Experiences with non-techies

People are amazed when I tell them that you can get Office for Mac. Not that you would ever want to but you can. Anyways, the next part is not really a non-techie story, but my dad comes home one day from work and is like yeah they don't want this anymore because they updated and gave it to me. It was an enterprise disc for office 2007 (My favorite version btw) and then I realized the best part the key was good for unlimited installs. Lets just say every computer of mine has office 2007 now.

Bro share the wealth, put the key in your signature or something.

I have a confession of my own to share. Today was the first day I realized GSATA 3 is slower then SATA 3. I'd been running my boot drive (Crucial M500) on GSATA for almost a year. I gained almost 200MB/s read speeds when I switched ports. Free performance?

More less hard drive. Everything is stored, including shortcuts. So of course its probably stored in random places. So the poor hard drive head has to move through all parts of the platter, so that takes a lot of time. An SSD isn't limited to moving platters however, so it can read data with no issues do to location.

Defragging drives is a real thing

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

p7TtCgy.png

Wait, so that means I have a CPU inside my CPU? :huh:

a88.jpg

Makes me real sad that this is the information fed to most of the kids here. :( Damn government. :angry:

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

p7TtCgy.png

Wait, so that means I have a CPU inside my CPU? :huh:

Makes me real sad that this is the information fed to most of the kids here. :( Damn government. :angry:

Well, technically that what you type on your keyboard (input) CAN come out of your printer (output) :P

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Bro share the wealth, put the key in your signature or something.

Ssssshhhhh.... We don't want any unwanted attention from MS.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Well, technically that what you type on your keyboard (input) CAN come out of your printer (output) :P

Well, that makes sense. :P

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

something made specifically to do that immediately would be called an electronic typewriter...

satellite40-typewriter_large.jpg

A friend of mine bought a "gaming" PC for $1000. He knows nothing about PC. 4 GB of RAM, 1 TB of HDD, no ssd, GTX 650, intel pentium dual core e2160... $1000 tho. What a crap system

that had better come with a good monitor...

it was like a chinese brand 720p monitor. never told him how much he could get with $1000 since it would break his heart.

that sort of hurts...

I've seen half-decent HP prebuilts with 23" IPS monitors for around 600USD (converted) here...

Ja, but loading the icons... Actually takes quite a while.

I must be suffering from SSD master race syndrome, because I just cannot imagine that :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It needed to be formally mentioned here:

My sister recently spent 3 hours "trying to install Minecraft" on both of her sons laptops.

How exactly one manage to take so long doing that I still do not know.

If you are trying to get forge to work, modding it heavily and getting the mods(talking abt 100+ mods if that is even possible) to work at the same time... 3 hours is reasonable

A guy i know said he had a new gaming PC so I asked him what graphics card he had. He said: "I have a Radeon GTX 970X with an AMD 4790K."

I then found out that he had an i7-4790K and 2 970's in SLI. Not bad, right? He had 2 4K monitors (at this point I'm thinking okay...) Then he told me that he put his monitors at 1080p because everything was too small *facepalm*. What's even worse, guess what he uses it for? Word processing and Minecraft. I almost cried. I hate to say this, but I'm pretty jealous of his rig. Right now I run battlefield 4 at 1080p with my good ol' i5-4440 and my budget 260X chugging along, pumping out 50fps at medium, and he's playing MC with 2 970's. IN 1080p! What's worse, he didn't even build it, he bought it online. The overkill-ness is real.

I then found out that he had an i7-4790K and 2 970's in SLI. Not bad, right? He had 2 4K monitors (at this point I'm thinking okay...) Then he told me that he put his monitors at 1080p because everything was too small *facepalm*. What's even worse, guess what he uses it for? Word processing and Minecraft. I almost cried. I hate to say this, but I'm pretty jealous of his rig. Right now I run battlefield 4 at 1080p with my good ol' i5-4440 and my budget 260X chugging along, pumping out 50fps at medium, and he's playing MC with 2 970's. IN 1080p! What's worse, he didn't even build it, he bought it online. The overkill-ness is real.

There are 2 possible explanations.

He's a drug dealer

His parents have given him everything in life and he is guaranteed to live in there basement until he dies.

I'm teaching computer lessons to a senior lady in my building. She's in her 80s and decided to get into computers. She bought a piece of junk Celeron based lappy that was manufactured around 2012 (it didn't even have Win 8.1) and she got ripped off- almost $450 with the "extended warranty" from Walmart, which we all know is like setting money on fire or flushing it down the toilet. Always get the OEM's warranty, not the store. 

Anyways she is quite unhappy with it. It is slower than a tortoise that has lost 3 of its legs to gangreene and using it is torturous. Now she's talking about upgrading to an iPad. It would definitely be much easier to use.

She's such a noob it's sad. She switched up her router and the ISP configured it for her so all she had to do was select the new network and enter the password. I was trying to explain it over the phone but she didn't get it. I described the WIFI symbol in the bottom right of the screen and told her how to click on it but she said it wasnt there. So I had to go to her place. Sure enough, it was there.

The things I do for free... I'm too nice.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

that sort of hurts...

I've seen half-decent HP prebuilts with 23" IPS monitors for around 600USD (converted) here...

atleast he's being nice and not hurting the poor thing's feelings. ;-; so many people practically attack people who buy systems like that. 

I must be suffering from SSD master race syndrome, because I just cannot imagine that :P

go find a hole. 

and die in it. 

If you are trying to get forge to work, modding it heavily and getting the mods(talking abt 100+ mods if that is even possible) to work at the same time... 3 hours is reasonable

ive spent the last couple weeks modding skyrim. 

if by getting it to work they mean making the game perfect. 

time is not an object and can be ignored for the sake of mods. 

There are 2 possible explanations.

He's a drug dealer

His parents have given him everything in life and hr is guaranteed to live in there basement until he dies.

probably both. 

his parrents are drug dealers. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

go find a hole. 

and die in it. 

Y U NO SSD?!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i don't have a lot of stories regarding non-techies. my two brothers are both non-techies tough, and they usually have no idea what i'm talking about when i try to have a tech related conversation.

they're massive car guys tough, and i guess i can always talk about those things with them.

i also made a tidy profit rooting and installing ROM's on my classmate's phones back in highschool!

Y U NO SSD?!

Y SSD SO EXPENSIVE?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Because

HHD 20gb/1$

SSD 2gb/1$

WTF nope holding out because I can handle pressing the power button on my pc and going to get a snack or something while waiting for it to turn on.

I have an SSD yet still do this.

Only due to having steam startup and for some reason it takes forever for steam to start properly :/

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

What? Why would that matter? Basically just a folder on the C drive, isn't it?

It doesn't have an effect, your desk top is either a short cut or the file itself (technically it can have an effect as it needs to populate all tht on screen but it is negligible). the number of programs in the start up folder matters or right the hand side of the task bar.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER