, none of those things really concerns me. Some things are an improvement, IMO (ie; removal of windows media player which I haven't used in years (VLC player ftw!)). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I never found a single good reason why I'd choose Win7 Pro over Home Premium, it doesn't have a single feature that I use. So my custom PC is using Home Premium.

You're right.  While building nearly fifty computers last year (about 10 were high-endish gaming rigs), many of my informed clients chose Home over PRO.  Those that are saying "nobody who builds custom PCs with Windows 7 Home Premium" are obviously unaware of the tons of people who do.  The only main tangible difference between Home and Professional (especially for gamers) was the 16Gb RAM limitation for Home Premium, so it was hard for me to upsell PRO.  

The notion that automatic updates for Home users won't matter for most, or because it is for the "greater good", disregards the fact many of Home users do not need that kind of hand-holding.  To imply a great portion of the Home user base aren't power-users couldn't be further from the truth.

Regardless, if Microsoft is attempting to shift all power-users into their PRO platform, this will work.  They damn well know we want to control things like what updates roll out, so I personally will be looking at doing the Pro upgrade sometime in the near future.  Only time will tell what my customers think...

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Indeed, the only reason one would choose Pro over Home Premium is if you need more than 16GB of RAM, which I consider to be the maximum for a regular gaming PC. More is the realm of video editing and rendering.

Unless someone comes out with a patch quickly, this move would indeed push many prosumers and power users to Win10 Pro, which means they'd have to buy a new Windows license or an upgrade anyway.