"The Witcher 3 can’t maintain 30fps on either the PS4 or Xbox One"

MegaDave91

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/206070-the-witcher-3-cant-maintain-30fps-on-either-the-ps4-or-xbox-one 

Witcher-31-640x353.jpeg

The Witcher 3 has been both critically and commercially successful since its release last week, but it’s not without its issues. Most notably, the frame rate on the PS4 and Xbox One has been sub-par. Nobody sincerely expected it to be hitting 60fps on either console, but it seems that it can’t even maintain a solid 30fps. We’re a year and a half into this console generation, and AAA developers still can’t keep the frame rate up.

The team at Digital Foundry did a brief comparison of the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game, but the results are far from clearcut. As you may remember, the PS4 version runs at 1080p, but the Xbox One uses dynamic resolution scaling to switch between 900p and 1080p depending on how graphically intensive the scene is. And while the PS4 is capped at 30fps, the Xbox One is not.

Neither console runs The Witcher 3 particularly smoothly, but the developer (CD Projekt Red) is well known for delivering beefy patches in the weeks and months after the initial release. Don’t hold your breath for a 60fps update, but there’s a decent chance that we could see a patch that improves performance closer to a solid 30fps.

A deliberate graphics downgrade for consoles and they STILL cannot run consistently at a modest 30fps? Let's not forget that the XBone doesn't even render this game at constant 1080p either...Wow.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Can't say I'm surprised.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

You people are naive if you think it has something entirely to do with the console rather than being a mixture of the weaker hardware ontop of horrible optimization by lazy, greedy developers.

The bias is the only thing that is hilarious.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I seriously doubt that there won't be a refresh of the peasant boxes by the end of next year. This generation of consoles are so far behind in graphical power that they were already completely laughable when they launched. 

That framerate is unbearable to watch

And why is XB1 winning? I thought PS4 was more powerful?

PS4 version is capped at 30fps. XBone also scales resolution between 900p and 1080p in this particular game.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

PS4 version is capped at 30fps. XBone also scales resolution between 900p and 1080p in this particular game.

Why didn't they cap Xbox frame rate too? Are they retarded? It doesn't make sense

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

And why is XB1 winning? I thought PS4 was more powerful?

Probably lower graphic settings for the Xbone. Looks like it's kinda fine on the Xbox side, but whatever settings they are using for the Xbone needs to be used for the PS4.

You people are naive if you think it has something entirely to do with the console rather than being a mixture of the weaker hardware ontop of horrible optimization by lazy, greedy developers.

The bias is the only thing that is hilarious.

I'm sorry, but when a game's graphics are intentionally crippled in favor of consoles, then said consoles cannot even run it at what's considered to most as (PC gamers) "unplayable"; I find this hilarious. Naive or not.

Probably lower graphic settings for the Xbone. Looks like it's kinda fine on the Xbox side, but whatever settings they are using for the Xbone needs to be used for the PS4.

The Xbox One scales the resolution down depending on the game and I imagine it scaled this game down to 900p, which explains the better framerate. The PS4 sticks to 1080p all the time, if I am not mistaken.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I can't even watch it. Those peasant boxs are dreadful. Can't believe I actually played on the ps4. Glad I upgraded to PC.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

actually it's amazing given the hardware on both can run all heavy textured games, while fps consider as subjective to anyone to be considered as "playable"

the hardware technically just AM1 Kabini

can we expect the same with desktop PC kabini ?

with so much raw power differences compared to these consoles, that's why at least we should expect more with better hardware, not less, not even the same performance or quality.

Witcher 3 also runs like shit on PC. Not surprising that the consoles can't get higher fps...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Witcher 3 also runs like shit on PC. Not surprising that the consoles can't get higher fps...

I will partially disagree with that statement. I can't speak for Kepler users, but the game runs great with Maxwell. 

AMD (and Nvidia for that matter) users really should disable "Hairworks".

To think my son is going to be asking for one of these new consoles to play NHL 16 on.  I have been trying to win one so I don't have to contribute a cent to buying one.  In fact I am lucky I am in the position where I can say to him I can't afford it and he knows it/believes it.  As for The Witcher 3 not being able to maintain 30 FPS on either console my God how were these ever called next gen with so little improvement?  These things are an abomination.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Anybody notice how blurry and terrible some of the PS4 textures were on many walls in the towns? Xbox definitely has a much shorter draw distance though.  I'm just blown away that it looks that terrible and still crashes into the low 20 fps. 

Game runs fantastic on my 290, but then again, you are running it on a 280x.  ;)

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I'm sorry, but when a game's graphics are intentionally crippled in favor of consoles that cannot even run it what's considered to most (PC gamers) "unplayable"; I find this hilarious.

The graphics weren't actually crippled all that much, from what I have read, so it isn't like it gave the consoles a huge advantage that should have boosted its performance well over a minium. Maybe if it was actually crippled I too would find it funny, but it wasn't. "Crippling the graphics" is an extreme exageration.

I see it running it, it is just not satiating to expensive PC gamers' standards (though below 30 FPS is ridiculous that's not my point). You guys cannot even put your bias and anti-console sentiments aside for a moment to realize comparing a lower budget gaming solution to a higher budget gaming (and more) solution is not only stupid but illogical. Of course more expensive hardware is going to run the game better. I'm not at all surprised it runs below the standards of the current consoles when the game isn't even optimized all that well or when you consider what the budget of the consoles is.

But hey, it is far more fun to be a "PC Master Race" so I guess I shouldn't point out the sheer stupidty/bias of the arguments and its side alone often presents...

Long story short, playing games on consoles still suck. Honestly, how difficult is it to lower the resolution to something the consoles can handle at acceptable frame rates? Because after going from playing Halo at 30FPs on the Xbox to 85FPS on my computer (85Hz LCD monitor), 30FPs is not good enough.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

lol

thats hilarious

I seriously doubt that there won't be a refresh of the peasant boxes by the end of next year. This generation of consoles are so far behind in graphical power that they were already completely laughable when they launched. 

I can't even watch it. Those peasant boxs are dreadful. Can't believe I actually played on the ps4. Glad I upgraded to PC.

Are they retarded? 

Yes.

To think my son is going to be asking for one of these new consoles to play NHL 16 on.  I have been trying to win one so I don't have to contribute a cent to buying one.  In fact I am lucky I am in the position where I can say to him I can't afford it and he knows it/believes it.  As for The Witcher 3 not being able to maintain 30 FPS on either console my God how were these ever called next gen with so little improvement?  These things are an abomination.

Seriously, you guys make me sick. This is not what a respectable, respectful community looks like. Yes, PCs allow better graphics, higher framerates, and you don't have to pay for online, That doesn't mean you need to, jokingly or not, refer to the users and or the consoles themselves as peasant(s). I can buy, for the money I've spent on my PC alone, a year of Xbox Live, an Xbox One, a 4K TV (could go for 1080p, but 4K is in budget.) and The Witcher 3. I'd still not spend as much as I have on my PC. The console market is not based around people looking to have the absolute best-of-the-best. No. They're to buy a console, throw a disc in, and play. Yes, Day One patches exist, I am aware. There was a 6GB one for The Witcher 3, if I remember correctly. (Correct me if I am wrong though, if you so wish.) So we're not outside of them either. Yes, you can mod on PCs and not on consoles. Yet, let's take a look back a few weeks. Paid mods made a big uproar, and everybody turned their pitchforks towards Steam / Gabe Newell. The PC platform is not perfect. Does it outperform consoles? Yes. Does it allow more freedom? Yes. Are consoles a joke? No. 

Seriously, there's a line between joke and just downright douchebaggery, and you folks are blurring it. I don't even own a console, and I do play PC, but come on..

The graphics weren't actually crippled all that much, from what I have read, so it isn't like it gave the consoles a huge advantage that should have boosted its performance well over a minium.

I see it running it, it is just not satiating to expensive PC gamers' standards (though below 30 FPS is ridiculous that's not my point). You guys cannot even put your bias and anti-console sentiments aside for a moment to realize comparing a lower budget gaming solution to a higher budget gaming (and more) solution is not only stupid but illogical. Of course more expensive hardware is going to run the game better. I'm not at all surprised it runs below the standards of the current consoles when the game isn't even optimized all that well or when you consider what the budget of the consoles is.

But hey, it is far more fun to be a "PC Master Race" so I guess I shouldn't point out the sheer stupidty/bias of the arguments and its side alone often presents...

I don't like being associated with PCMR, however I do like to prod at consoles every now and then. They do have their rightful place; I hope that is agreed upon by all. We were consoles gamers at one time.

Long story short, playing games on consoles still suck. Honestly, how difficult is it to lower the resolution to something the consoles can handle at acceptable frame rates? Because after going from playing Halo at 30FPs on the Xbox to 85FPS on my computer (85Hz LCD monitor), 30FPs is not good enough.

I agree, but a lot of people are fine with that framerate so I don't see them making any concrete changes any time soon. And when they lower the resolution PCMR complain "lulz running at 900p! stupid peasants!", so that's probably why they went this route to get a stable 30fps (or more than often, attempt to haha) at least on a modern resolution like 1080p.

I don't get why they won't stop wasting money on features a console, a lower budget solution for gaming, should not have. I can understand browser or music access, but there has to be routes they can take to make room for better hardware upgrades while still keeping the cost down. Then they wouldn't have to dumb down graphics for ports or settle on 28-30 FPS for their games.

It'll win the SpikeTV Video Game Awards award for "Most Cinematic Title of 2015" and continue to not televize pc gaming or non-sponsored awards.

Not even joking..

I don't like being associated with PCMR, however I do like to prod at consoles every now and then. They do have their rightful place; I hope that is agreed upon by all. We were consoles gamers at one time.

Meh, I've never had a real issue identifying myself among the PCMR flock although I really hate the culture of it recently.

Yes, I was blurring the line there a bit but was done satirically, not seriously.