Experiences with non-techies

I remember once when we were being taught how to use google in school, and the teacher was damn strict, and she made us use quotes (for searching for an exact phrase) and the - sign to "narrow down the search" (Yes I know they work, and that's what they're for, but it usually doesn't make a difference for me.) So of course I just do the search without the extra jazz, and get the answer to the example question first try, and she gets so mad :/

How is teaching people how to use google even a viable lesson idea? I mean I could teach people how to use google in just one sentence: be as specific as possible without using more than about 10 words.

How is teaching people how to use google even a viable lesson idea? I mean I could teach people how to use google in just one sentence: be as specific as possible without using more than about 10 words.

It's a viable lesson in my course (Library and Information Sciences)... Search optimization and how to extract search terms from a client (as part of Reference Services)...

We usually deal with multiple search engines depending on the needed information... and each search engine has different ways of finding things... so we need to learn how to get to the information as fast as possible on a search engine that performs poorly...

Someone older than me doesn't know how to look through the viewfinder of a camera to take a picture... 

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Someone older than me doesn't know how to look through the viewfinder of a camera to take a picture... 

If it's their camera and they use it, just put tape next to it and sharpie on a "look through -->"

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Someone got Razer Electras for Christmas. They think the headphones are "very high quality and top of the line" when in reality they're just mono and stuffed with cheap drivers. I had a pair... Ew.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Someone got Razer Electras for Christmas. They think the headphones are "very high quality and top of the line" when in reality they're just mono and stuffed with cheap drivers. I had a pair... Ew.

Mono?!? What? :o

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Mono?!? What? :o

Yeah.. The headband is basically just plastic, and the pads are like rocks for your ears. I remember bending the shit out of mine after they died and listening to all of the cracking and breaking the plastic frame doing that.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Yeah.. The headband is basically just plastic, and the pads are like rocks for your ears. I remember bending the shit out of mine after they died and listening to all of the cracking and breaking the plastic frame doing that.

Was just about to post this as a reply to your initial post, but it works even better with this one... as Razer describes them:

"Music to gamer's ears"

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Was just about to post this as a reply to your initial post, but it works even better with this one... as Razer describes them:

"Music to gamer's ears"

"Death to gamer's ears"

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sad that every "gamer" indaPilipins wants all Razer peripherals in their gaming gear. They make fine products (I like their DeathAdder 2013), but there are obviously better choices than their mostly plastic-y build quality at a pretty hefty price premium.

"Death to gamer's ears"

*(Non-Dollar Shave Club) Razers to gamer's ears* :P

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

My mom had me tape a piece of dark paper to my webcam because she thought that hackers could watch me, and she thinks that "hackers" can hack it so that the LED won't turn on if it's recording. wat

My mom had me tape a piece of dark paper to my webcam because she thought that hackers could watch me, and she thinks that "hackers" can hack it so that the LED won't turn on if it's recording. wat

Wat...

Well... he's not wrong, but maybe overthinking a little. Because let's be honest: would a hacker put that much effort just to see your face, even though you've already shown it online? If yes, he/she must be very curious about you, is researching things, or works for NSA / other equivalent for NSA...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Yeah I heard that like 5 years ago.

Visited a local PC shop and a customer was doing a build for office use. Sales selected a Intel dual core processor and when it came to ram, they suggested Kingston HyperX Fury at 1866MHz! Seriously HyperX Fury on a office use build? The damn CPU don't even pass 1333MHz  and they want to use 1866MHz ram. Talk about overkill and the use of unbalanced components, where the HyperX Fury ram are sadly wasted by someone who isn't even going to use the full potential of it. -_-:( :angry: They might as well just go with Kingston Hyper X Beast while they're at it. <_< :rolleyes:

When doing a build, use the correct parts so it looks nice and balanced, not just stick something in for the heck of it.

When to use high-end ram?

Core i5K/Core i7K/Pentium G3258 with Kingston HyperX Fury as well as gaming using non K CPUs, and those that does professional work or content creation

Celeron, Pentium Dual Core, for web browsing, office documents, looking at photos or watching movies, use KIngston Value Ram.

If you're the buyer and want to get them HyperX Fury for your office build, while I see that ram being wasted, by all means go for it, it's your money and your choice, don't have any problems with that. But if you're the builder and suggest high-end ram like the Kingston HyperX Fury on a office build, please step aside and let a person who knows what they're doing, to do the job. Cause who knows what else they might do, say a Dad comes and wants to build a gaming system for their 8 year old kid to play learning games like Leap Frog. 8 Core Extreme Edition, 32GB DDR4, and 3x GTX 980 in SLI with Asus ROG Swift? Bawahahahahah! :lol: :(

/rant

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

-snip-

When to use high-end ram?

Core i5K/Core i7K/Pentium G3258 with Kingston HyperX Fury as well as gaming using non K CPUs, and those that does professional work or content creation

Celeron, Pentium Dual Core, for web browsing, office documents, looking at photos or watching movies, use KIngston Value Ram.

Tell me about it...(look in sig)

Yes I used ValueRAM even before I got my 260X... Got pretty smooth gameplay out of it too....

still it's such a waste to see such good ram not to be used to its full potential...

8 Core Extreme Edition, 32GB DDR4, and 3x GTX 980 in SLI with Asus ROG Swift? Bawahahahahah! :lol: :(

Those 20000fps doe!

Leap Frog at 3x4K

Well... he's not wrong, but maybe overthinking a little. Because let's be honest: would a hacker put that much effort just to see your face, even though you've already shown it online? If yes, he/she must be very curious about you, is researching things, or works for NSA / other equivalent for NSA...

His parents have absolutely no idea that he goes on any forums and that he goes on LTT. :/ They also don't know that he has pictures on le interwebz.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just had this happen at my job:

A user needed some software installed for a heartbeat monitor. And they had some CD stored in a box along with all the other accessories for the device.

But in that box they had also stored a VGA cable along with the CD's containing the driver and manual for a monitor.

So when I told her that the only software in that box, was for a monitor. She replied with "But the program needs to be installed on the monitor???"

I cried! Eventually she gave up, and I then had to explain it again to the head nurse.. <_<

I think I have the best story of the year.

I was at work and my co-workers know that I'm a pc gamer. I built and sold a pc to one of my co-workers as well. One of my co-workers, about 28 years old, usually listens to me talk tech as he's pretty intriged by it all. Keep in mind he's a console gamer. Yesterday, he came in and began to excitedly boast about a "new console" that plays both Xbox 360 and Xbox one games. Since I don't keep up with the consoles that much, I thought maybe microsoft released a revision of the bone or something.

So there I am listening to him about this "console" until he mentions "Alienware". It dawned on me, he was talking about the alienware alpha. (He didn't even know the name of it).

I began to explain to him that even though it's advertised as a console, it was really a small form factor pc with windows 8.1 and that it would be impossible for it to run Xbox games. He began to argue that it advertises it can play Xbox games. I assumed he got confused by a PC port and an actual Xbox game. So I explained to him what a port is and that a majority of games are made on both pc and console.

Here's the best part: HE. STILL. DOESNT. BELIEVE. ME. He is convinced it can play his xbox 360 disks and is going to spend $500 on it. I even disproved him by providing evidence from the Alienware website describing that it no where says it can play Xbox games.

TL;DR: 28 year old co-worker is buying an Alienware alpha for the sole reason of playing his old Xbox games because he is convinced it is some sort of next-next gen Xbox.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

TL;DR: 28 year old co-worker is buying an Alienware alpha for the sole reason of playing his old Xbox games because he is convinced it is some sort of next-next gen Xbox.

I can see where this is going. Some games are released on both consoles and PCs, so if your co workers happens to find his old games on Steam, then he will boast it even more by saying, all the games he wants is already online and he doesn't have to pop in his game disc. :lol:

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I can see where this is going. Some games are released on both consoles and PCs, so if your co workers happens to find his old games on Steam, then he will boast it even more by saying, all the games he wants is already online and he doesn't have to pop in his game disc. :lol:

He knows that. I explained it to him. The only reason he wants it is so he can play his games that HE ALREADY OWNS on disk. He literally thinks it's an Xbox.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

My computer kept blue screening (fuck laptops I made this profile a while ago) and since I didn't have much experience I wanted to bring it to a local business my friends said was nice. But my mom decided that she can fix by screwing with the goddamn settings on my computer, it took me two days for me to finally convince her that it wasn't going to fix anything and we should bring to someone who has some experience.

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

Sorry, bit of a short one here but someone just complained to me how Dell sucks.  Now, I can see if he meant their desktops, but their xps 12-13s look balls-to-the-wall glorious, so I asked why he thought that they suck.  He said they don't offer os x computers.