Experiences with non-techies

I remembered one about myself.

I used to leave my laptop open for like 5 minutes after I played a game (this was like 4 years ago) because I wanted to let it gradually cool off because I thought closing it would trap the heat and make the GPU die. For a while I also thought that if the GPU went from hot to cold too fast it would crack and break.

I used to have a limited knowledge of hardware but kinda made up what I didn't know based on what child me thought seemed right.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

I remembered one about myself.

I used to leave my laptop open for like 5 minutes after I played a game (this was like 4 years ago) because I wanted to let it gradually cool off because I thought closing it would trap the heat and make the GPU die. For a while I also thought that if the GPU went from hot to cold too fast it would crack and break.

I used to have a limited knowledge of hardware but kinda made up what I didn't know based on what child me thought seemed right.

I mean It is true, the process cracks and breaks rock though, not computers, the sudden cooling freezes water inside the rock increasing its volume, then the heating evaporates the water rock*, leaving cracks inside the water. Yes, I am a nerd, and yes I love all sciences and history and geography

So when I moved academies there was this student who thought he knew about tech (aka) self claimed techie and he was surprised about the fact that I know about GPUs, further on he said the apus were able to run without any power and going on too say its a battery in itself. He might have gotten the translaions wrong but since he was in the top3 classes of the academy I highly doubt it.

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

One of the places I used work at, I get a call that someone from the finance team cannot access the network, I thinking what the hell? What's happened? I go and and check out the problem.. It turned out it was the finance director....he bought his personal laptop, took out the ethernet cable from the docking station and connected to his laptop.. 🤦‍♂️ and the annoying thing is that the port has to be manually turned.

And to insult to injury, I had to fill out an incident report and the director had to sign it, he kept refusing. So I had bring in the CEO into it. LOL

For anyone who is confused, Cisco has a security feature on their switches called port security which allows only 1 or 2 mac address(es) (Cisco phone) to connect to port on a switch. If the switch sees a foreign mac address it will shut down the port until someone manually starts it up again. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

To be fair, that's how the Xbox One was supposed to originally work...

Reminds me of the Raspberry Pi "wait for network on boot" where it just won't go to GUI unless you've got the Ethernet cable in

This one is horrendous be ready:

My friend thinks that swap is the answer to ram having 8gb of ram.

He has waht he calls a 1tb 'ssd' and he uses it as a swap saying it works fine, furthermore he suggested me to use a micro sd card as a swap. He also said that 32gb is too small to be a swap.

Ridiculous right?

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

3 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

This one is horrendous be ready:

My friend thinks that swap is the answer to ram having 8gb of ram.

He has waht he calls a 1tb 'ssd' and he uses it as a swap saying it works fine, furthermore he suggested me to use a micro sd card as a swap. He also said that 32gb is too small to be a swap.

Ridiculous right?

Ask that dude to smash his SSD into the RAM slot, that way he'd have 1 TB of RAM

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

24 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Though, that's still a pretty bad "solution".

Correction: it's not a solution at all.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

This doesn't have anything to do with Tech but more with general ignorance:

My CEO is all about recycling all of our Trash correctly and making sure we're not harming the environment. And then his Secretary still throws Card Board Boxes into the big Trash bin even though the Card Board Bin is right next to it. I've fished like 6 Boxes out of the trash today that weren't even ripped apart or anything. smh.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

My mom spilled a glass of water over my keyboard. She just dried it up with a towel and didn't tell me because she thought it was probably fine.

As usual, I go and open Teams because I had some online lectures and after 5 hours of typing it stopped working.

1 minute ago, EL02 said:

My mom spilled a glass of water over my keyboard. She just dried it up with a towel and didn't tell me because she thought it was probably fine.

As usual, I go and open Teams because I had some online lectures and after 5 hours of typing it stopped working.

I have one of those early 00's Apple boards (the ones that came with eMacs and iMacs and I think Mac Pros, the clear and white ones that are way too thick and way too long) - my 2yo cousin poured literally an entire glass of apple juice over the keyboard. Put it in the dishwasher and it's mostly fine but the numpad can be a bit spotty and it still smells a bit off to this day (like 3 years later). it was my main keyboard at the time... 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, Ankh Tech said:

the sudden cooling freezes water inside the rock increasing its volume, then the heating evaporates the water rock*

I hope you dont have water in your gpu?!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

-1 for that awful pun.

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, so +1 for hidden

On 10/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, RockSolid1106 said:

Ask that dude to smash his SSD into the RAM slot, that way he'd have 1 TB of RAM

So I made a visual representation of that scenario.

motherboard.jpg

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

My teacher keeps calling the control key CTRL, as in saying each individual letter, and it bothers me more than it should

Sounds like if you hear it one more time you'll lose see tee are elle.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

My teacher keeps calling the control key CTRL, as in saying each individual letter, and it bothers me more than it should

Whenever someone asks for a keyboard shortcut involving Escape I say it "Esc".

Ctrl = Control, Shift = Shift, Alt = Alt, but Escape = Esc. And only Escape too, I say Delete instead of Del.

I do NOT sound out letters though. That's just wrong, and it takes way too long to say "Ctrl+Shift+Esc"

elephants

7 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

for some reason i say it as cltra, i spell it out..... idk it sounds cool

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Today in English class there were students, fellow high school Freshmen, failing to save things in Word because they're so used to things that autosave and being so confused when their work is gone and being really overwhelmingly confused on how to click that button representing an archaic storage medium they will never know about. 

In schools there should be some sort of rudimentary computer science class where you get taught how to literally save a file, like come on! It'd make the other 15 years of school so much easier to just spend like an hour a week for 4 weeks at the start of the year early on how to do simple stuff like that... 

People who believe that hyperthreaded processors strictly have two threads "physically incorporated" inside each core.

Edited by thekingofmonks

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

People who believe that hyperthreaded processors strictly have two threads "incorporated" inside each core.

looks up with quilty eyes

Well as I've seen, most consumer CPUs have 2x threads as compared to the number of cores. Some server CPU from AMD I think I remember having like 64 cores and 96 threads and then I knew that threads were not always 2x the cores

Someone in my class was having trouble logging in to our school website, and just started complaining to the teacher that it wasn't working which was totally helpful. I thought it would be something like a DNS error or some firewall thing, but they send me this:

Spoiler

image.png.5163c6504238de2810999f03bd9924cf.png

I just asked them advanced -> Continue with the risk, because it was a school website and we don't really care about our encryption.

Part of this does go to Chrome for making it 1) difficult to spot the Advanced button, and 2) Advanced doesn't really make you think there will be an option under it to let you "continue anyway". 

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide