Experiences with non-techies

"and sodium is table salt! And what does it do when you put it in water? It dissolves! This is like little tiny super weak versions of the explosions I told you about earlier, that make it disappear."

This is a non-sciency (pretend it's a real word)

Yesterday I was talking with one of my old teachers who was considering getting a new computer for gaming and 3D modeling. He said the one he was looking into was a $700 pre-built from Best Buy. Immediately alarm bells started going off in my head and I offered to build one for him or at least design a parts list and compare it to the pre-built model. Reluctantly, he agreed, giving me a maximum price of about $800 (give or take a little) to see what I could do. So I designed a mini ITX machine with a 4690K, 8GB of RAM, GTX 960 (I introduced him to the the Shield TV and he said that was a great idea over an xbox for his kids) 1TB HDD, and 128GB SSD for $807. Then I asked him what pre-built system he was looking into. I looked at it and sure enough, my warnings of the pre-built market rang true. A non specific AMD FX processor, GT610, 4GBRAM, and 500GB HDD for $700. 

After I explained just how bad the parts in that machine were, sprinkling in some performance graphs from various websites for added effect, he hired me to build his system.

CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

He listened to you? Wow.. For once a happy ending with these types of stories in this thread. ^_^

He did listen, and I'll tell you all why. I gave him an option and I backed up my work with external sources, even letting him do his own digging. Whenever you explain something like this to anyone, always be patient, have outside information, and never give the impression that you are backing them into a corner. 

This really goes for anything you are trying to explain to someone, be patient and all but the most irrational will listen.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

He did listen, and I'll tell you all why. I gave him an option and I backed up my work with external sources, even letting him do his own digging. Whenever you explain something like this to anyone, always be patient, have outside information, and never give the impression that you are backing them into a corner. 

This really goes for anything you are trying to explain to someone, be patient and all but the most irrational will listen.

I think every other post with a similar event was dealing with an irrational person. :P

Or maybe that's just my bias.

41 tabs. Nice. :P I actually just recounted and I'm at 71 now. xD At least 45 of them are to various bits of AOSP.

Funnily enough, I'm using 6.3gbs of ram... Never really used any other browser extensively but is that good or bad considering the number of tabs?

It depends on how much ram you have. Windows allocates ram to applications based on the total amount and how much is free, and because Chrome runs each tab in a separate process ram gets allocated per tab rather than to the browser as a whole. The reason for it allocating more of you have more to spare is because some tabs will be ram-heavy (video stuff like Youtube for example) and this allows for those tabs to be stored in ram and quickly accessed rather than having it swapped in/out depending on which tab you've clicked on.

I have 8GB ram and with Chrome (and my 40+ tabs) and Steam open (paused downloading a game) I'm using 3.15GB. If we double that it's 6.3GB and you have just under double my tabs. If you had 4GB ram then Chrome would probably use 2GB and if you had over 32 then it could easily use up to 10 on that many tabs if it felt like it.

I have a MBP retina (probably gonna get hate over it) and because the screen is glass, people constantly touch my screen thinking that its a touch-screen and leave their fingerprints everywhere.

THE PAIN IS REAL. I tell everybody not to touch my screen and they still do. It hurts my OCD  :angry:

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

It depends on how much ram you have. Windows allocates ram to applications based on the total amount and how much is free, and because Chrome runs each tab in a separate process ram gets allocated per tab rather than to the browser as a whole. The reason for it allocating more of you have more to spare is because some tabs will be ram-heavy (video stuff like Youtube for example) and this allows for those tabs to be stored in ram and quickly accessed rather than having it swapped in/out depending on which tab you've clicked on.

I have 8GB ram and with Chrome (and my 40+ tabs) and Steam open (paused downloading a game) I'm using 3.15GB. If we double that it's 6.3GB and you have just under double my tabs. If you had 4GB ram then Chrome would probably use 2GB and if you had over 32 then it could easily use up to 10 on that many tabs if it felt like it.

My query was more would a different browser use more or less ram since people complain about its heavy ram usage.

On that note though, that 6.3gb was total used. So including other stuff like Outlook, Eclipse and whatever else I had open at the time. I dunno.. For that number of tabs, around 5gb (once the other programs are taken into account) doesn't seem too bad but maybe that's just me.

My query was more would a different browser use more or less ram since people complain about its heavy ram usage.

On that note though, that 6.3gb was total used. So including other stuff like Outlook, Eclipse and whatever else I had open at the time. I dunno.. For that number of tabs, around 5gb (once the other programs are taken into account) doesn't seem too bad but maybe that's just me.

If you've got the ram to spare it's not a problem (after all, what's the point of having a lot of ram if it just sits there?)

I think some other browsers do use less ram - there are specific lightweight browsers that are designed to, and Firefox probably uses less (and also has better support on Youtube, ironically). I don't know about FF but part of what makes Chrome heavier is the one process per tab thing as that will add to the ram count.

THE PAIN IS REAL. I tell everybody not to touch my screen and they still do. It hurts my OCD  :angry:

I know, its so annoying, the more you tell them to stop the more they do it. I bring a cloth wherever I go now because of it. And of course there's people that eat over their keyboards, it makes me cringe especially because you see their keyboards and its like full of crumbs and stuff and you'd wonder if their computer would overheat from the crumbs stuck in the heatsink.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

There's this person at my school, that no matter how many times I've convinced him otherwise thinks that a computer is a tower and a laptop is not a computer. So whenever I say "so your computer..." he says, "I don't have a computer" and then I reply with, but don't you have your acer laptop and then he says, "Its a laptop not a computer"

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

If you've got the ram to spare it's not a problem (after all, what's the point of having a lot of ram if it just sits there?)

I think some other browsers do use less ram - there are specific lightweight browsers that are designed to, and Firefox probably uses less (and also has better support on Youtube, ironically). I don't know about FF but part of what makes Chrome heavier is the one process per tab thing as that will add to the ram count.

why would i have it if it just sits there?

to just sit there. 

ego.

bragging rights.

ego rights. 

braggo. 

because why not. 

bragging why ego not. 

a feeling of vastness. like when you look up at the stars when you're far from any city and you feel like the entire plane of existance is visible. 

more room for theoretical pictures of waffles and rabbits but not actually having them open because its theoretical and needs to be empty ram. 

bragging waffle vastness not ballin. 

need i say any more?

************************************************************************************

there are purposfully light wieght browsers, my BF @Jack.EXE mentioned to me Midori, shit runs flawlessly on something like puppy linux and a REALLY low end PC. (if i remember correctly) 

I know, its so annoying, the more you tell them to stop the more they do it. I bring a cloth wherever I go now because of it. And of course there's people that eat over their keyboards, it makes me cringe especially because you see their keyboards and its like full of crumbs and stuff and you'd wonder if their computer would overheat from the crumbs stuck in the heatsink.

i eat at my desk simply because its too convienent currently. 

its the only place i can be other than the bathroom that im away from my asshole mom. :P

also my keyboard sucks anyway the sooner this thing dies ''by accident'' the sooner i can beg for a replacement to hold me over untill i build my new one. (check sig for that) 

There's this person at my school, that no matter how many times I've convinced him otherwise thinks that a computer is a tower and a laptop is not a computer. So whenever I say "so your computer..." he says, "I don't have a computer" and then I reply with, but don't you have your acer laptop and then he says, "Its a laptop not a computer"

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

you'd wonder if their computer would overheat from the crumbs stuck in the heatsink.

How would you get crumbs in the heatsink?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My dad decided to shop around a lil more for a laptop, and today asked me this, "So, I should make sure it has at least a 500MB hard drive right?"  I nearly put my head through my desk.

Ever get that feeling you have came in in the middle of something?

What's wrong with your dad wanting a 500 meg hard drive?

"This too shall pass"

Ever get that feeling you have came in in the middle of something?

What's wrong with your dad wanting a 500 meg hard drive?

500MB is nothing

Pour them in?

After having logged off, making sure there is no power to the system, taking the side off...

You might as well cringe at the thought of them taking a hammer to their MoBo , that's not going to happen either.

"This too shall pass"

Go get a drink during a system build, and leave a four year old eating lunch by it.  It will happen.   :D

Yeah well. ;)

Fortunately my two are twenty two and twenty one now, they know better than to 'fiddle', or to touch things they shouldn't or...

"This too shall pass"

500MB is nothing

Yup your right I saw MB  and thought GB .  Colour me confuzzled.

<pipe n slippers mode>

First desktop I used didn't have a hard drive.  First HDD I had was 40 Meg, yup Meg (that system had a whopping 4meg of RAM)

<mode:end>

"This too shall pass"

why would i have it if it just sits there?

to just sit there. 

ego.

bragging rights.

ego rights. 

braggo. 

because why not. 

bragging why ego not. 

a feeling of vastness. like when you look up at the stars when you're far from any city and you feel like the entire plane of existance is visible. 

more room for theoretical pictures of waffles and rabbits but not actually having them open because its theoretical and needs to be empty ram. 

bragging waffle vastness not ballin. 

need i say any more?

************************************************************************************

there are purposfully light wieght browsers, my BF @Jack.EXE mentioned to me Midori, shit runs flawlessly on something like puppy linux and a REALLY low end PC. (if i remember correctly) 

Yeah, bragging rights is fair, though there's no point wasting money unless you can. I only 'need' 8GB but I'm gonna buy another stick to get 16GB dual-channel. Won't need it all but could come in handy and I haven't wasted money on 32 or 64 for a 1080p/1440p(eventually) gaming system.

So @pspfreak made me watch some HSN...I decided to browse the electronics section of it, and god every product video is bs. It's not really an experience, but I think it deserves a spot in this thread xD http://www.hsn.com/shop/electronics/ec

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

So @pspfreak made me watch some HSN...I decided to browse the electronics section of it, and god every product video is bs. It's not really an experience, but I think it deserves a spot in this thread xD http://www.hsn.com/shop/electronics/ec

its like mah braen hez deiherreyuhhh...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

its like mah braen hez deiherreyuhhh...

i lst 1k brn cels wathin tht crap

Spoiler

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

<pie n slippers mode>

First desktop I used didn't have a hard drive.  First HDD I had was 40 Meg, yup Meg (that system had a whopping 4meg of RAM)

<mode:end>

Awesome, was it a 386dx?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How would you get crumbs in the heatsink?

Open test bench, eats a cookie over it.

Mystery solved.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

So @pspfreak made me watch some HSN...I decided to browse the electronics section of it, and god every product video is bs. It's not really an experience, but I think it deserves a spot in this thread xDhttp://www.hsn.com/shop/electronics/ec

I've mentioned this place myself a few times. Closest thing I saw to a gaming rig was a 4770 and a gt 610 for like around 1,500; 1,600 I think...

I've mentioned this place myself a few times. Closest thing I saw to a gaming rig was a 4770 and a gt 610 for like around 1,500; 1,600 I think...

Wow, that's some horrible pricing!

Spoiler

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Wow, that's some horrible pricing!

Wait might have been 1,300... Still pretty bad tho