Experiences with non-techies

This happened in the dorm last night.

Other guy: "What laptop is that?"

Me: "Dell Latitude E6540"

Him: "But no it's not running Microsoft"

Me (assuming he means Windows): "Yeah this is Linux"

Him: "But Microsoft is better, why aren't you using it? It's better for gaming than a Mac."

Me: "This is Ubuntu, basically a version of Linux. Linux is not Mac OS, I assume you mean Unix as most OSes are Unix based? But Linux is better for the programming I do since it is open source."

Him: *grunts and walks away*

Friend has gotten his chromebook encrypted from a free anti-virus from a bad google search..

Some times i wonder how people want to watch the world burn down.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

My friend:

Spoiler

image.png.5b073579a0a0b54201cf48ba5693a497.png

image.png.6da4b7ebb2c595e0707be906a94c7d73.png

image.png.ea5f5a13885b1c412b5bb9f44527064d.png

image.png.90063cea8c78ef7a604da7e2385b5efc.png

image.png.3e5dfe91fa3fd202acf6dfb8d8fad062.png

image.png.e1451c00add44fd76f0612b6e267ade1.png

image.png.543b93bbb31734cf17854098cec4317a.png

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

"My laptop's not working" 

"What happened?"

"Well I was sticking a paperclip in the holes on the bottom and it turned off" 

Overheard that in the tech room today... 

"How else am I supposed to get the SIM card tray out?"

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

"Yeah, isn't the tray located between the fan blades?"

If you melt a whole roll of solder across your motherboard's MOSFETS it makes your computer faster because the electrons have more room to travel, same should work with laptops, stick a paperclip in there and it skips some extra steps, electrons can get to where they're going faster!

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Are you able to run batch files on that thing? I have a batch script that can activate Windows 10, but it only works when run with elevated permissions.

We definitely don't have elevated permissions, I've checked. They lock down the crap out of these things.

Also, for some reason, I have Inspector blocked in Chrome but none of my friends do. It's sad because I barely know how to use it - all everyone uses it for is to change text on Canvas to say stupid crap.

elephants

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

We definitely don't have elevated permissions, I've checked. They lock down the crap out of these things.

Also, for some reason, I have Inspector blocked in Chrome but none of my friends do. It's sad because I barely know how to use it - all everyone uses it for is to change text on Canvas to say stupid crap.

image.png.e50c40503d2c99a2e82d33db25c924fe.png

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

My school didn't activate Windows on some of the school computers

Hide contents

activate.thumb.JPG.cb466111465d1a735b4b357d7cf119d0.JPG

Yes I know it's not super clear

Also yes I do VEX robotics

Isn't a windows education license free? Maybe IT just got lazy...

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

Just now, Cool_Evlo said:

Isn't a windows education license free? Maybe IT just got lazy...

Almost every other computer in the room has an activated license, I think this tower got swapped out because it wasn't working and they forgot to activate.

The place where I'm supposed to sit in Digital Electronics hasn't worked since the beginning of the war, but we got to change where we sat, so now I sit at a working tower with 2 monitors, while everyone else gets one.

elephants

5 hours ago, Schnoz said:

My brother's school handed him a Chromebook with a keyboard that looked like this. The longer you look at the keyboard, the worse it gets:

-snip-

Did that dude just remove that sticker on the palm rest to reduce weight?

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

5 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

And apparently a single keycap, too!

Oh yes, how did I not see that arrow pointing towards the removed keycap?

I'm just thinking of the anger, frustration and irritation that will accumulate in me while typing on that keyboard..

^

VPN Server Guide

6 hours ago, Schnoz said:

My brother's school handed him a Chromebook with a keyboard that looked like this. The longer you look at the keyboard, the worse it gets:

image.png.cb81cb9f501bddec50d0e0b2fee77c80.png

as a chromebook user, from school, this is the most cursed thing I have ever seen. so is it actually abc, or is it used and the old user messd with it? But the enter wouldn't be that messed up would it, what is this

On 5/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, King of Memes said:

Since I built a computer, everyone in my family thinks I'm like a tech god, but in reality I'm not at all.

My family is the same way, but I haven't even built a computer. All i have done is play Minecraft. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

My friend has a woodgrain phone case, it got scratched, so he bought a screen protector for the case.

I'm done. 

Bet he's going to try and cut the (tempered glass) screen protector to fit around his cameras... 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

My friend has a woodgrain phone case, it got scratched, so he bought a screen protector for the case.

I'm done. 

Bet he's going to try and cut the (tempered glass) screen protector to fit around his cameras... 

The best phone case is a battery pack strapped to your phone case

Very thick back!

I am taking my 6S to the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall this Saturday but I'm keeping the battery pack. I like that the 1 foot cable I use makes it easy to hold the phone (and plus it adds a good 1-2 hours to battery life).

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

The best phone case is a battery pack strapped to your phone case

Very thick back!

I am taking my 6S to the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall this Saturday but I'm keeping the battery pack. I like that the 1 foot cable I use makes it easy to hold the phone (and plus it adds a good 1-2 hours to battery life).

*drops phone*

*battery takes the brunt of the fall, phone is unscathed*

*battery gets punctured, explodes and destroys phone*