Experiences with non-techies

just a post for all of us

attachicon.gifa7ygBje_460s.jpg

Yes help them, but the less they know the better for them, and the better for you.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yes help them, but the less they know the better for them, and the better for you.

See my parents are both in IT but don't know shit about hardware. So half the time I'm manipulating them for my personal gain

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Actually, any laptop that isn't classified as ultraportable, subnotebook or netbook has upgradeable components. And believe it or not, the most hated laptop manufacturer on this forum (Apple HP) is makes easily upgradeable business-grade laptops. And, if you're brave enough and are sure that the CPU isn't soldered in, you can swap the CPU of a laptop.

Are school laptops are HP's. they have 2012 (They have AWFUL NAMING SCHEMES) "probooks". They have ATI HD 4250M. WTF. AND IT HAS A DUAL CORE ATHLON. WTF

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

See my parents are both in IT but don't know shit about hardware. So half the time I'm manipulating them for my personal gain

You would be surprised how many people in software for IT don't know anything about hardware... As long as they can write code and develop stuff without an hiccups or issues, they don't really mind.. People like me who know hardware know programs for coding, but don't really know how to.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

@Yummy_Rifle_107 @Darkman @jayctech

So we all do that huh ? :D

i did it too, but i ended up panicking, realizing it was the switch, flicking the switch, trying the power button again, and the system power's on and off. ended up having to RMA the PSU...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

not quiet the funniest story, but here I go:

I was building a rig for one of my friends in a nzxt h440, after finishing everything up, it posts perfectly fine and everythings works properly.

The next day he calls me that the h440 logo led was not working. He even asked if he should rma the case.

I told him that before he does it, I would take a look at it. Here comes the embarrassing part: i saw it didn't work (worked the day before) and opened up the case. I followed the cable leading away from the led, only to see that some part of this cable managment seems strange, after some more looking at the cable, i realize that there is a button on the back of the case to turn the led on or off.

I was baffled that i didn't recognize it on the spot. After my discovery, i informed my friend about the button. His excat answer: "oh, that button, that doesn't do anything, yesterday i was curious what it would do if i'd pusch it". Well turns out his computer wasn't even on when he pushed it, and upon starting the rig up, the leds wouldn't work.

I just had to facepalm, at him, not realizing what the button he pushed was for, and at me for taking so long to "fix" the problem, only to find out that there is a button.

one day when I first got my H-440 I accidentally pushed the button all the way through, and when i came back the next time i forgot and was like "wasn't there supposed to be a light button there?"

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

My friend's playing GTA at my place, and it seems rather slow. I wasn't paying attention cause I was doing something else. I checked the settings and they were already on the lowest. It should run well, considering that it's fine when I play it. When I checked task manager, there were 6 GTA Vs running. I was like WTF!?! turns out he double clicked the shortcut multiple times cause it wasn't loading within the first 1 nanosecond. I feel scared to leave him on his own.

It seems like I'm posting here multiple times. You can say that I'm faking things, but it's also possible that there are idiots around me that can't survive without me helping them all the time.

Also, my friend tried to run Autocad 2016 on a laptop with 2 GB of RAM and was complaining about how slow it is. When I asked why she bought it, she said that it was the cheapest laptop around and didn't bother with the specs. Also, my department gave out laptops to those that can't afford it. When I looked at the specs, it was horrendous. I'm in an engineering college, they should know better! Wait, the bureaucracy is being held by old hags that can't know better. 

Was in my final IT class in high school when my teacher was asking for topics to revise. The guy sat next to me said 'Computer Hardware'.

Fair Enough.

My teacher asks what item on our desks is the computer. Everyone points at the monitor.

He asks where the CPU is, people were pointing everywhere apart from the PC.

Why is it when we get more technologically advanced, people get more stupid about it?

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

Was in my final IT class in high school when my teacher was asking for topics to revise. The guy sat next to me said 'Computer Hardware'.

Fair Enough.

My teacher asks what item on our desks is the computer. Everyone points at the monitor.

He ask where the CPU is, people were pointing everywhere apart from the PC.

Why is it when we get more technologically advanced, people get more stupid about it.

hZjyGwi.jpg

BDq14G9.jpg

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Fair Enough.

Why is it when we get more technologically advanced, people get more stupid about it?

Because as we become more dependent on it, we don't care about it as much. It just works, and when it doesn't work, there is someone who can make it work. Case in point, computers. The members of this forum can name every part of a computer, while people on /r/jokes might not be able to. They just rely on them to post their horrible jokes.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Fair Enough.

Still don't understand why people once tech became more known quit fixing shit and started throwing it out... Now they complain about waste... Gee I wonder why.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Me: *on this very thread*

Friend: ohh, Linus tech tips eh?

Me: yeah what about it

Friend: so is that linus like the guy who invented Linux?

Me: palmface

My dad said the same.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Fair Enough.

The more advanced, the more idiot proofing that has to be done. My mom calls my PC hard drive, and then calls my monitor, display thing. And my Nexus 7 2013, iPad. IT has been a good, well paying career. If your just an ass that think he/she knows everything, be prepared to get fired and sued when your boss asks you to make a private NAS cloud.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Don't know if this technically counts, but I went to the optician a couple of weeks ago... Their computers are still running XP..

Went to a laser tag place yesterday... The computers had XP, and the animation was very choppy.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I may have posted this already but it popped into my mind just now and felt like sharing.

My boss told one of our clients that the reason (at that moment) the internet was slow because someone was using most of the bandwidth.

Client then said "but we should be able to use as much internet as we want".

Sometimes I wonder where people get these ideas from.

I'm just going to leave this here...

qSwZ09r.png

and then the best one of all (this guy wasn't being sarcastic, he was in an argument with someone else when he brought this up)

SiXSW3r.png

I'd love to spend 10 minutes as those guys, it must be so wonderful being so dumb.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

So my friend complained about how stupid his friend (not me) is for buying a 13" rMBP. Then he says that all Apple products are crap. I ask him why he think so. He says because they just are. I ask him why has no such hate agains Google or Microsoft. He says because he hasn't had any such problems with them, and that his problem with Apple is because it exists. I ask him why isn't that a problem with Google or MS. He says because it just isn't.

people like this are even worse than those who just buy apple because they don't know any better... they just convince people that apple bashing is always pointless and attention seeking.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People talking about connecting to "Wi-Fi" but mean cellular data. FACE-KEYBOARD wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww oops I landed on the w key.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

People talking about connecting to "Wi-Fi" but mean cellular data. FACE-KEYBOARD wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww oops I landed on the w key.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT oops landed on the shit key...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

This is what I get for becoming the "IT guy" in my department

AND another one for the "why the fuck are this people even allowed to get their hands on a computer"

I might become a regular here

My friend has a laptop for me to fix. She wanted me to reinstal windows cause she thought there was some urgent problems. When I first turned it on, I am greeted by the sound of those thermal printers that prints on papers with perforated sides. I'm not even exaggerating. I'm thinking of how badly this girl must've treated her laptop or maybe how poor she was that she can't afford a new one...........wait, isn't that an ipad and an iphone that she has?

And so, after painfully booting into the desktop, I see nothing wrong with it. The laptop boots relatively quickly, it was rather responsive, and there wasn't too much clutter. When I asked her what the problem was, she said that I should see it on the bottom right corner of the screen. If you guess "Windows activation", get yourself a cookie. Turns out she wanted me to reinstal her windows just for that little bitty thing. I told her that it doesn't require a reinstal and that everything is fine and could be solved in other ways, but she insisted. And so here I am typing away while windows is "Expanding Windows files (4%)" thinking, "Maybe I should move and start anew, keeping my savvyness to myself

Colleague beside me put the customer on mute and started laughing.

Customer is filling out security questions and as my colleague has RC'ed on her computer, she asks:

"Can you see my security questions?" and he replies no, because he had RC minimized. 

He opens it back up...

Question 1: My favorite position

Answer 1: Doggy

LOL, what a great security question

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Colleague beside me put the customer on mute and started laughing.

Customer is filling out security questions and as my colleague has RC'ed on her computer, she asks:

"Can you see my security questions?" and he replies no, because he had RC minimized.

He opens it back up...

Question 1: My favorite position

Answer 1: Doggy

LOL, what a great security question

FTFY, and what a question. Mine are what's your cat's name and stuff like that.

LG G3 Vigor