Experiences with non-techies

Agreed. Apart from my GPU and my CPU fan issue, my machine has been rock solid stable and reliable. Hell, it's never even crashed. Not that it's related to hardware, but still. 

Also, my board has all solid caps. Entirely solid, all throughout. It'll last me 4 more years or more if I give the CPU 100% use daily if the VRMs can handle the abuse.

THAT is quality only I can accept. Seriously, I'm not buying a pre-built again either. I can build a system for cheaper than a pre-built with better performance and a software package that costs entirely nothing and increases workflow 100%.

63253042.jpg

That motherboard pic I posted earlier is my own motherboard. Chose a Sabertooth because they're supposed to be solid boards. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

So far, it is.

That motherboard pic I posted earlier is my own motherboard. Chose a Sabertooth because they're supposed to be solid boards. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

So far, it is.

Amen, brother. 

I ran into a dude who tried to convince me that pre-builts were better than building your own. His explanation is that the people building them in factory are "experts" at what they do, and take it seriously. And that pre-builts have better warranties. He then proceeded to say whoever built a desktop was an amateur trying to be an egghead, and that it's impossible to put together a PC.

>Failed to acknowledge warranty voiding upon opening the side of the PC.

>Failed to acknowledge the 32GB of Bloatware Acer includes on their new PCs.

>Failed to acknowledge the use of 5400 RPM drives in desktops.

>Failed to acknowledge the security loopholes found in pre-installed OSes.

>Failed to acknowledge the lack of warranty per component, an advantage that custom PCs have.

>Failed to acknowledge shit these days just clicks into place.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Amen, brother. 

I ran into a dude who tried to convince me that pre-builts were better than building your own. His explanation is that the people building them in factory are "experts" at what they do, and take it seriously. And that pre-builts have better warranties. He then proceeded to say whoever built a desktop was an amateur trying to be an egghead, and that it's impossible to put together a PC.

>Failed to acknowledge warranty voiding upon opening the side of the PC.

>Failed to acknowledge the 32GB of Bloatware Acer includes on their new PCs.

>Failed to acknowledge the use of 5400 RPM drives in desktops.

>Failed to acknowledge the security loopholes found in pre-installed OSes.

>Failed to acknowledge the lack of warranty per component, an advantage that custom PCs have.

>Failed to acknowledge shit these days just clicks into place.

That's nothing compared to what I've seen earlier in this thread... .-.

That's nothing compared to what I've seen earlier in this thread... .-.

Agreed. I've seen some shit that has made me both laugh and cringe at the same time. I love this thread.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Agreed. I've seen some shit that has made me both laugh and cringe at the same time. I love this thread.

Me too. It's both the best and worst thread on this site at the worst time, I love it.

Me too. It's both the best and worst thread on this site at the worst time, I love it.

Tell me a story of a non-techie being stupid. I gotta hear your worst.

Oh yeah, I once heard someone i know (owns a PS4 and Xbone) say that 4K is impossible and doesn't exist.

Tell me a story of a non-techie being stupid. I gotta hear your worst.

Let me think.... hmmmm...

Okay, so I go to a technical school, New England Institute of Technology. You'd think that all the faculty there would know how to computer, right? Well... yes and no. While the professors that teach you the technical skills sure do know how to computer, liberal arts teachers... not so much. One of my teachers in the last quarter kept saving multiple copies of the same Powerpoint presentation and opening just one of them, and kept clicking things to attempt to make it go faster (well, to be fair, it was a Windows XP-era dinosaur with a P4 running Windows 7, so it was pretty slow), and didn't seem to know even basic Microsoft Office shortcuts. I mean, come on, I'd expect better out of a teacher at a college with "Institute of Technology" in its name, even if they aren't a tech teacher.

Let me think.... hmmmm...

Okay, so I go to a technical school, New England Institute of Technology. You'd think that all the faculty there would know how to computer, right? Well... yes and no. While the professors that teach you the technical skills sure do know how to computer, liberal arts teachers... not so much. One of my teachers in the last quarter kept saving multiple copies of the same Powerpoint presentation and opening just one of them, and kept clicking things to attempt to make it go faster (well, to be fair, it was a Windows XP-era dinosaur with a P4 running Windows 7, so it was pretty slow), and didn't seem to know even basic Microsoft Office shortcuts. I mean, come on, I'd expect better out of a teacher at a college with "Institute of Technology" in its name, even if they aren't a tech teacher.

Better than at my technical school (which I go to alongside my senior highschool) where someone stole a 770 Lightning Edition from one of the project PCs.

Better than at my technical school (which I go to alongside my senior highschool) where someone stole a 770 Lightning Edition from one of the project PCs.

Project PCs we had in one of my classes were old Pentium 4 Gateways from 2003. Had IDE and everything. Maybe it's high time they replaced them with newer machines, as I'm pretty sure IDE isn't a thing anymore...

Most classes use virtual machines though. On HP machines. During my Cisco classes, they kept crashing. It got especially annoying in Capstone, as we only had so many hours to build a functional network and the host machines crashed almost every time we tried getting the routers and switches to respond again.

Did I mention that even though my school is rich enough to buy iPads for all the students and teachers, the desktops are Early 2008 iMacs with Core 2 Duos? Until this year, they had only 2GB RAM but it looks like they're all 4GB now. And they're always one year behind on OS versions. They seem to update them in summer and have the latest version for a month, then the next version of OSX comes out and they won't update until the next summer.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Project PCs we had in one of my classes were old Pentium 4 Gateways from 2003. Had IDE and everything. Maybe it's high time they replaced them with newer machines, as I'm pretty sure IDE isn't a thing anymore...

Most classes use virtual machines though. On HP machines. During my Cisco classes, they kept crashing. It got especially annoying in Capstone, as we only had so many hours to build a functional network and the host machines crashed almost every time we tried getting the routers and switches to respond again.

My class hasn't even effed with virtual machines. My friend made a virtual machine rig for people to practice on.

Someone apparently decided it was a great idea to rip apart the computer (quite seriously) and break the SSD, and steal another GPU. 

My class hasn't even effed with virtual machines. My friend made a virtual machine rig for people to practice on.

Someone apparently decided it was a great idea to rip apart the computer (quite seriously) and break the SSD, and steal another GPU. 

Holy shit, why.

Holy shit, why.

There are 3 class peroids at this technical school. Apparently period one got pissed because my friend super-hitler-admin locked everything on it, and their only response was to break it.

There are 3 class peroids at this technical school. Apparently period one got pissed because my friend super-hitler-admin locked everything on it, and their only response was to break it.

I just...

I just can't right now.

I just...

I just can't right now.

Yeah. I've seen some idiots.

Posted a while ago but have another good one. This is not one person, its all non-techies. People that think that Blue Screens Of Death kill and are damaging there computer and that when it happens that they should start looking for a new computer because it will die shortly. Its only the Name "Blue screen of DEATH" that makes them fear it, in reality, its just the computer protecting it self when it thinks or notices that something is wrong or could go wrong.

Story that really made me think about how often this happens:

I work computer repair out of my house and a client called me saying that her computer died, she proceeded to bring it over and when I opened it and turned it on that it was fine. she was dumbfounded and Proceeded to tell me that it BSOD and died right there. I back traced the CCode and found out that one of her memory error and that one of the modulus was not seated correctly, it was a laptop and see probably dropped it and dislodge it self and when she used it again it finally fell out. Even after that she thought that because of the BSOD that it was fried and wanted me to find her a new computer, I refused because the laptop was only a few months old and had to sit her down and explain what BSOD was and how it does not mean "Death". Even after that she was hesitant about the damn thing...

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Posted a while ago but have another good one. This is not one person, its all non-techies. People that think that Blue Screens Of Death kill and are damaging there computer and that when it happens that they should start looking for a new computer because it will die shortly. Its only the Name "Blue screen of DEATH" that makes them fear it, in reality, its just the computer protecting it self when it thinks or notices that something is wrong or could go wrong.

Story that really made me think about how often this happens:

I work computer repair out of my house and a client called me saying that her computer died, she proceeded to bring it over and when I opened it and turned it on that it was fine. she was dumbfounded and Proceeded to tell me that it BSOD and died right there. I back traced the CCode and found out that one of her memory error and that one of the modulus was not seated correctly, it was a laptop and see probably dropped it and dislodge it self and when she used it again it finally fell out. Even after that she thought that because of the BSOD that it was fried and wanted me to find her a new computer, I refused because the laptop was only a few months old and had to sit her down and explain what BSOD was and how it does not mean "Death". Even after that she was hesitant about the damn thing...

I've done that before. It's sometimes the funniest thing in the world. xD

I was talking to one of my friends the other day and he was saying about how great the PS4 and XBone that he was getting for Christmas were going to be. Right after that, I built my new PC. I'm delighted that Lizard Squad took PSN and Xbox Live down for Christmas.

I talked to him again more recently and he said that he was getting a super awesome computer. "It has 8GB RAM!" When he texted me, I had just finished upgrading from 16GB to 24GB because I had the DIMMs lying around. He was saying "yeah but it's really good!". It has serial ports on it and doesn't even look like it has any digital inputs/outputs.

Sig under construction.

Apparently the new vendor for HP boards is "Pegatron". That sounds like the shittiest name ever. And that's coming from a brony.

Pegatron are actually the manufacturers of MoBos.  They own ASrock. And are a 'spin off' (the actual details allude me but one of the founders of Asus [Ted Hsu] left them and founded Pegatron whether that was part of the idea or he fellout with the others and decided "I'll show them" or ..  I don't know) from Asus (pretty insular world, that of MoBos, eh? ).

They seem to have a thing for the 'Peg*** ' name PegASUS (though JJ pronounces it differently) and Pegatron.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

People think ram is a storage devive and the harddrive/ssd being the ram...

Person: My computer has a 1TB HDD.

Ignorant Person: My computer has 5TB of RAM.

Me: *facepalm*

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Sometimes I don't blame the people for doing this, at least here there are some adverts that advertise a laptop with 12gb of memory,  so I can see why people could get confused

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

People that buy 8GB of RAM for a 32 bit system.

Or people that STILL use 32 bit systems.

Hahaha. What is even the point?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Sometimes I don't blame the people for doing this, at least here there are some adverts that advertise a laptop with 12gb of memory,  so I can see why people could get confused

I have seen "1tb of memory" before  :wacko:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.