Experiences with non-techies

I think I might have heard this one before, but it's still just as good  :D

It was on bash.org at one point, but I was unable to find it when searching before posting it here. I wish I could have, the entire conversation was much more entertaining than my rendition.

Last night, someone on another forum I'm on told me to upgrade to an i7 because a few poorly-coded games are listing it as the recommended processor, therefore it's the future. He also called my i5 "outdated" because it lacks Hyperthreading and a few games are recommending the i7.

Same guy also kept telling me to get a "GTX 780 4GB", which doesn't exist except on laptops. He even continued doing so after I showed him a search for the GTX 780 to prove it doesn't have 4GB VRAM. Perhaps unsurprisingly, his primary PC gaming machine is a 27" iMac and he prefers consoles because of JRPGs.

>at local hobby/magic the gathering place

>they have respectable gaming PCs for people to game and shit
>one sitting in the corner nobody uses
>sits down at it 
>opens start>computer>properties
>8GB RAM,  AMD A8, 1TB HDD. Respectable.
>2.58GB Usable
>Win7 Home premium 32 BIT

>gets up and sits down in front of a PS2 and gets back to playing NFS Underground

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

>at local hobby/magic the gathering place

>they have respectable gaming PCs for people to game and shit

>one sitting in the corner nobody uses

>sits down at it 

>opens start>computer>properties

>8GB RAM,  AMD A8, 1TB HDD. Respectable.

>2.58GB Usable

>Win7 Home premium 32 BIT

>gets up and sits down in front of a PS2 and gets back to playing NFS Underground

Once, I had a simillar experience.   However, they put Windows Vista 32bit and they didn't install any drivers so I could see the resolution was so messed up. 

I wish I had said something.

Last night, someone on another forum I'm on told me to upgrade to an i7 because a few poorly-coded games are listing it as the recommended processor, therefore it's the future. He also called my i5 "outdated" because it lacks Hyperthreading and a few games are recommending the i7.

Same guy also kept telling me to get a "GTX 780 4GB", which doesn't exist except on laptops. He even continued doing so after I showed him a search for the GTX 780 to prove it doesn't have 4GB VRAM. Perhaps unsurprisingly, his primary PC gaming machine is a 27" iMac and he prefers consoles because of JRPGs.

Or they are trying to be smart.  When people try to be smart about something they are not, they turn dumb. 

I knew some idiot who kept telling me GTX 650s were the best and core i7s are the best for gaming.  Anyways,he proved to me he was a gamer by showing me this i5 imac with a ton of Razer crap all around it, i mean.  He had Razer headset, Razer keyboard, Razer mouse and even a razer sticker over the apple logo.  Not only that but his gaming PC isn't even a PC.  And he proved to me he actually was a gamer so he showed me some COD.

It was some old COD he bought in the app store.

Once, I had a simillar experience. However, they put Windows Vista 32bit and they didn't install any drivers so I could see the resolution was so messed up.

Or they are trying to be smart. When people try to be smart about something they are not, they turn dumb.

I knew some idiot who kept telling me GTX 650s were the best and core i7s are the best for gaming. Anyways,he proved to me he was a gamer by showing me this i5 imac with a ton of Razer crap all around it, i mean. He had Razer headset, Razer keyboard, Razer mouse and even a razer sticker over the apple logo. Not only that but his gaming PC isn't even a PC. And he proved to me he actually was a gamer so he showed me some COD.

650s. Best for gaming. HAS HE EVER HEARD OF THE 900 SERIES?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You guys probably remember the story of my dad buying the laptop, right? We are selling our PS3, and we are going to use the laptop as our HTPC. I woke up this morning to install the netflix app, only to see that my father literally deleted all administrative abilities and blocked all of the accounts on it, and changed the password on the account that manages it all. All that remains is a guest account under my sister's name, which is controlled by family monitoring for no reason considering my sister uses her own computer.

Now I'm not able to make this our htpc and install netflix, as he's a stubborn old dude who wants to have control over everything, even though he has no idea what it does. Anyone who's known my dad knows he is a power freak sometimes, especially when he feels sad about something. Anything. 

tl;dr he went full hitler.

I was the admin on the computer. Everything was run by me. All of the games my mom played were installed, and now they're gone. (She's gonna kill someone without her sims) I hardly ever used the computer, along with my sister. But he then made her use an account monitored by Family Monitoring. 

There's something most people in the IT department know of called the "Net User" hack, and it allows you to use net user without being logged in to delete or add passwords and administrative abilities in accounts. 

I used it on mine. 

Time to go fix my dad's mistakes.

Peace out ya bastards

EDIT: Apparently, he told me he had no idea how accounts worked in win8, and now he wants me to be the admin on it again for the media center account. And he thinks he did a backdoor. Lolol.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

The 900 series doesn't exist according to my brother.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The 900 series doesn't exist according to my brother.

*IMMEDIATELY KILLS YOUR BROTHER AND MYSELF*

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Their laptops are hot as fuck. I have a old one with a Pentium reject (Celeron) single core at a whopping 1.7GHz and it's at 100% load on Chrome... Also burns your thighs while booting.

My samsung laptop buns your thighs when you browse the internet on it... its doing it right now....

Some guy asked on a forum (I won't mention the name) what torrenting was, so this guy replied 

"Hello,

Not worth torrenting anything. The consequeces can be very bad depending on what you... By torrenting you're basically stealing, think about it that way. You might aswell just buy the item as the money would most likely go towards another edition of the software, movie or song ( or whatever you want to torrent )

~ ***Y"

I've edited the posters name by the way. Torrents don't always equal piracy. 

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday season/xmas or whatever you're into. 

Some guy asked on a forum (I won't mention the name) what torrenting was, so this guy replied 

"Hello,

Not worth torrenting anything. The consequeces can be very bad depending on what you... By torrenting you're basically stealing, think about it that way. You might aswell just buy the item as the money would most likely go towards another edition of the software, movie or song ( or whatever you want to torrent )

~ H**Y"

Well you sure are nice to hide the persons name, but I'm going to say it!

just kidding! I wouldn't do that.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

It's all meant in good fun, I just really don't see the point in this thread to be honest it belittles people who may not know everything about a subject and I'm sure we have people on the forum (myself included) which are guilty of that (of course if I don't know I usually refrain from posting or ask a question) if anything I view this thread as less about funny anecdotes and more about projecting insecurities "Girl called me ugly today, well she didn't know how to plug in a projector LOLZ" (of course that doesn't apply to every post a fair few are quite humorous and are  relatable to anyone in the tech support sector) 

EDIT: I might be getting too old

"Hello,

~ ***Y"

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday season/xmas or whatever you're into. 

Agggh my eyes...

Please change the font to automatic so night theme users can read it without having to highlight it.

It's all meant in good fun, I just really don't see the point in this thread to be honest it belittles people who may not know everything about a subject and I'm sure we have people on the forum (myself included) which are guilty of that (of course if I don't know I usually refrain from posting or ask a question) if anything I view this thread as less about funny anecdotes and more about projecting insecurities "Girl called me ugly today, well she didn't know how to plug in a projector LOLZ" (of course that doesn't apply to every post a fair few are quite humorous and are  relatable to anyone in the tech support sector) 

EDIT: I might be getting too old

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think it's okay to make fun of the people that act like they know everything, they kinda deserve it. But people who don't have a clue, or people who don't know but want to learn, then it's a different story.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Hehe. Know that double click thing pretty well. I remember back in after-school-club (Direct translation from danish (atleast what we called it)) when people played racing games on the playstation 1, and they sat and turned the controller. Motion controls, now with 100% less motion control.

My older brother STILL does that, but on the computer! It's so annoying and funny!

*Sees a guy looking at Razer audio equipment online*

-snip-

Once, I had a simillar experience.   However, they put Windows Vista 32bit and they didn't install any drivers so I could see the resolution was so messed up. 

Or they are trying to be smart.  When people try to be smart about something they are not, they turn dumb. 

I knew some idiot who kept telling me GTX 650s were the best and core i7s are the best for gaming.  Anyways,he proved to me he was a gamer by showing me this i5 imac with a ton of Razer crap all around it, i mean.  He had Razer headset, Razer keyboard, Razer mouse and even a razer sticker over the apple logo.  Not only that but his gaming PC isn't even a PC.  And he proved to me he actually was a gamer so he showed me some COD.

I have a friend who is a fucking Razer lover... He doesn't own a single Razer product and says Logitech has shitty build quality. He's also that guy who uses the cheapest Walmart office mice possible since gaming mice "look weird" and are "overpriced for a piece of shit." He even says a $10 Steelseries Qck is way too fucking much for a mouse pad. His direct response when I told him I bought it. "Are you fucking insane? Who in their mind would pay $10 fucking dollars for a mousepad? What the hell is your problem?" And yes @TheSLSAMG, I did tell him the condom thing since he mentioned it again, he shut up. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

When your friend doesn't know what a torrent is while he's using utorrent

GG, how is one this illiterate to something?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Had to explain to my cousin that internet speed does not affect your framerate.

I also love telling people why I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One.

The answer always is "Because I have a PC."

yay Lanoi is back!

Has he heard of the 660?

Has he heard of the 660?