Experiences with non-techies

I have one for ya. One I've been waiting to throw in here for a long time.

Whenever my mum wants to turn off something, she doesn't turn off the actual device she wants to turn off, she turns off the TV or monitor. Anyone else had this?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I have one for ya. One I've been waiting to throw in here for a long time.

Whenever my mum wants to turn off something, she doesn't turn off the actual device she wants to turn off, she turns off the TV or monitor. Anyone else had this?

Fools my dad :D He comes in my room and shakes the mouse to see if it's on. He hasn't figured out that the monitor has to be on like a tv.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

So this happened a week ago. My friend wanted to buy a laptop for his video/photo editing. He is studying graphics designing. I insisted and convinced him to go for a comparatively cheap pc. So he agreed dropes me home and went to the mall. There he saw a beautiful laptop (and loved it has i5). Next day asked me to go with him and see something buys that laptop (i5 some 1.8ghz, no gpu 4gb ram, 500gb hdd) for freakin 1200 usd. And i was standing there face palming because they were having clearance sale and a laptop that had a betted specs (i7 4330u or sth like that with boost clock to 2.4ghz, gtx 870m, 8 gb ram, 1tb hdd) for 870 bucks ( orignal price was some 1500ish dollars) but even on my half hour arguing hadnt had a point because the laptop he bought was just "beautiful" i was like kill me please

Not sure if trolling or just stupid... I pick both, but you decide...

311wbk8.jpg

What's the review of?

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

What's the review of?

Whoops, I forgot to mention that. :P

It's for the Intel Core i5-2500K... :o

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Well I found out 2 weeks ago that my mother would rid her computer case of dust via hoover, I nearly cried.

Why? (static tends not to be a problem once componets are installed and the PSU is plugged in [but switched off])  I vacuum a lot of systems and have never had (fx:touches wood) a problem.  Mind you I am pretty careful not to run the actual wand over the parts but having it just at the entrance to the case and GENTLY brushing (Make up or very soft paint brushes only please no: gone hard, left six months in turps,congealed paint etc) the crap/dust bunnies to the edge of the case works FOR ME.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

So, last week someone got to me and asked me to build a gaming pc where he can play BF4 on at high settings.

so I said 'shure' and when I asked for his budget he said:

140 Euros.......

GOD GOD GOD GOD WHYYYYY

I said that to play BF4 JUST OK, you need a computer that is atleast at the 300 dollar range.

So he said to me that that was bullshit and I should stop selling pcs because im asking to much LOL

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

well, if the P4 was 775, the 1155 socketed I5 would have fitted in the slot physically, but apparently he had a 478-Socket P4

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Schoolmate: Hey I just upgraded my pc so I can play far cry 4

Me: Hey that's nice so what part did you replaced (he has a gt 630)

Schoolmate: I upgraded my ram to 1 Tb and I didn't use any normal ram I used a ram called SSD. Heck I can play every games now with high settings.

Me: :/

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

People thinking they can download RAM....

that's hillarious !

CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz || MOBO : Asus P5P43TD || RAM : Kingston 4GB Dual channel DDR3 666MHz || VGA : Asus EAH 5870 1GB GDDR5

SSD : KINGFAST F9 128GB || HDD : WDC Caviar Blue 300GB & WDC Green Power 500GB || SOUND : Soundblaster audigy 2 ZS SB0350 || HSF : CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus || PSU : Corsair VS550

OPTICAL : LG DVDRW Super Multi 24X SATA || CASE : Dazumba Dvito 902 || MONITOR : BenQ G922HDA || SPEAKER : Genius SP-G10 || KEYBOARD: Logitech Classic Keyboard K100 ||MOUSE : Elephant DragonWar Dragunov 

that's hillarious !   < IN RESPONSE TO A JAN 2013 POST.>

It's hilarious that it has taken you nearly two years to reply to that

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The post you quoted made my day......lol

You just made my day in replying to a post that is 2 years old.

My laptop was over heating and would cost more to keep it going rather than to build tiddles. To this day i get asked why didn't i get the laptop repaired because it was a very good laptop???

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

When my mom came to visit my sister she brought the password for her wifi connection at home in case she wanted to use the wifi at my sisters place...

If this was true, I'd be on someones fast as fuck connection... 3Mb/s down is terrible. It took me over 30 hours to download Farcry 4. GG

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

If this was true, I'd be on someones fast as fuck connection... 3Mb/s down is terrible. It took me over 30 hours to download Farcry 4. GG

I have that connection too and I want FC4. So fuck...... Hope watchdogs is better though

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Dell, Acer, Toshiba and stuff can make bad computers occasionally but HP makes bad computers ALL THE TIME!

I can recommend (from experience) that Toshiba makes well built laptops for their price point. My 3 I've had lasted me a good long time, and my last one before this one I have now is still working, and was given to my friend for uni work

@RobbieX27. I know right. I watched a video once and it was a Screen Capture and on one of the tabs he had open he had searched 'How to download RAM?' into Google Search.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

I have 11mb/s now, but obviously there are still people in the world using 3mb/s connections.

are you using dialup?

I can recommend (from experience) that Toshiba makes well built laptops for their price point. My 3 I've had lasted me a good long time, and my last one before this one I have now is still working, and was given to my friend for uni work

It really depends in all honesty, some Toshiba's especially the low end will really suck but so will allot of other manufacteres.  I find that in the very low end notebooks Toshiba, Acer and HP will use the same laptops just rebranded.  And then in the slightly higher range they will start to split off.  

However, Toshiba is still the #1 Adware brand, that bundles garbage with their notebooks, and some of that garbage is hard to remove.  

When the internet went down at my school. Somebody told me that we had to plug in the wireless access point so that it would work. The PC I was trying to access the internet on was a Desktop PC and was connected through an ethernet cable directly to a ethernet socket, so the PC was not connected to the network wirelessly and has never been connected to that particular access point. I said to this person it is not a wireless computer so why would plugging in a wireless access point affect it in any way if it is connected using ethernet cable.

I recently (got paid for it) built a computer and set up the wireless network for some people.  This is how it went. 

So, first I look and do some fiddling and come to the conclusion they are running DSL, so we go and get a modem router.  

Then, the modem router doesn't work. The modem router is faulty, it wont even turn on. So we get a new modem router.

Then after waiting 3 hours for the ISP to call back we find out that we "HAVE" to use the provided modem because its the settings pre-applied. 

So, alright.  They won't tell us the settings for the ISP.

Then we go and buy a router, I try to set it up in automatic mode. In this mode it doesn't work, it says the modem isn't talking. 

So, we go and call the ISP AGAIN.  3 hours later they call back. 

We then get this lady on the TECH SUPPORT LINE, who ISNT trained!!!

So we wait another 3 hours, and they finally tell us the numbers.  

This is more of a, how ISPs really stink.  

One of my friends has a 5-year-old Toshiba, he's had to rework it so much over the past two it's crazy. That being said, he's a techie, just one on a very limited budget.