Experiences with non-techies

12 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

"An SSID is faster than a hard drive because hard drives read from CDs, SSIDs are all electrical and faster because they don't have to spin a disk to work"

-Teacher

Did they actually say "SSID"?

An SSID is an identifier for a Wi-Fi network.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

An SSID is faster than a hard drive because hard drives read from CDs

595146927_images-2021-08-31T231750_187.jpeg.a06f847be0511d951a1807fee934e36c.jpeg

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, he said SSID. And he meant SSD, because we were talking about hard drives at the time.

Was this some Beginners Computer Class?

17 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

No this was biology. I had brought up computers.

At least this teacher had a different profession in mind... 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1. So when I was in a English academy and I met a friend who was "Interested in Tech"

One day he comes to me and says chromium is a rubbish browser made by MS I didn't know it than but now I just facepalm myself every time I think of it.

2.That same guy in class said that he was planning to build a custom pc and the GPU is expensive because of miners so he is going to have to wait (partly true) but he completely forgot that you could buy a gpu for cheap by buying prebuilts. And he ended up paying 2000 usd for a ridiculously overkill system for him with scalper priced gpu.

P.S

He had a youtube channel and said that he needed to play his games at 4k...

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

So in Library, teacher plugged their laptop in to the projector, a Lenovo BIOS update utility popup came up. She hits 'next' so of course it restarts and goes to, well, the BIOS. She goes "The projector gave my computer a virus!" and she literally unplugged the computer. (luckily it was nearly fully charged). I just said, let it finish it's a Windows security update. 

I hate it when people just chuck their bags with laptops in them face down on the ground and, If you’re a sane person and put your laptop at the back of the bag closest to the straps, it’s facing straight into the sun… and that phone face down hurts my soul…

F6C81ECA-879A-40D0-9ABF-BFEEEEE87FC8.thumb.jpeg.578e80f97ba51686fe5bff8b69334ca9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I will chuck my laptop like a pizza 4 feet across the room onto my bed. It didn't get to be 11 years old by being babied.

You see, you can do that because your laptop is 11 years old and not a Mac. Throw any modern laptop 6 inches onto a pillow and it'll explode. 

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

You see, you can do that because your laptop is 11 years old and not a Mac. Throw any modern laptop 6 inches onto a pillow and it'll explode. 

Mostly because SSD and IDGAF. I'm more worried about the charge port...fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I hate it when people just chuck their bags with laptops in them face down on the ground and, If you’re a sane person and put your laptop at the back of the bag closest to the straps, it’s facing straight into the sun… and that phone face down hurts my soul…

F6C81ECA-879A-40D0-9ABF-BFEEEEE87FC8.thumb.jpeg.578e80f97ba51686fe5bff8b69334ca9.jpeg

imagine this but in kuwait were 50 degrees celsius is normal in summer

54 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

kuwait

grass in kuwait, suprising.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

11 minutes ago, adarw said:

grass in kuwait, suprising.

yea mostly artificial, but there are some plants and grass

23 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

So in Library, teacher plugged their laptop in to the projector, a Lenovo BIOS update utility popup came up. She hits 'next' so of course it restarts and goes to, well, the BIOS. She goes "The projector gave my computer a virus!" and she literally unplugged the computer. (luckily it was nearly fully charged). I just said, let it finish it's a Windows security update. 

Why can't Windows be more like Linux with doing updates. You know like ask for an actual Password for this? And as far as Firmware Updates? that should on be done inside the BIOS/UEFI Setup Menu only.

This was back 2010 or so. A friend asked me why his PC cup holder wasn't working anymore. I didn't understand, obviously and after a few failed attempts at understanding why his prebuild came with a cup holder I just went to his home...

The cup holder? His CD drive bay, it was never used as intended, because 2010 apparently was a little late to the VCD party, instead it was used as a convenient cup holder, until it was so bent that refused to spit the tray anymore.

To this day I'm still positive that's a cool PC mod.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

On 8/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, VFXGuy said:

This local(ish) sports club I follow on YouTube posted like 10 videos of someone's face. Turns out someone was trying to set up cameras for live streams but had accidentally gone live a multitude of times and not taken the videos down. They have about 3000 subscribers as well

can you please send me the link

1 hour ago, Gagz9k said:

This was back 2010 or so. A friend asked me why his PC cup holder wasn't working anymore. I didn't understand, obviously and after a few failed attempts at understanding why his prebuild came with a cup holder I just went to his home...

The cup holder? His CD drive bay, it was never used as intended, because 2010 apparently was a little late to the VCD party, instead it was used as a convenient cup holder, until it was so bent that refused to spit the tray anymore.

I heard that one back in the early to mid 90's. CD-ROM and VCD's never took off in the US for some reason. Mostly Asia and Eastern Europe.

8 hours ago, Gagz9k said:

That was a thing... but wow that just made me laugh so hard

10 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

That was a thing... but wow that just made me laugh so hard

I wonder if Thermaltake was selling these things due to the Urban legend?

The One about the ANY Key, any truth to this?