Skyrim modders were not happy with the paid mods + petition against it

Fallout 4 is the reason I'm going as mad as I can.

If this goes through without massive resistance for a sustained period of time, then Fallout 4 modding will not be open and free.

Which sucks because I've been wanting Fallout 4 for years now...now the hype is dead for me. Hopefully this crap gets removed before F4 comes out, otherwise I won't be buying it.

(Continues to download mods from Nexus)

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Which sucks because I've been wanting Fallout 4 for years now...now the hype is dead for me. Hopefully this crap gets removed before F4 comes out, otherwise I won't be buying it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

You mean people actually spent real money to buy a fake potato?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

(Continues to download mods from Nexus)

That's the point, how long do you think they are gonna mod it for free when they can get paid on steam ? pretty sure , soon the nexus mods people will jump over to steam mods to monetize their work.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Interesting that Skyrim, where modding is the most strongly embraced (asides from GMod and Minecraft) is where this oh so brilliant move is impacting.

Now the future of modding as an activity is really up in the air right now, but can you imagine the amount of irreparable negative image this would have on modding, and PC gaming in general?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Interesting that Skyrim, where modding is the most strongly embraced (asides from GMod and Minecraft) is where this oh so brilliant move is impacting.

Now the future of modding as an activity is really up in the air right now, but can you imagine the amount of irreparable negative image this would have on modding, and PC gaming in general?

From the 3 games you mentioned, Skyrim is probably the most well known for the mods.

Minecraft and Gmod mods are taken for granted it feels like, where as people actually understand Skyrim mods are made by others.

If this goes through and many Skyrim mods became paid.. RIP SKYRIM MODDING 2011-2015

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's who point, how long do you think they are gonna mod it for free when they can get paid on steam ? pretty sure , soon the nexus mods people will jump over to steam mods to monetize their work.

Edit- 

Woops you meant mod developers. In that case, they probably won't be successful with that move. Judging by the reactions I don't think many people would actually buy mods from the workshop. Little to no buyers = pennies instead of quarters.

Couple of weeks ago: Valve rated Lowest Score for customer service.

Now: Valve forcing people to pay for mods.

I really want the drugs that Valve took to come up with this BS.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

That's was the point, how long do you think they are gonna mod it for free when they can get paid on steam ? pretty sure , soon the nexus mods people will jump over to steam mods to monetize their work.

Blast, good point. I didn't think of that.

Guess we're all screwed then :o

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

From the 3 games you mentioned, Skyrim is probably the most well known for the mods.

Minecraft and Gmod mods are taken for granted it feels like, where as people actually understand Skyrim mods are made by others.

If this goes through and many Skyrim mods became paid.. RIP SKYRIM MODDING 2011-2015

I could not care less about Skyrim's modabillity on it's own, as it is just one game out of many.

I am far more concerned about the precedence this will set for modding overall, as well as the scars this will leave for PC gaming. If this keeps up, then the eighth-gen consoles will not look all that bad as gaming platforms (not like it ever actually was, but you get my point).

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Doesn't matter which studio developed it. They'll be too scared of competing against themselves.

ESO and TES games are completely different gameplay wise.

evktSb8.jpg

Oh yea, the backend that a lot of mods need, SkyUI, is going paid as well. Have fun kids, reap what you sow. Now you're absolutely fucking over people because they NEED newer SkyUI releases for certain mods. Especially poorer people who have enjoyed the longevity of the Skyrim series. Congrats, you're effectively saying "fuck you" to what used to be PCs golden child just to make a quick buck. 

No word is SKSE will put their feet down and yank support, even though they should just to send a message to Valve and co. 

Come to the Console Master Race, we don't nickel and dime you for mods (we don't have any anyways)

PC Mustard Race led by the blob called GabeN rules supreme. He probably wanted to buy more Mustard but was running low on funds, hence these changes. 

Buy the game, buy skyui to be able to buy mods that will be used with other paid mods... 15 minutes later, I just got a not completely shitty version of skyrim, for only 300$! wahoo. /s

edit: woops double post

You should include one of my favorites:

-Give me money for no reason:

65034-1-1429869918.jpg

This adds a very basic new NPC to the game. She is a beggar.

Her name is Beth, and all she does is sit around outside Whiterun waiting for you to give her some money.

She actually seems to be pretty well-off already, based on her expensive clothes and jewelry,

but rain or shine you can find her out there begging for more money with a smile on her face.

Regardless of her situation, she will accept every coin you feel like throwing her way.

-------

Current Rig

-------

ESO and TES games are completely different gameplay wise.

Doesn't really matter.

-snip-

I was not sure if this was a spoof/parody mod, so did not include it.

will add it later today

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I added some more mods to the original post.

evktSb8.jpg

-snip-

*Sigh*

This is what I was most worried about and don't see how valve & bethesda money grab scheme makes any sense.  There are several must have framework mods that fix skyrim and enable a lot of the best mods.  It's intimidating enough for the uninitiated to jump into skyrim modding because of the layered cake of mods you need before you can apply the pretty looking icing mods to your cake/game.  Never mind having to micro-transact(or not so micro) several times just to enable what you actually want.

AND the thought of bethesda getting a cut for unofficial patches and SkyUI is vomit inducing to say the least.  They should have done them themselves as responsible stewards of the products they make and sell.  But why bother if they can make money on others doing it for them?  Hell why not start getting rid of some of their developers and content creators too?  Just out source their IP to modders, rack in the cash, and give big fat cashy bonuses to the upper management and HR cronies behind this half-assed scheme.

I do wonder if there are any modders that are underage whom valve and bethesda are entering into financial contracts with, or if they even give a fig to check.

It'll be interesting, and probably exasperating, to see where this all ultimately ends up.  I'm hoping that Nexus bands together and formulates a means where the modders there both get to continue working together and enjoy some financial reward, but I doubt the community has the means within them to furnish modders with gold plated faucets and Lambos.  Or even a particularly livable annual income.

*Sigh*

This is what I was most worried about and don't see how valve & bethesda money grab scheme makes any sense.  There are several must have framework mods that fix skyrim and enable a lot of the best mods.  It's intimidating enough for the uninitiated to jump into skyrim modding because of the layered cake of mods you need before you can apply the pretty looking icing mods to your cake/game.  Never mind having to micro-transact(or not so micro) several times just to enable what you actually want.

AND the thought of bethesda getting a cut for unofficial patches and SkyUI is vomit inducing to say the least.  They should have done them themselves as responsible stewards of the products they make and sell.  But why bother if they can make money on others doing it for them?  Hell why not start getting rid of some of their developers and content creators too?  Just out source their IP to modders, rack in the cash, and give big fat cashy bonuses to the upper management and HR cronies behind this half-assed scheme.

I do wonder if there are any modders that are underage whom valve and bethesda are entering into financial contracts with, or if they even give a fig to check.

It'll be interesting, and probably exasperating, to see where this all ultimately ends up.  I'm hoping that Nexus bands together and formulates a means where the modders there both get to continue working together and enjoy some financial reward, but I doubt the community has the means within them to furnish modders with gold plated faucets and Lambos.  Or even a particularly livable annual income.

The other issue is that most of these mods were created using programs that don't allow you to MAKE MONEY unless you buy a commercial license. So now all these modders have to get proper licenses. 

The underage thing is another one. Legally...their guardians need to be involved. 

Also, as you said, Beth is now taking money for unofficial patches that FIXED THEIR GAME in the first place. What in the name of fuck is that? Bethesda releases a broken game, modders fix the game up with patches and add ons, now they get a cut of things that fixed their game? If anything, they should be paying the modders 75% or more for doing this for their game. 

The other issue is that most of these mods were created using programs that don't allow you to MAKE MONEY unless you buy a commercial license. So now all these modders have to get proper licenses. 

The underage thing is another one. Legally...their guardians need to be involved. 

Also, as you said, Beth is now taking money for unofficial patches that FIXED THEIR GAME in the first place. What in the name of fuck is that? Bethesda releases a broken game, modders fix the game up with patches and add ons, now they get a cut of things that fixed their game? If anything, they should be paying the modders 75% or more for doing this for their game. 

Well at least you finally admit Bethesda has done something wrong and should be called out, kudos to you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

< $0.50 to unlock Moonspot's post >

Never would have thought this day would come. In less than a week, whoever thought of this idea managed to force mods and modders out of nexus, make modders quit their hobby and turned modders and players against each other. Many mods break the lore of the game. I wouldn't want to pay to break the lore of my game. This just plainly wouldn't work. Mods don't work 100% of the time either. One thing about modding is that modders and users both work together solve mod conflicts, if the user now has to pay for a mod. I just can't see the user wanting to spend time on troubleshooting. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Never would have thought this day would come. In less than a week, whoever thought of this idea managed to force mods and modders out of nexus, make modders quit their hobby and turned modders and players against each other. Many mods break the lore of the game. I wouldn't want to pay to break the lore of my game. This just plainly wouldn't work. Mods don't work 100% of the time either. One thing about modding is that modders and users both work together solve mod conflicts, if the user now has to pay for a mod. I just can't see the user wanting to spend time on troubleshooting. 

Mods don't work 100% of the time because they can conflict with each other.

And how would Modder X who sells his mods know how his mod doesn't work on Customer A's Skyrim install?

Modder X doesn't know what mods Customer A has and the workshop way of modding doesn't really make things clear on what is conflicting and stuff..

Also, this makes it very difficult for modders to use other mods..

If you have a modder who makes a paid mod, pretty much no other modder can use that anymore. Including paid and free mods using that first mod.

That is because you can't enforce someone to buy 2 mods to get one and the 2nd modder can't just include the first mod for free.

I have to say that upon further consideration, this is indeed a can of worms.

It could be good for the modding community, charging money means people could potentially make a living doing what they love, which can potentially attract more talented people (not more talented people, but more of them) and end up making some great mods etc.

However, Valve seems to be going about it all wrong, I have to agree that Valve should be the ones getting the 25%. The whole thing is a mess, it has potential for good or ill, and we will simply have to wait and see what happens.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Mods don't work 100% of the time because they can conflict with each other.

And how would Modder X who sells his mods know how his mod doesn't work on Customer A's Skyrim install?

Modder X doesn't know what mods Customer A has and the workshop way of modding doesn't really make things clear on what is conflicting and stuff..

Exactly. When you start charging people for that you gonna need to spend much more time in finding what works what and what doesn't, I'd imagine that would slow down the development. 

EDIT: Oh and only 25% of the cut? oh man.... that's just not worth the time and effort...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case