Experiences with non-techies

10 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

That was a thing... but wow that just made me laugh so hard

Damn if I didn't have a 280 rad in the front of my case, I would have this😄

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

A few years ago, my grandad (who is breaking computers in the sky now) was going on a cruise to Japan. He didn't own a computer, but the company he'd charted the cruise with told him that he could track the ship's progress on the Internet as it travelled back to the UK, so he could see what it was up to before he went. 

So we took him my old Windows 98 PC (it was still supported at the time), set it up for him, and started teaching him how to get on the Internet.

We booted it up, and told him to use the mouse to click on the browser icon.

He lifted the mouse up, placed it on the monitor against the browser icon, and clicked...

9 minutes ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

A few years ago, my grandad (who is breaking computers in the sky now) was going on a cruise to Japan. He didn't own a computer, but the company he'd charted the cruise with told him that he could track the ship's progress on the Internet as it travelled back to the UK, so he could see what it was up to before he went. 

So we took him my old Windows 98 PC (it was still supported at the time), set it up for him, and started teaching him how to get on the Internet.

He lifted the mouse up, placed it on the monitor against the browser icon, and clicked...

Actually makes some sense, if the guy never used a pc before. Is it worse than the young people thinking everything has touchscreen?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Actually makes some sense, if the guy never used a pc before. Is it worse than the young people thinking everything has touchscreen?

I suppose it does make sense, but it earnt him a synchronised face-palming from my dad (who was a partner in a computer business at the time) and myself (who built the thing he was... erm... mousing) regardless!

Thankfully all the young people I know aren't so bad (it remains to be seen whether my one-year-old niece will make the transition well or not). Though that does remind me of my nephew once believing that the PC monitor is the PC. It took ages to get him to realise that the actual computer was in a separate box.

6 minutes ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

Thankfully all the young people I know aren't so bad (it remains to be seen whether my one-year-old niece will make the transition well or not). Though that does remind me of my nephew once believing that the PC monitor is the PC. It took ages to get him to realise that the actual computer was in a separate box.

This is mostly a symptom of people being raised to believe that things happen in a black box. If you're raised primarily using smartphones/tablets (or even an iMac or laptops - hell, any all-in-one device) it's easy to assume that everything that powers the display comes from the display itself.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 minute ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

I suppose it does make sense, but it earnt him a synchronised face-palming from my dad (who was a partner in a computer business at the time) and myself (who built the thing he was... erm... mousing) regardless!

Haha 😄

Yes I keep getting surprised. I see people +20 yo hitting a monitor screen repeatedly. Haha yea I actually helped a lady today on the phone, that thoght her monitor was the tower and couldn't understand why her webcam didn't work, beacuse "it was connected". I had a hard time explaining it to her and ended up getting her to count the wires going from the monitor -_-

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Haha 😄

Yes I keep getting surprised. I see people +20 yo hitting a monitor screen repeatedly. Haha yea I actually helped a lady today on the phone, that thoght her monitor was the tower and couldn't understand why her webcam didn't work, beacuse "it was connected". I had a hard time explaining it to her and ended up getting her to count the wires going from the monitor -_-

Did you explain the advantages of NOT using a AIO Computer? AFAIK they don't make AIO's with higher resolutions then 1080p nor larger sizes then ~21".

ex generic doctor asking me for her password on whatever patients registry did they use, as if it was obvious that I did know about it

I found 20 installations of Microsoft Visual C++ on one computer yesterday. Win.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

4 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

I found 20 installations of Microsoft Visual C++ on one computer yesterday. Win.

They don't do harm.

They might be needed by some programs or games to be exact version, if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

112111.thumb.png.4d5ebec2793f8f2eda6aa85570f0700c.png:

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

They don't do harm.

They might be needed by some programs or games to be exact version, if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

112111.thumb.png.4d5ebec2793f8f2eda6aa85570f0700c.png:

Maybe but it didn't need 20 of them

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

#muricaparrotgang

On 9/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, FruitOfTheLum said:

Yeah i remember this being a TV commercial some years ago.

Mouse go's on monitor around 25 sec into video.

About an internet provider claiming to make it 'easier', which wasnt the case btw. 😄

4 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

Tell that to your different games needing specific versions of that.

(Altho might be that Windows 10 currently downloads them all automagicly for you, instead of your game giving weird errors).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

About an internet provider claiming to make it 'easier', which wasnt the case btw. 😄

Ahahahaha yes it was just like that!

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Tell that to your different games needing specific versions of that.

(Altho might be that Windows 10 currently downloads them all automagicly for you, instead of your game giving weird errors).

I think the only games that need it are FOMM and STALKER Anomaly.

#muricaparrotgang

Just now, FakeATF said:

I think the only games that need it are FOMM and STALKER Anomaly.

If no other applications use them you should be able to delete them and be done with it. (the not needed ones)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

Actually a lot op programs use multiple versions. 
for the stuff I needed for my win phone I needed all of them for it to work. ALL OF THEM

its pretty common if you use older programs

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HanZie82 said:

If no other applications use them you should be able to delete them and be done with it. (the not needed ones)

Yeah, I did. They both just needed the 2015-2019 version.

#muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, FakeATF said:

I've got 15 on my workstation.

Every fkin version of Unity seems to need a different one. Plus VS Code Compiler needs like 2, then there's one for Silverlight... all the things...

On 9/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, CT854 said:

This is mostly a symptom of people being raised to believe that things happen in a black box. If you're raised primarily using smartphones/tablets (or even an iMac or laptops - hell, any all-in-one device) it's easy to assume that everything that powers the display comes from the display itself.

i used to think that the monitor was the computer, i didnt know what the "box" was for..... i thougt laptops were monitors with keyboards.... dont blame me tho i was like 9....

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

3 minutes ago, adarw said:

i used to think that the monitor was the screen, i didnt know what the "box" was for..... i thougt laptops were monitors with keyboards.... dont blame me tho i was like 9....

I used to think all the processing was done in the keyboard.

My parents had one of those desks where you put the PC in the PC sized cabinet under the desk so you don't see it - so all there was was a monitor and keyboard. My dad also had a Commodore 64 (that's how I got into programming) that he would let me mess around with, and yknow it's basically just a super thick keyboard you plug into a monitor (or at least 6 year old me thought...) So I just assumed, oh the keyboard is the PC. And laptops are keyboards with a foldy screen. 

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I used to think all the processing was done in the keyboard.

My parents had one of those desks where you put the PC in the PC sized cabinet under the desk so you don't see it - so all there was was a monitor and keyboard. My dad also had a Commodore 64 (that's how I got into programming) that he would let me mess around with, and yknow it's basically just a super thick keyboard you plug into a monitor (or at least 6 year old me thought...) So I just assumed, oh the keyboard is the PC. And laptops are keyboards with a foldy screen. 

lol, do you still have that commodore tho?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

lol, do you still have that commodore tho?

Yes. 

We now have 2 C64's, a C128, an Apple II, and a IIe. 

I've got my own assortment of retro stuff that I paid for but those are his. 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, Mel0nMan said:

I hate it when people just chuck their bags with laptops in them face down on the ground and, If you’re a sane person and put your laptop at the back of the bag closest to the straps, it’s facing straight into the sun… and that phone face down hurts my soul…

-Image Snip-

That's like the way to get your phone stolen, just chuck it into the grass where everyone walks by. Man sometimes in Public Transport I could loot Handbags from Ladies so easily it's ridiculous.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.