Experiences with non-techies

Hahaha. What is even the point?

To save a small amount of money when first building the rig probably

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

there are some adverts that advertise a laptop with 12gb of memory,

Obviously I am missing the point, as I can see no problem with this.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but for non-techies, the wording is a bit confusing :/ The best way to have put it would have been something like "with 12GB of RAM" just so there's a very obvious difference between the storage and the memory

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

To save a small amount of money when first building the rig probably

Interesting. Windows keys don't depend on the architecture. The installation media is just different.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Interesting. Windows keys don't depend on the architecture. The installation media is just different.

Oh, sorry, I didn't really know about it, but when I was looking in magazines for our family PC, any PC with a 64bit OS was more expensive, so I just presumed it was the OS being more expensive (this was in 2009)

Oh, sorry, I didn't really know about it, but when I was looking in magazines for our family PC, any PC with a 64bit OS was more expensive, so I just presumed it was the OS being more expensive (this was in 2009)

Well, 64-bit wasn't really mature back then, so only the higher-end stuff got it, I assume.

God, this thread molested my notifications.

Yeah. This thread gave a surprisingly large number of notifications.

Still less than the Heaven Society thread gave daily back when it was a spamfest... 100 - 450 notifications per day on average... *Shrugs*

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

those who think that beeing a gamer is waste of time.... 

yes, the same ones that sit and watch TV for 4h at a time and play candy crush on hes phone, just *** die..

I have 11mb/s now, but obviously there are still people in the world using 3mb/s connections.

are you using dialup?

You make it sound like sub-10meg internet connections are 3rd-world failings. Also, I don't think I've heard of domestic dialup reaching speeds of 3meg. Heck I'm on broadband at a whopping 1meg (dialup was about 10k for me back in the day). But yeah, it's hella painful. It'd be about 90 hours for FC4. Sadly the laws of maths dictate that the smaller your numbers are, the bigger the percentage between them is.

Edit: However, on the bright side I'm actually patient for things to load. The amount of non-techies who don't have the patience to wait for something to load and think their computer's broken because their internet speed suddenly decreased a little. When a video hasn't loaded after a few seconds and the teacher decides "that video's broken" so goes back to the search results and chooses another one. Though in our school it could easily be some failing of the technicians and their shoddily set up network.

-nom-

It really depends in all honesty, some Toshiba's especially the low end will really suck but so will allot of other manufacteres.  I find that in the very low end notebooks Toshiba, Acer and HP will use the same laptops just rebranded.  And then in the slightly higher range they will start to split off.  

However, Toshiba is still the #1 Adware brand, that bundles garbage with their notebooks, and some of that garbage is hard to remove.  

-nom-

Oh, I agree with the low end and Adware. My current notebook is a Satellite E55, which is great for what I need it for. The adware on it was huge, ended up having to remove the Toshiba noticeboard, and it's crappy Toshiba update software. Not to mention that WildTangent games crap. But once you get past all the adware, they're pretty solid

I Was Making A new Build And He Saw The DDR3 For Ram He Said Doesnt Your Computer Have DDR5 I Stood Up Dropped The Ram And Slammed My Head Into The Wall

I once had to teach my (older) step brother how torrenting works...

This?

<snip>

(1USD = ~50PhP (overestimate))

Ah, the good ol' "Filipino" definition of a "gaming" PC...  :rolleyes:

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

This?

snip snip snippety snip snip

(1USD = ~50PhP (overestimate))

22,800 PHP = 509.72 USD Philippine Peso (PHP)   United States Dollar (USD) 1 PHP = 0.02 USD   1 USD = 44.73 PHP

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Ah, the good ol' "Filipino" definition of a "gaming" PC...  :rolleyes:

If it can run Warcraft 3 (even at the lowest settings) it's a 'gaming' PC...

Well sometimes people use memory to say long term memory, when us techies use it to say short term memory AKA RAM and say storage for long term memory.

Basically it's much simpler to say RAM and storage so they don't get confused, whereas we know often which one just purely based on price or practicality.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

So RAM (Random Access Memory) is the prefered term, instead of Memory?  So call it memory instead of memory, yeah I can see how that is much clearer < sarcasm

Opinion :-

'RAM or memory' and 'storage' would be the way I would go. (Your desk [the size of] and a filing cabinet if talking in analogies to a real non-techie)

Aside :-

ROM used as a term for hard drives and the like has always bugged me .  You can, write, delete etc to hard drives which are supposedly 'Read Only Memory' .

I can see CDs (not rewriteables though) being ROM but surely not hard drives.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

To be honest, I'm pretty glad I built my own machine instead of buying an OEM machine. HP's "gaming" desktops have 4960Xs paired with GTX 745s, I'm not kidding. But wait, there's more! Lenovo's marketing PCs with just Intel HD Graphics as "gaming PCs". I'd rather take an R7 240 over Intel HD Graphics for desktop gaming .-.

I've seen HSN sell a lenovo with a 4770 and a GT 640, no joke. The computer illiterate salesmen would fuck up trying to sell this on live TV.

http://www.hsn.com/products/hp-envy-phoenix-core-i7-16gb-1tb-hdd-gaming-desktop-pc/7553000

I went to Fry's a few days ago and found a ibuypower PC, with a 4300 and GT 610 for 600-700 bucks. Shoulda taken a pic of it.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Amen, brother.

I ran into a dude who tried to convince me that pre-builts were better than building your own. His explanation is that the people building them in factory are "experts" at what they do, and take it seriously. And that pre-builts have better warranties. He then proceeded to say whoever built a desktop was an amateur trying to be an egghead, and that it's impossible to put together a PC.

>Failed to acknowledge warranty voiding upon opening the side of the PC.

>Failed to acknowledge the 32GB of Bloatware Acer includes on their new PCs.

>Failed to acknowledge the use of 5400 RPM drives in desktops.

>Failed to acknowledge the security loopholes found in pre-installed OSes.

>Failed to acknowledge the lack of warranty per component, an advantage that custom PCs have.

>Failed to acknowledge shit these days just clicks into place.

If it's impossible to build a PC, then how do PC companies do it? Does that make them "an amateur trying to be an egghead"?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Pegatron are actually the manufacturers of MoBos. They own ASrock. And are a 'spin off' (the actual details allude me but one of the founders of Asus [Ted Hsu] left them and founded Pegatron whether that was part of the idea or he fellout with the others and decided "I'll show them" or .. I don't know) from Asus (pretty insular world, that of MoBos, eh? ).

They seem to have a thing for the 'Peg*** ' name PegASUS (though JJ pronounces it differently) and Pegatron.

Pegtron makes mobos for HP

Most HP boards are shit

Pegtron owns asrock

I bought an asrock board

FUCK ME!!!!

But I haven't run into any problems yet....

Trying to clean there computer and they have all the tool bars for days D:

Me and CS kid were playing CSGO and this little kid starting bragging about how good his Mac was because he was in mcdonalds. I laughed for at least a couple of minutes over the following conversation between the McDonald's kid and some 15 year old who "f*cked ur mom with my pc because it's so much better than a Mac". And people say the pc community isn't toxic and the people are more mature.

I'm am in the dilemma of which pick your path Ubisoft game I should get....do I get Assassin Creed 5, Far Cry 4, or The Crew....hmmm will any run well?

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

Me and CS kid were playing CSGO and this little kid starting bragging about how good his Mac was because he was in mcdonalds. I laughed for at least a couple of minutes over the following conversation between the McDonald's kid and some 15 year old who "f*cked ur mom with my pc because it's so much better than a Mac". And people say the pc community isn't toxic and the people are more mature.

I'm am in the dilemma of which pick your path Ubisoft game I should get....do I get Assassin Creed 5, Far Cry 4, or The Crew....hmmm will any run well?

Far Cry 4 is only good because it is the exact same game as Far Cry 3. Unity was piss poor and The Crew is full of product placements for stupid Comcast shit. So go for Far Cry 4. But ideally, you would trade the key for Far Cry 4 because it probably isn't a Steam key.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com