Experiences with non-techies

I then found out that he had an i7-4790K and 2 970's in SLI. Not bad, right? He had 2 4K monitors (at this point I'm thinking okay...) Then he told me that he put his monitors at 1080p because everything was too small *facepalm*. What's even worse, guess what he uses it for? Word processing and Minecraft. I almost cried. I hate to say this, but I'm pretty jealous of his rig. Right now I run battlefield 4 at 1080p with my good ol' i5-4440 and my budget 260X chugging along, pumping out 50fps at medium, and he's playing MC with 2 970's. IN 1080p! What's worse, he didn't even build it, he bought it online. The overkill-ness is real.

If you replace the 260X with a 970/980, you'd have one hell of a rig. Might not be as powerful as his, but it'd be pretty damn close

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

A really old man (worst example EVER), was comming to our pc store because he bought a pc that didn't work. he plugged it in, and nothing worked. ... he didn't push the power button... that said, he came back. the screen is still black. same freaking reason. he did not turn the darn thing on, we had to draw out the symbol of a on/off switch, i walked to the back and laughed reeeaaally hard i allmost cried, 3 times in a row (first for the not working pc, second for the not working monitor and third for the actual drawing) xD this has really happened :P but the guy was old (75?) and probably has never used an electrical device in his whole life (country side). that was the least tech savvy person i have ever encountered.

I've had the problem with the monitor not being on with my mother several times. She never ever checks and just assumes it comes on with the computer.

Not exactly a non techies problem per se, but every time someone claims that sodium is salt, a little bit of me dies inside.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I've had the problem with the monitor not being on with my mother several times. She never ever checks and just assumes it comes on with the computer.

Leave monitor on standby

set auto-detect display on monitor

??

PROFIT

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Not exactly a non techies problem per se, but every time someone claims that sodium is salt, a little bit of me dies inside.

<cough>YOU GOTTA ADD CHLORINE!!</cough>

Problem is, I'm poor

Have you considered selling the 260X, and that that might help pay for the new card?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Are they actually saying Sodium is a salt or is it just some sort of short-hand speech for common salt (sodium chloride)?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I know a non techie that always closes his Chrome window instead of opening a new tab :lol: 

Non techie: I went to the Ericsson mobile phone store before..
Me: Where? :huh:
Non techie: Ericsson.
Me: They never had stores here. 
Non techie: *a few hours later* Oh it was a Samsung store.

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

this is incredible

this signature exists. it is also highly original.

I get a call.

Colleague besides me laughs and giggles and asks for my Asset ID for my PC.

Me: "Why?"
Him: "I just need to grab something from your desktop"

"You are about to be signed out, 666... 666.... 666.... 666"..

Restarting (while I was on a call)....

"WOW"

Fella pulled a shutdown /i on me!

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Are they actually saying Sodium is a salt or is it just some sort of short-hand speech for common salt (sodium chloride)?

"and sodium is table salt! And what does it do when you put it in water? It dissolves! This is like little tiny super weak versions of the explosions I told you about earlier, that make it disappear."

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

So my friends hard drive in a mac book died so he was wanting to get a new one he came and asked me what is better for him, I told him about ssds bs hdds and now he is getting an ssd with an external hdd, this other shit head that I know told him not to do that since they go in pcs and that's a mac book............

I'm glad he listened to the engineer and not a psychc major :D

On a side not im still booting on a hdd :( , everytime I want to upgrade I need more storage, cad files take up too much space

If you are trying to get forge to work, modding it heavily and getting the mods(talking abt 100+ mods if that is even possible) to work at the same time... 3 hours is reasonable

something called modpacks. If you use skydaz (which is for lazy ass people) it would probally take 3 hours

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Yesterday I was talking with one of my old teachers who was considering getting a new computer for gaming and 3D modeling. He said the one he was looking into was a $700 pre-built from Best Buy. Immediately alarm bells started going off in my head and I offered to build one for him or at least design a parts list and compare it to the pre-built model. Reluctantly, he agreed, giving me a maximum price of about $800 (give or take a little) to see what I could do. So I designed a mini ITX machine with a 4690K, 8GB of RAM, GTX 960 (I introduced him to the the Shield TV and he said that was a great idea over an xbox for his kids) 1TB HDD, and 128GB SSD for $807. Then I asked him what pre-built system he was looking into. I looked at it and sure enough, my warnings of the pre-built market rang true. A non specific AMD FX processor, GT610, 4GBRAM, and 500GB HDD for $700. 

After I explained just how bad the parts in that machine were, sprinkling in some performance graphs from various websites for added effect, he hired me to build his system.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Yesterday I was talking with one of my old teachers who was considering getting a new computer for gaming and 3D modeling. He said the one he was looking into was a $700 pre-built from Best Buy. Immediately alarm bells started going off in my head and I offered to build one for him or at least design a parts list and compare it to the pre-built model. Reluctantly, he agreed, giving me a maximum price of about $800 (give or take a little) to see what I could do. So I designed a mini ITX machine with a 4690K, 8GB of RAM, GTX 960 (I introduced him to the the Shield TV and he said that was a great idea over an xbox for his kids) 1TB HDD, and 128GB SSD for $807. Then I asked him what pre-built system he was looking into. I looked at it and sure enough, my warnings of the pre-built market rang true. A non specific AMD FX processor, GT610, 4GBRAM, and 500GB HDD for $700. 

After I explained just how bad the parts in that machine were, sprinkling in some performance graphs from various websites for added effect, he hired me to build his system.

Crisis averted, he made a good choice :D

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

*applause*

Y U NO SSD?!

because i live on 50$ USD a month. 

no, my family doesnt provide me with food. i have to pay for atleast 30% of all the food i eat out of ''thier'' (our) kitchen. 

i have to buy all my own clothes.

and recently because my mom heard from some article that computers use electricity; (NO WAY?!?!?!?!) i have to help pay the electric bill. 

i dont have much money to use for myself. 

also my motherboard on my LGA775 rig only has sata-300mpbs sooooooo a regular brand new HDD can saturate that or close to it. 

my chemistry teacher says all salt is is sodium. 

#HomeSchoolingMasterrace

/jk

Crisis averted, he made a good choice :D

nonono, NOT crisis averted. 

crisis playable. B)

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

picard_clapping.gif

@Boink MVP of the day.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

He listened to you? Wow.. For once a happy ending with these types of stories in this thread. ^_^

and recently because my mom heard from some article that computers use electricity; (NO WAY?!?!?!?!) i have to help pay the electric bill.

3nIbEFX.png

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

basically my life.

It's my fault my moms celron laptop with 2 gb of ddr3 is slow. lol.

because i live on 50$ USD a month. 

no, my family doesnt provide me with food. i have to pay for atleast 30% of all the food i eat out of ''thier'' (our) kitchen. 

i have to buy all my own clothes.

i dont have much money to use for myself. 

also my motherboard on my LGA775 rig only has sata-300mpbs sooooooo a regular brand new HDD can saturate that or close to it. 

my chemistry teacher says all salt is is sodium. 

#HomeSchoolingMasterrace

/jk

nonono, NOT crisis averted. 

crisis playable. B)

Are your parents broke, or just assholes? No offense intended.

post-29616-Well-done-Sir-Reaction-GIF-Uo

The PCMASTERRACE is strong with this one...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs