Experiences with non-techies

Today, my computer teacher bought 2 pentium cpus and full size ATX motherboards for 2 older computers. What he didn't realize is all the cases we have are microatx, so obviously its not gonna work out like he intends. 

Modding FTW!!!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Images if you really are determined like me. :P

tZep9ZY.jpgmGo5iBS.jpg

I remember something about a guy who actually installed ram in the wrong direction. I AM DEAD FUCKING SERIOUS. I don't know what was greater, his ignorance to realize that the stick was the wrong direction, or his ability to insert ram the wrong way...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Sounds like navigating my mom's computer.... It's hell.

I keep telling my Mum to use the Documents Folder and Pictures Folder.  SHE NEVER F***ING DOES!!!

Images if you really are determined like me. :P

tZep9ZY.jpgmGo5iBS.jpg

That is seriously, surprising.  How can someone do that?  It clearly says thats an 1150 motherboard and the processor is 1155.  But RAM? How?  How the hell can you mess that up!?! 

Also, once I was walking around in Noel Leeming helping friends pick a new computer.  And I'm on CONSTANT DEFENSE!  You cannot walk into that store as a tech person and not get into a mild argument with staff defending that an i7 isn't double the i5. 

So, this guy comes and offers us help, and he starts going on about how HP makes the best computers because they are super solid and use high quality parts.  So then before my friend buys this, I go and say "Well, I'll build you a computer instead?"  And before my friend can even say anything this employee starts ranting about how building a computer is so dangerous. So then this conversation started:

Guy: Whats RAM Then!?!!

Me: Random Access Memory.

Guy: Wrong!  Its Ready Appliance Memory!

Me: Actually, it connects to RAM slots and connects via a frontside bus to the CPU so the computer can store temporary, always accessed data in RAM temporarily for fast access speeds because DDR3 memory runs at, at least 1333mhz.

Guy: That was just a test.  What does HP stand for?!??

Me: Horrible Products

Then he walked away in anger after the manager came and apologized to us for his loud yelling and we went off. 

Guy: That was just a test. What does HP stand for?!??

Has HP made ANYTHING good?! Even a thumb drive?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Has HP made ANYTHING good?! Even a thumb drive?

Yeah, just I wouldn't call them good anymore.   I have an HP computer but its pretty cheap, I'm never buying an HP primary computer. 

Yeah, just I wouldn't call them good anymore. I have an HP computer but its pretty cheap, I'm never buying an HP primary computer.

I guess HP makes crappy consumer grade desktops, (dunno about laptops), and believe me when I say: NO ONE. AND I REPEAT: NO ONE. ON THIS FORUM WILL EVER BUY AN HP FOR A PRIMARY COMPUTER

I guess HP makes crappy consumer grade desktops, (dunno about laptops), and believe me when I say: NO ONE. AND I REPEAT: NO ONE. ON THIS FORUM WILL EVER BUY AN HP FOR A PRIMARY COMPUTER

Someone needs to add that to the LinusTechTips rulebook. 

Thou Shall NOT Use HP as Primary Computer!

Someone needs to add that to the LinusTechTips rulebook.

Thou Shall NOT Use HP as Primary Computer!

@Slick @LinusTech DO THIS. DO IT NOW. What about Dell or another brand? (Not alienware or I would seriously look like a hypocrite....)

Edit: I think the laptops are fine though, it just shouldn't be the desktops that are not allowed to be used

Not bad. Mobo is good. Can't speak for the Pentium though

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

@Slick @LinusTech DO THIS. DO IT NOW. What about Dell or another brand? (Not alienware or I would seriously look like a hypocrite....)

Edit: I think the laptops are fine though, it just shouldn't be the desktops that are not allowed to be used

Dell, Acer, Toshiba and stuff can make bad computers occasionally but HP makes bad computers ALL THE TIME!

That is seriously, surprising.  How can someone do that?  It clearly says thats an 1150 motherboard and the processor is 1155.  But RAM? How?  How the hell can you mess that up!?!

I guess that's because "1150 is not that much less than 1155, so it will work." :ph34r: Also, DIMM-witted people... ;)

Guy: That was just a test.  What does HP stand for?!??

I always thought that Harry Potter made computers when I was younger... :ph34r:  :P

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

I guess that's because "1150 is not that much less than 1155, so it will work." :ph34r: Also, DIMM-witted people... ;)

I always thought that Harry Potter made computers when I was younger... :ph34r:  :P

lol...

"1150 is not that much less than 1155, so it will work" - non-techie logic. 

Dell, Acer, Toshiba and stuff can make bad computers occasionally but HP makes bad computers ALL THE TIME!

Actually how does HP always make bad computers all the time?

Also, DIMM-witted people... ;)

I see what you did there....

I used my brother's HP laptop. After all the bloatware was removed it performed decently well. Nothing ground breaking but it got the job done and that was about it

Actually how does HP always make bad computers all the time?

I assume thier CEO is ignoring everyone. Do you remember that Carey Holzman Video where he bought an HP desktop and the sata cable wasn't plugged in. 

Or HP doesn't hire experienced people, they just hire people and expect them to read a page of badly written instructions and do it right. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVnl4HIHPY

I used my brother's HP laptop. After all the bloatware was removed it performed decently well. Nothing ground breaking but it got the job done and that was about it

Your brother is lucky, sometimes you come across golden HP computers which are the rare ones that don't die after 6 months.  Or, you'd be surprised how much my local computer store (I know several people who work there) how much HP computers come in like 1 day after the warranty has ended.

Also, all HP pavilions running AMD have this issue, never been fixed.  The issue is where the CPU runs almost 100c at idle.  Hot Hot Hot!

I assume thier CEO is ignoring everyone. Do you remember that Carey Holzman Video where he bought an HP desktop and the sata cable wasn't plugged in.

Or HP doesn't hire experienced people, they just hire people and expect them to read a page of badly written instructions and do it right.

Wait was the only hard drive not plugged into the mobo?! IMAGINE A NON-TECHIE JUST GETTING THAT HOME AND NOT KNOWING WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO IT AND WHY IT WON'T WORK.

Wait was the only hard drive not plugged into the mobo?! IMAGINE A NON-TECHIE JUST GETTING THAT HOME AND NOT KNOWING WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO IT AND WHY IT WON'T WORK.

YES!  I KNOW!  It wasn't shipping, it has a freaking clip.  

Someone at HP was being such as lazy ahole they didn't plug it in!  Also, I bet using a power supply not even 80+ is better than the ones HP use.  HP and their generic brands, they don't even say the wattage some of them. 

Your brother is lucky, sometimes you come across golden HP computers which are the rare ones that don't die after 6 months.  Or, you'd be surprised how much my local computer store (I know several people who work there) how much HP computers come in like 1 day after the warranty has ended.

Also, all HP pavilions running AMD have this issue, never been fixed.  The issue is where the CPU runs almost 100c at idle.  Hot Hot Hot!

With all due respect to my brother. That thing would be long gone if it wasn't under my care. He's off to colledge now so I barely see him. I got to use that thing again after about 2 months and it was SOOOO SLOW! I was like what did you do?!?!? and then he showed me some "help programs" he wanted me to get rid of. After a quick MBAM scan it was a big difference in speed.

Their laptops are hot as fuck. I have a old one with a Pentium reject (Celeron) single core at a whopping 1.7GHz and it's at 100% load on Chrome... Also burns your thighs while booting.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Their laptops are hot as fuck. I have a old one with a Pentium reject (Celeron) single core at a whopping 1.7GHz and it's at 100% load on Chrome... Also burns your thighs while booting.

This just makes it more obvious we need to add that rule to the LTT rulebook. 

With all due respect to my brother. That thing would be long gone if it wasn't under my care. He's off to colledge now so I barely see him. I got to use that thing again after about 2 months and it was SOOOO SLOW! I was like what did you do?!?!? and then he showed me some "help programs" he wanted me to get rid of. After a quick MBAM scan it was a big difference in speed.

Yeah, my friends netbook was so slow from registry cleaners i had to boot int safe mode to even run MBAM!

God that sounds like these damn samsung chromebooks. SUPER hot after a few days of running. Even if they are only open a few hours a day.

I believe that laptop was of the Pavilion lineup