Experiences with non-techies

Multiple people in my class can't figure out how to upload things to drop box even after being told multiple times how to do so.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

I found a gif that perfectly sums up my internal reaction when someone asks for help with something.

http://i.imgur.com/GUlWEnM.webm

That's gold right there that is!  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I found a gif that perfectly sums up my internal reaction when someone asks for help with something.

Same here!! I mean a lot of the time I end up having to google it myself anyway so why can't the person asking me for help do that themselves and stop wasting my time?

I Was Making A new Build And He Saw The DDR3 For Ram He Said Doesnt Your Computer Have DDR5 I Stood Up Dropped The Ram And Slammed My Head Into The Wall

Why The Capitals M8?  This Should Be On YGS...

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

That was way too long

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

This guy... :lol:

My mum legitimately knows more about monitors (probably computers) than that guy...

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Best not reply to anything posted over 2 weeks ago...

In this case... It's almost 2 years old...

Getting pissed

HAHA Embarrasing

There is a really good video on YouTube from a guy called Archie who is a systems admin. He basically is on point with everything regarding this job...

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

My little sister came asking how to download Twitch app from Google play store. I explained to her that my android tablet is too old, Twitch doesn't support that old Android versions anymore, she said that the app is stupid, and that I'm stupid for not being able to download a simple app... She became rather annoyed, like I was at the moment (my family seems to interrupt me every time I'm playing online games, and they explain their problems in such a slow way I have to leave the game every single time, only to find out the problem can be fixed with just a few clicks)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Getting pissed

HAHA Embarrasing

its fine.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

My boss had a problem with the dates on his computer during the summer, somehow it changed to the the year 2018.

I fixed it for him anyway but the 10 or so emails he sent while the year was 2018 were always showing on the top of his outbox in outlook. He phoned the site manager (I work on a construction site) to ask me to go down and fix this.

Went down to his computer had a look and the only solution I could see was too delete to his emails but I didn't want to this for ovbious reasons. I told I'm when he came in a few hours later to delete the email or move them to a folder to fix this.

Anyway the following week he gave out to me for not fixing it. I told him what to do again and asked him did he want me to do it now, haid no continue what I was doing. This was a few months back and I asked him the day when we finished for Christmas did he sort it and again he mentioned me not fixing it!

i had this one freind who though that memory had to do with the monitor, no clue how he got that 

After 650 pages, I wonder if anyone even reads this thread anymore... but here I post!

Awhile ago I was selling off my GTX 650 that I had used for about a year - I had upgraded so it was little use to me. 

A buyer knocked on my door - a fairly middle-aged chinese man, who's english wasn't all that great. I gave him the box, started explaining the condition and-

"But it says here on the box I need i7!? I can't run this, I don't have i7"

Taking a closer look on the box, this is what it actually says:

Minimum Power supply requirements: 400W

Power supply ratings based off of a system with an Intel Core i7 CPU.

After noticing this, I tried multiple times to explain that it didn't NEED an i7, it was only there to measure the power supply requirement, but he didn't seem to understand. He was pretty convinced just by seeing the letters "i7" He had to have one, or the card wouldn't work.

In the end, he didn't buy it after literally having the box in his hands. It's a shame how language barriers can sometimes cause this :/

I remember last year some ignorant person in my grade said a magnet could wipe a HDD. It's pathetic that people believe him just because he has perfect 100%s in every single class. So he brought a magnet to school... And tried it on one of the laptops... He didn't put it even remotely near the HDD. He also says Tor has "hacker" software and is meant for those who like doing illegal activities.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

You molest my notifications!

I'm just gunna open up that tray and just feel around..... Yeah....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My old computer teacher was teaching us how to properly conduct a google search in chrome. Her first step was telling us that the long white bar up top, the url bar, where your browser currently says somehing like http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/page-650 was NOT for searching.

So, she proceded to show us the "correct" way, which was to type google in, exactly like "google", and search from there

She searched for a search engine where your not supposed to search? She yelled at me every time i just searched in it too lol

lol my name is paul

Also, my parents complain about there 8 year old dell with one gig of ram running windows seven when it says on the pc built for windows xp compatible with vista and they go and run windows seven also, they complain how its slow and when i offer to put a stick of ram in it they are afraid i would break something while i were to upgrade it and i have opened it up multiple times when they werent around

Just friggin upgrade the thing

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Just friggin upgrade the thing

Please don't quote anything over 2 weeks old.

My old computer teacher was teaching us how to properly conduct a google search in chrome. Her first step was telling us that the long white bar up top, the url bar, where your browser currently says somehing like http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/page-650 was NOT for searching.

So, she proceded to show us the "correct" way, which was to type google in, exactly like "google", and search from there

She searched for a search engine where your not supposed to search? She yelled at me every time i just searched in it too lol

I remember once when we were being taught how to use google in school, and the teacher was damn strict, and she made us use quotes (for searching for an exact phrase) and the - sign to "narrow down the search" (Yes I know they work, and that's what they're for, but it usually doesn't make a difference for me.) So of course I just do the search without the extra jazz, and get the answer to the example question first try, and she gets so mad :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*