Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

Fuzzy_Crumpkin

Windows has released plenty of bugged and glitched updates in the past that caused problems. There is absolutely NO reason for them to stop us from not auto updating.

Hopefully doing the ringed update stuff will prevent it from happening to a massive amount of users again. If there is a problem people in the fast ring should be able to catch it and prevent it from hitting everyone else.

Hopefully doing the ringed update stuff will prevent it from happening to a massive amount of users again. If there is a problem people in the fast ring should be able to catch it and prevent it from hitting everyone else.

I would rather just download the update myself, with windows update, I really don't see any way that this is a good thing for consumers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Windows has released plenty of bugged and glitched updates in the past that caused problems. There is absolutely NO reason for them to stop us from not auto updating.

Hey Trik'Stari, I've addressed this, its this part of my previous post.

Now, you will say that doing this kind of auto update puts millions of users at risk for receiving a faulty update that causes BSOD or other curruption. This won't happen, here is why. The Insider preview program is continuing! Yes, any update that will reach Windows 10 Home users will have to go through the following process below.

MS Internal testing -> Insider Fast Ring -> Insider Slow Ring -> Windows 10 Home users

The current/old model is MS Internal testing -> Windows users

In the new model there is two more layers of testing where the testing happens on hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of actual users.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Hey Trik'Stari, I've addressed this, its this part of my previous post.

Now, you will say that doing this kind of auto update puts millions of users at risk for receiving a faulty update that causes BSOD or other curruption. This won't happen, here is why. The Insider preview program is continuing! Yes, any update that will reach Windows 10 Home users will have to go through the following process below.

MS Internal testing -> Insider Fast Ring -> Insider Slow Ring -> Windows 10 Home users

The current/old model is MS Internal testing -> Windows users

In the new model there is two more layers of testing where the testing happens on hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of actual users.

I still don't trust them, and I still don't see ANY reason for them doing this. What's wrong with notifying me that an update is available (via windows update) and letting me decide when to download it?

This is absolutely NOT intended to benefit the consumer. I'm going to make that prediction right now. This will end up being some kind of back door for them to spy on people for whatever BS corporate malarky

Okay, I'm going to clear some shit up since some of the people quoted below are severely lacking in reading comprhension and/or critical thinking skills.

And someone really needs to take an anti-arrogance pill, which might require them to get off their faux high horse.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

guess Japan and Canada are screwed? Or maybe they just get their own versions.

Naw bud Canada's just counted as one of the States eh

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Not that they ever took anything lesser than ultimate. :P

Well if you are going to pirate why not go full out I guess.

I still don't trust them, and I still don't see ANY reason for them doing this. What's wrong with notifying me that an update is available (via windows update) and letting me decide when to download it?

This is absolutely NOT intended to benefit the consumer. I'm going to make that prediction right now. This will end up being some kind of back door for them to spy on people for whatever BS corporate malarky

Because 90% of people using Windows aren't tech savvy and are honestly to stupid to update it's just the reality.

This is clearly a move to get the non tech people to update there PC's without them needing to be involved or messing something up.

RTX2070OC 

Because 90% of people using Windows aren't tech savvy and are honestly to stupid to update it's just the reality.

This is clearly a move to get the non tech people to update there PC's without them needing to be involved or messing something up.

....and that concerns me how? I would still like the option to turn it off.

still doesn't make sense making it mandatory whatever the reasoning.

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

Still need CPU, RAM, and GPU

To be blunt: Power users are a vast minority. OSes are designed for the use of the majority of users. A few thousand people wanting the option (myself included) doesn't matter against the millions upon millions of people who can barely turn their PCs on and routinely fuck shit up because they don't understand anything.

To be blunt: Power users are a vast minority. OSes are designed for the use of the majority of users. A few thousand people wanting the option (myself included) doesn't matter against the millions upon millions of people who can barely turn their PCs on and routinely fuck shit up because they don't understand anything.

I would say it's far more than a few thousand. More like a few million, and then tens of millions of morons.

It's still stupid, and I will gladly wait to update (for as long as I can) to windows 10, until someone comes up with a method for turning it off.

I would say it's far more than a few thousand. More like a few million, and then tens of millions of morons.

It's still stupid, and I will gladly wait to update (for as long as I can) to windows 10, until someone comes up with a method for turning it off.

I'm sure someone will find some way around it. People can be very dedicated when they want something enough.

I'm sure someone will find some way around it. People can be very dedicated when they want something enough.

Indeed they can. And I will laugh heartily when this comes back to bite microsoft on the ass.

It might not concern you but it's a huge concern for Microsoft look at the Windows 8 vs 8.1 numbers those show that almost half of the users don't even know how to update there OS.

There are pretty much making the Pro the version for tech heavy people and Home Premium for the average person.

still doesn't make sense making it mandatory whatever the reasoning.

As I said above it seems to be a move to separate Home Premium and Pro so that Microsoft can do the hand holding which most people need.

The reality is that the people here in the forum that know what they're doing are the minority just look at the "Non Techie Thread" most people can barely use there PC let alone control updates.

While they could make a hidden option to get controls they probably want tech heavy users to switch to Pro.

RTX2070OC 

Indeed they can. And I will laugh heartily when this comes back to bite microsoft on the ass.

I'm sure it will be some complicated or in depth hidden thing that only power users are going to do, so it shouldn't effect the big group MS is targeting with this.

Windows media center is cool but honestly I never use it, the default media player is good enough, or I'll use VLC.

I have 8.1 pro with media center so I'm not worried about the updates thing (what will MS do if they accidentally release a bad update like they did a few months ago?!)

The only thing I'm sad about is my GPU's are one generation away from supporting DX12. Was hoping they would work because I have two and the dual GPU benefits are going to be nice but oh well.

all in all, doesn't seem like a bad upgrade to me. Nothing third party software can't solve anyway haha

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Guys. The lowest teir of Windows 10 won't be able to decline updates. Every other version will (if i'm reading that right). Calm down and read.

Still don't see anything about losing my Windows 7 key due to Windows 10 taking it. But I only read the post.

As I said above it seems to be a move to separate Home Premium and Pro so that Microsoft can do the hand holding which most people need.

The reality is that the people here in the forum that know what they're doing are the minority just look at the "Non Techie Thread" most people can barely use there PC let alone control updates.

While they could make a hidden option to get controls they probably want tech heavy users to switch to Pro.

and like I said, whatever the reasoning it shouldn't be mandatory. What your doing is lame justification of a bad business practice. It would be easy enough to hide the option in the system setting so that the non-tech savvy can't find it. Your defending more control being taken away from you which is fairly ironic since PC gamers are always getting after console gamers for the same bs... Your defending a corporation who is known to put out bad updates, so they are pretty much forcing people to upgrade their version. There is absolutely no reason it should be mandatory.

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

Still need CPU, RAM, and GPU

You just compared video game testing to Microsoft OS patch testing. I can't.

I also stated any software, it doesn't matter what the software is there will always be bugs that get through I just used games as an example because it was the first thing that came to mind. On top of that Windows Update tends to restart your PC after an update, or minimize whatever you're doing to warn you that its going to restart unless you tell it not to. There's no logical reason to do this, automatic updates are enabled by default and that means the only people that might have issues not getting updates, are people who manually disable the automatic updating themselves, so if they have an issue they only have themselves to blame.

See above. And do you also avoid Google Chrome because that auto updates without choice? inb4 Browser != OS

Actually, yes.

But I'm intrigued to hear you explain how a browser IS "==" to an OS.

I can't believe Home users cannot stop updates. That is absolutely absurd! And no desktop gadgets? What a shame! I need those, man!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

No! They aren't happy with little floppys!

17maemm1ihvhkjpg.jpg

Also:

7363_5d50_500.jpeg

*Updates to Windows 10* NOOOO! MY POOOOORRRRNNNN! ALL OF MY HORSE FETISH WAS ON THERE!

CPU: i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHZ CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: Evga GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 CASE: NZXT H440 SSD: Crucial MX100 128 GB HDD: 1 TB WD Blue MOBO: MSI z97 PC MATE FANS: 6x Corsair SP120, 1x Corsair AF140 Monitor: ASUS VN247 PSU: Corsair CX600M RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance

And do you also avoid Google Chrome because that auto updates without choice?

Yes. I don't use garbage, botnet browsers.