Experiences with non-techies

God that sounds like these damn samsung chromebooks. SUPER hot after a few days of running. Even if they are only open a few hours a day.

I believe that laptop was of the Pavilion lineup

Not an issue with them at my school... :/ But they are way too flimsy.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

God that sounds like these damn samsung chromebooks. SUPER hot after a few days of running. Even if they are only open a few hours a day.

I believe that laptop was of the Pavilion lineup

Yep... 

Not an issue with them at my school... :/ But they are way too flimsy.

I bought an HP stream 11 the other day and it can get hot when charging (as normal) but its passively cooled and it runs better than the slower HP pavillions with fans.  This thing idles in the 30s for CPU and 40s for motherboard and peaks at around 60c for cpu and 60c for motherboard.

I bought an HP stream 11 the other day and it can get hot when charging (as normal) but its passively cooled and it runs better than the slower HP pavillions with fans.  This thing idles in the 30s for CPU and 40s for motherboard and peaks at around 60c for cpu and 60c for motherboard.

GG HP, you're better with cooling if you remove the fans. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

With all this HP talk... one of my longest-lived desktops was an HP. And my last desktop before this one was an HP. My current desktop is custom-built though.

Their laptops are hot as fuck. I have a old one with a Pentium reject (Celeron) single core at a whopping 1.7GHz and it's at 100% load on Chrome... Also burns your thighs while booting.

What were some of the other specs on it? Do you know when it was made?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What were some of the other specs on it? Do you know when it was made?

No idea on the year, the GPU is most likely a Nvidia GTxxxx...

Spoiler

Spoiler

YES! I KNOW! It wasn't shipping, it has a freaking clip.

Someone at HP was being such as lazy ahole they didn't plug it in! Also, I bet using a power supply not even 80+ is better than the ones HP use. HP and their generic brands, they don't even say the wattage some of them.

I just watched that video. A LAPTOP POWER SUPPLY. NO EXPANSION SLOTS, NOT EVEN FOR HARD DRIVES. FUCKING CRAP. A SHITTY CPU COOLER THAT PROBABLY WON'T DO JACK. To make matters worse, most of the case is hollow!! There's no point for the PC to be so big! Well, I guess if you're going to do such a bad job at cable management, I guess it makes sense to have all that space then!

I seriously hope not all HP computers are this horrendous. Even the higher end computers. Honestly.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

With all this HP talk... one of my longest-lived desktops was an HP. And my last desktop before this one was an HP. My current desktop is custom-built though.

You are probably the luckiest person on earth then.  Because thats often not the case. 

I just watched that video. A LAPTOP POWER SUPPLY. NO EXPANSION SLOTS, NOT EVEN FOR HARD DRIVES. FUCKING CRAP. A SHITTY CPU COOLER THAT PROBABLY WON'T DO JACK. To make matters worse, most of the case is hollow!! There's no point for the PC to be so big! Well, I guess if you're going to do such a bad job at cable management, I guess it makes sense to have all that space then!

I seriously hope not all HP computers are this horrendous. Even the higher end computers. Honestly.

Their SUPER expensive series are built well, but every other one, even the mid range laptops with 8GB of RAM and a quad core are built poorly.  In terms of desktops I know they all suck, esspeically thier all-in-ones.  If I had a computer company I would always make sure computers had high quality and if people couldn't afford the lowest end one so be it.

No idea on the year, the GPU is most likely a Nvidia GTxxxx...

Wait, the CPU didn't have an iGPU? Is the nvidia card a steaming turd? Do you remember when you bought it?

You are probably the luckiest person on earth then.  Because thats often not the case. 

We bought the first desktop in 2001 and retired it in 2006, after the power cable failed and we couldn't get a replacement. Second desktop only lasted two years though.

You are probably the luckiest person on earth then. Because thats often not the case.

Their SUPER expensive series are built well, but every other one, even the mid range laptops with 8GB of RAM and a quad core are built poorly. In terms of desktops I know they all suck, esspeically thier all-in-ones. If I had a computer company I would always make sure computers had high quality and if people couldn't afford the lowest end one so be it.

How much do you have to pay for quality? Do all the HP computers have all the bad qualities I mentioned?

Yep... 

How's the keyboard on the 11? Is it uncomfortably tiny? Is it worth the extra $30 to get the 13?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

How much do you have to pay for quality? Do all the HP computers have all the bad qualities I mentioned?

Like $2000. Its their Envy series. 

How's the keyboard on the 11? Is it uncomfortably tiny? Is it worth the extra $30 to get the 13?

Yeah, its fine. Its not tiny, or uncomfortable.  If I were to say anything it would be that the keyboard can be a little membrane-mushy as times and doesn't have a statisfying click. 

Like $2000. Its their Envy series.

Yeah, its fine. Its not tiny, or uncomfortable. If I were to say anything it would be that the keyboard can be a little membrane-mushy as times and doesn't have a statisfying click.

Good lord. Two grand. Fuck no. I could build an SLI computer and play video games in 4K!

On an unrelated note, I saw the stream 11 idle at 30C. I built a PC with a i7-4771, and H55 that idles at 35C. That sound normal to you?

Edit: do all the non-envy PCs have all the bad qualities I mentioned?

Good lord. Two grand. Fuck no. I could build an SLI computer and play video games in 4K!

On an unrelated note, I saw the stream 11 idle at 30C. I built a PC with a i7-4771, and H55 that idles at 35C. That sound normal to you?

Well, yeah.  Because the celeron in the stream is way less powerful and only has 2 cores, while the i7 has 4 cores and is higher clocked.  And I'm sorry, but the H55 is worse than the Hyper 212 evo in my opinion :( 

Well, yeah. Because the celeron in the stream is way less powerful and only has 2 cores, while the i7 has 4 cores and is higher clocked. And I'm sorry, but the H55 is worse than the Hyper 212 evo in my opinion :(

OK sounds good, but FYI, I used a elite 130 and there is DEFINITELY not enough clearence for that.

Edit: I'm convinced. NO HPs AS A PRIMARY PC ON THIS FORUM. PERIOD. Quality HPs cost 2 grand, and the rest of them are shit.

I keep telling my Mum to use the Documents Folder and Pictures Folder.  SHE NEVER F***ING DOES!!!

That is seriously, surprising.  How can someone do that?  It clearly says thats an 1150 motherboard and the processor is 1155.  But RAM? How?  How the hell can you mess that up!?! 

Also, once I was walking around in Noel Leeming helping friends pick a new computer.  And I'm on CONSTANT DEFENSE!  You cannot walk into that store as a tech person and not get into a mild argument with staff defending that an i7 isn't double the i5. 

So, this guy comes and offers us help, and he starts going on about how HP makes the best computers because they are super solid and use high quality parts.  So then before my friend buys this, I go and say "Well, I'll build you a computer instead?"  And before my friend can even say anything this employee starts ranting about how building a computer is so dangerous. So then this conversation started:

Guy: Whats RAM Then!?!!

Me: Random Access Memory.

Guy: Wrong!  Its Ready Appliance Memory!

Me: Actually, it connects to RAM slots and connects via a frontside bus to the CPU so the computer can store temporary, always accessed data in RAM temporarily for fast access speeds because DDR3 memory runs at, at least 1333mhz.

Guy: That was just a test.  What does HP stand for?!??

Me: Horrible Products

Then he walked away in anger after the manager came and apologized to us for his loud yelling and we went off. 

The front-side bus actually connects the CPU to the northbridge in older motherboards. Newer ones don't have it anymore.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Edit: I'm convinced. NO HPs AS A PRIMARY PC ON THIS FORUM. PERIOD. Quality HPs cost 2 grand, and the rest of them are shit.

Standby to be proved wrong(ish) then.  I myself use a custom built job but this unit (in the living room)  -  I was in college (adult returner - HND Computer networking) at the time  it was bought  I bought it  because it was capable of running and ran Win7 and it was (relatively) cheap, and the college was using Win7 so to learn/practise  what to do, I needed a Win7 machine - is a basic HP and is 4 years old (mind you I have replaced the power supply turned a fan around added cards tidied up the internals a bit but it is still basically an HP)  .  It is used by nearly everyone (despite them having laptops of their own) I suspect mainly because it has a larger monitor [27"] than their laptops.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I actually have an HP laptop. Its CPU idles at 95C but the GPU and the motherboard are cool and the fan is pretty quiet most of the time.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

OK sounds good, but FYI, I used a elite 130 and there is DEFINITELY not enough clearence for that.

Oh, well.  Still, 35c is a good temp to idle at.   And there are actually people on this forum that use HP computers, and are fine.  These people are the lucky ones that God had mercy on, I once had an HP computer with a single core CPU back in the day and it lasted for 7 years until the motherboard just went and it cost me $300.  That was the most luckiest thing, I've never seen another HP computer last for more than 2 years ever again, but maybe I will with my Stream. 

Standby to be proved wrong(ish) then.  I myself use a custom built job but this unit (in the living room)  -  I was in college (adult returner - HND Computer networking) at the time  it was bought  I bought it  because it was capable of running and ran Win7 and it was (relatively) cheap, and the college was using Win7 so to learn/practise  what to do, I needed a Win7 machine - is a basic HP and is 4 years old (mind you I have replaced the power supply turned a fan around added cards tidied up the internals a bit but it is still basically an HP)  .  It is used by nearly everyone (despite them having laptops of their own) I suspect mainly because it has a larger monitor [27"] than their laptops.

Thats good, you changed the power supply, the power supply is one of the worst things about HP computers.  But, HP has a bad rep now, and maybe you got a lucky one too. But, yeah.  HP has a bad rep and its sad because they are more than capable of being a fantastic computer manufacterer.  They just have to use higher quality parts and make sure their computers turn on and their sata cables are plugged in.  

I actually have an HP laptop. Its CPU idles at 95C but the GPU and the motherboard are cool and the fan is pretty quiet most of the time.

You say that like HP is pretty good.  I'm sorry, but your CPU running at 95c at idle is not something fine. Its something bad, your cpu is hanging by a thread bro.  Look at handing it in for Warranty.

IDLING at 95°C .  Would frighten me too, do you perhaps mean Farenheit? I hope to god you do, 95°C is untenable.

95°C is 203ºF

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

IDLING at 95°C .  Would frighten me too, do you perhaps mean Farenheit? I hope to god you do, 95°C is untenable.

95°C is 203ºF

Trust me, HP laptops have a problem with overheating, my old one did that.  Yes, idle at 95c. So, I beileve it.

Years ago, probably talking like 11-12 years ago now, I was in an IRC channel. I don't remember which channel off the top of my head, but it was tech help related. One day this kid comes into the channel freaking out, trying to find out a way to get burn in off a monitor. Everyone in the channel gave their input, but he was adamant that none of the suggestions were going to work as he needed it done in like a 2 hour period. After explaining how it all worked and that he might not ever be able to actually remove it fully he caved in and told us the true story behind the burn in and why he needed to get rid of it.

Apparently he had turned up the brightness of the monitor to get a good look at an image on the screen. After completing his viewing of said image he went into a different room and fell asleep forgetting that it was still up on the monitor. Needless to say, hours later he came back to see the image still on the screen. Freaking out he closed everything down and then saw the burn in. He had permanently burned in an image of a women, spread eagle and completely naked, onto his brand new family computer which sat in the main sitting room of their house. To top it all off,his mother was on her way home from work in very short amount of time.

Years ago, probably talking like 11-12 years ago now, I was in an IRC channel. I don't remember which channel off the top of my head, but it was tech help related. One day this kid comes into the channel freaking out, trying to find out a way to get burn in off a monitor. Everyone in the channel gave their input, but he was adamant that none of the suggestions were going to work as he needed it done in like a 2 hour period. After explaining how it all worked and that he might not ever be able to actually remove it fully he caved in and told us the true story behind the burn in and why he needed to get rid of it.

Apparently he had turned up the brightness of the monitor to get a good look at an image on the screen. After completing his viewing of said image he went into a different room and fell asleep forgetting that it was still up on the monitor. Needless to say, hours later he came back to see the image still on the screen. Freaking out he closed everything down and then saw the burn in. He had permanently burned in an image of a women, spread eagle and completely naked, onto his brand new family computer which sat in the main sitting room of their house. To top it all off,his mother was on her way home from work in very short amount of time.

I think I might have heard this one before, but it's still just as good  :D

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Oh, well.  Still, 35c is a good temp to idle at.   And there are actually people on this forum that use HP computers, and are fine.  These people are the lucky ones that God had mercy on, I once had an HP computer with a single core CPU back in the day and it lasted for 7 years until the motherboard just went and it cost me $300.  That was the most luckiest thing, I've never seen another HP computer last for more than 2 years ever again, but maybe I will with my Stream. 

Thats good, you changed the power supply, the power supply is one of the worst things about HP computers.  But, HP has a bad rep now, and maybe you got a lucky one too. But, yeah.  HP has a bad rep and its sad because they are more than capable of being a fantastic computer manufacterer.  They just have to use higher quality parts and make sure their computers turn on and their sata cables are plugged in.  

You say that like HP is pretty good.  I'm sorry, but your CPU running at 95c at idle is not something fine. Its something bad, your cpu is hanging by a thread bro.  Look at handing it in for Warranty.

The workstation ones are pretty good. My school uses them in the CAD rooms. Cases seem pretty solid and from what i could find the PSUs looked pretty good also.

I would also like to point out that they offer a water cooled workstation (both CPUs only). Look up the HP Z800 and find a picture with the plastic shroud removed.