Experiences with non-techies

Oh  my gosh, I remember trying to help this one lady who migrated from an iPhone 6 to a Motorolla Maxx 2 and was complaining how much it sucked ect in performance next to her older iPhone. 

She couldn't grasp the concept there were multiple Android phones at different price points and performance. She literally thought Samsung phones for example were completely different all together! So here she was ranting about a more budget oriented Android device to an iPhone and even got the OS wrong. At the end of our discussion she literally said "I dunno who this Andrew is, but I'm gonna sue the Andrew!!"  (Andrew = Android) ?

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Oh  my gosh, I remember trying to help this one lady who migrated from an iPhone 6 to a Motorolla Maxx 2 and was complaining how much it sucked ect in performance next to her older iPhone. 

She couldn't grasp the concept there were multiple Android phones at different price points and performance. She literally thought Samsung phones for example were completely different all together! So here she was ranting about a more budget oriented Android device to an iPhone and even got the OS wrong. At the end of our discussion she literally said "I dunno who this Andrew is, but I'm gonna sue the Andrew!!"  (Andrew = Android)

lmao

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So a problem child called in today.

Yaaaay, another one of kaiju_wars work stories!

So, now, what happened?  A customer, who's a problem child, who my coworker spent 45 minutes on the phone with earlier, called back.  

He can't get on the internet on anything.  I check sync and session, everything looks perfect.  I see he has a routerboard, based on the MAC I got from the session.  I have him power cycle it, nothing.  I send the agreement number and the I.P. address to NOC, ask if they can see anything that maybe I can't.  
No, everything is looking fucking perfect.  Okay then.  I ask him to try plugging in via Ethernet, still nothing.  I ask him if he has anything else plugged into the back of the routerboard.  He tells me no.  I know he's lying because lo and behold, I see his shit is bridged with a fucking modem.  Anyways, I see that all his fucking devices, all of them, are valid and connected to his modem.

He's about as close to a perfect example of a perfect connection that you can get.  You can obviously tell when listening to him, he's not doing anything I am asking him to do.  He's just trying to be a problem child, like he usually does.  

I contact NOC, there's nothing wrong.  Nothing that can be done.  He's good, he just either doesn't know how to work his shit, or he's trying to be a pain in the ass.  (Or possibly both).

He asks for a tech, I ask NOC.  NOC's like, "yeah, we'll send a tech, but he's most likely going to pay for it."

I quote potential charges, he okays it.  Send it up for a tech.

Enjoy the fucking bill you asshole. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

She couldn't grasp the concept there were multiple Android phones at different price points and performance. She literally thought Samsung phones for example were completely different all together! So here she was ranting about a more budget oriented Android device to an iPhone and even got the OS wrong. At the end of our discussion she literally said "I dunno who this Andrew is, but I'm gonna sue the Andrew!!"  (Andrew = Android) ?

To be fair an iPhone is sadly much faster (more responsive) than a flagship Android phone.

Compare an iPhone 7 to a galaxy s7 

(I'm not a fanboy I don't like Apple and will never buy anything from them)

(Maybe the new pixel is as responsive but that's a single phone)

2 hours ago, Principis said:

To be fair an iPhone is sadly much faster (more responsive) than a flagship Android phone.

Sadly, yeah, that can be true for even many Android flagships due to all the bloatware and extra unneeded features added on to the operating system. As far as I know, the Pixel sounds like it's pretty responsive, but I'm still waiting on Anandtech's review, since they usually cover all aspects of the phone.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Sadly, yeah, that can be true for even many Android flagships due to all the bloatware and extra unneeded features added on to the operating system. As far as I know, the Pixel sounds like it's pretty responsive, but I'm still waiting on Anandtech's review, since they usually cover all aspects of the phone.

you can rum custom Roms (i use one on my 1 plus 2)

and its nearly as snappy as iPhones

2 hours ago, Principis said:

You can't really compare anything with a Samsung Galaxy and their crappy/laggy TouchWiz. The hardware is more than capable of running Android smoothly if TouchWiz isn't present. ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You can't really compare anything with a Samsung Galaxy and their crappy/laggy TouchWiz. The hardware is more than capable of running Android smoothly if TouchWiz isn't present. ;)

never had any problems :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

never had any problems :P 

Yeah, I should have mentioned it's not everyone that experience those lags, but it's a common problem with TouchWiz, a simple Google search will confirm that! :D

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

41 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

A lot of users aren't that savvy though and will be afraid of doing so. As well, I think some phones have locked bootloaders so that can't be done in the first place, not to mention that some phones like the s7 edge and v20 have special features that can't be taken advantage of as much with a custom ROM.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

If only I got a euro for everytime I heard someone say "so when will Intel release their i9?"

The amount of people that confuse memory and storage is way too high too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

37 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

A lot of users aren't that savvy though and will be afraid of doing so. As well, I think some phones have locked bootloaders so that can't be done in the first place, not to mention that some phones like the s7 edge and v20 have special features that can't be taken advantage of as much with a custom ROM.

i didn't make the ROM myself but got it from forums(not LTT,unfortunately)

27 minutes ago, Minibois said:

If only I got a euro for everytime I heard someone say "so when will Intel release their i9?"

also the no of people who think 

Perf(GPU) is equal to vRam on it 

today in my college's CSI (computer science initiative ..literally the nerd group )

I was unfortunate to here this "Rx 460 (4Gb )is better than Gtx 1060(3 Gb) bcoz it has more vRam " and i went "what the fuck" but since i didnt wanna give them  a half an hour lecture so i simply left the room 

1 hour ago, Scitesh said:

i didn't make the ROM myself but got it from forums(not LTT,unfortunately)

No no no... I'm not saying they have to make their own ROM, that's way too complicated. I'm referring to flashing their own ROM. Some people are probably afraid of doing that... I know for certain my parents would never attempt it, and I wouldn't do it unless a totally hate the ROM currently on my phone (which I don't, OxygenOS works fine for me).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Principis said:

Sadly you can't say that on the phone :P

We have a cat poster in the office that says, "how to adult at work?  Replace 'fuck you' with 'okay, great!'

I said that at least 3 times during the 30 minute phone call with him.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:52 PM, FloRolf said:

This next one is a little strange because it comes from my brother who actually works in IT lol.

>So today he messages me asking why the fuck DDR2 ram is so damn expensive.

>I asked him why he needs DDR2? But i assumed for his workplace (Dunno why they'd have DDR2 though) So i'm like, i still have 4x2gb around.

>Then he answeres yeah, he has 4x2gb himself but he wants 16gig for his home PC.

>I'm like, you trolling bro?

>Nah, why? He needs DDR2 for his PC which only supports 800mhz. Old Asus P5B with Core 2 Duo.

>Bro... Bro .... You gotta be trollin?

>Nah?! I looked up my latest order which was the C2D?!

>Bro... ~1.5 years ago i upgraded your PC to a i7 4770k with 2x4gig DDR3 2400mhz....

>Oh, lol. Then forget that DDR2 thing... And he was wondering why he still has that old ass C2D lol.

Sometimes this dude is really weird man... His hardware skillz go to zero but programming is okay i guess lol.

Oh and the conversation is not done actually

>Why do you need 16gigs anyways?

>Firefox keeps dying

>Then maybe you shouldn't have 200tabs open all the time. It's not like it eats ram like Chrome does

>He actually had ... WAIT FOR IT.... ONE FUCKING THOUSAND (in Numbers: 1000) TABS OPEN yesterday and proceeded to close 600 of them.

What. The. Fuck.

I can have that many tabs open in my firefox session.
not all of them 'loaded', but they're in my tab tree for quick access.

brows.PNG

Ignore the bit of WoW on the right there, lol. also ignore my windows looking like old xp. can't teach an old bunny new tricks. >_>

most of those tabs aren't loaded. they're just ready to be opened. its actually pretty effecient for browsing imho.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

23 hours ago, Scitesh said:

if you can unlock bootloader

stupidly my note 5 is fucking 'special' (since its only sold in one area of the world, not even region) and theres a chance that i will perma brick this.

22 hours ago, Minibois said:

(will edit a photo here in a bit..)

14 hours ago, BurgerBum said:

I can have that many tabs open in my firefox session.
not all of them 'loaded', but they're in my tab tree for quick access.

brows.PNG

Ignore the bit of WoW on the right there, lol. also ignore my windows looking like old xp. can't teach an old bunny new tricks. >_>

most of those tabs aren't loaded. they're just ready to be opened. its actually pretty effecient for browsing imho.

my browsing habits require this.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Manjaro (or dd for Manjaro/Arch) developers.

Simply, why not break the USB, make 2 partitions and assume the 2 partitions combined are 32 GB instead of 16 GB max capacity?

And change sdb to sdf for no reason?

And skip 4 drive letters on the sdf/sdb's?

And assume one is Ext when i never even formatted it as Ext?

Just for this i'm reinstalling WIndows and installing LInux from that. And removing WIndows again. Are u srs m8?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Another one from the work place o' fun.

Ready for this?

Lady calls, her words verbatim, "my internet is working, what's the issue?"

What the fuck?  It's working.  What the hell do you want me to do?  It's working.  (And yes, I triple checked, it was working)

Another lady calls, her internet went out when she unplugged the DSL cable for her modem from the wall, and plugged medical equipment there instead.  She had some splitter, plugged the modem into port one, the equipment into port two, then plugged it into the wall, both started working.  But still..

"Why's my internet not working?  I disconnected my modem...."

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

The magic of drivers ?

image.png

image.png

when i was part of some dipshit community we had much faster chat than this one day

i swear you could expect atleast 15 times less the time it took for a new comment or post or whatever that's called on discord to be shown

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

While searching for IDE and AHCI modes (been using my system in IDE mode for 4 years without knowing, oops). Looked at the comments on one article about IDE/ACHI modes and found this:

AXbt9wL.jpg

Main PC: Acer IPISB-VR│Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4GHz│AeroCool AirFrost 4 with Noctua NF-A9│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB│Cricual MX500 250GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm + Seagate 1TB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 & Windows 11 Pro│CoolerMaster Silencio 352M│Seasonic M12II-520 EVO 520W│Acer SA220Q 22" 1920x1080

Secondary PC: MSI H81M-P33│Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│16GB DDR3 1866MHz (1600MHz) Dual-channel│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + Seagate 1TB│Windows 11 Pro│Acer Aspire M1930 case│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Test PC/Nice XP PC: ASUS M2N│AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHz│CoolerMaster unkown model│4GB DDR2 800MHz│nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB│Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200rpm + WD Raptor 74GB 10000 rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 + Windows XP Pro SP3│TurboX Case│Zalman 450W│LG Flatron L1718S 17" 1280x1024

Future workshop PC: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2│AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz│Some 130W tower cooler│8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│AMD Radeon HD4670 512MB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840 case│Antec VP350P 350W│Lenovo L220x. 22" 1920x1200

HTPC: HP Elite 8200 USDT│Intel Core i7-2600s 2.8GHz│6GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD Graphics 2000│WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64│JVC LT-32VF30K 32" 1920x1080

New Main laptop: HP ProBook 455 G9│AMD Ryzen 5 2625U 2.3GHz│16GB DDR4 3200MHz│AMD Radeon RX Vega 7│1TB NVMe SSD│Win 11 Pro│15.6" 1920x1080
Old Main laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│Kingston 240GB SSD│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Secondary laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Corei7-3520M 2.9GHz│8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│2 x Crucial BX500 500GB SSDs│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Main phone: Sony Xperia X CompactOther phones: Sony Xperia L3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (x2){and both are dead now}, Sony Xperia E3, Sony Xperia Tipo + 12 more (not going not list everything)

Most other PCs and laptops I own:

Spoiler

Small laptop: Acer Aspire One D255│Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz│2GB DDR3 1333MHz│Intel GMA3150 256MB│Western Digital 500GB 5400rpm KingDian S100 32GB Apacer AS350X 120GB SSD│Win 7 Ultimate x64 & Win 10 Pro x64 Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit & Q4OS│10.1" 1024x600

Old secondary PC: ASUS A7V8X-X│AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz│Titan CPU Cooler│1.75GB DDR 400MHz│nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB│2 x WesternDigital 40GB 7200rpm (sadly one seems to be dead)│Windows XP Pro SP3│Some case│Codegen 300XA 350W│Dell E173FP 17" 1280x1024 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768Philips 200P4 20" 1600x1200

"The Old" PC: eMachines eTower 466i│Intel Celeron 466MHz│512MB RAM PC133│nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB PCI ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x_ 4MB│Seagate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm│Windows 98SE & Windows XP Pro SP3│IBM P50 14" 1024x768 CRT

"The Floppy" laptop: Clevo 2700C│Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz│512MB PC133 SDRAM│SiS 630 32MB shared│Samsung 40GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│15" 1024x768

"The P4" laptop: HP Pavillion ZD8000│Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz│2GB DDR2 666MHz Dual-channel│ATi Mobility Radeon X600 256MB│Seagate 100GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│17" 1440x900

Dell laptop: Dell Latitude D600│Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz│1.5GB DDR 333MHz│ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB│40GB IDE│Windows XP Pro SP3│14.1"  1400x1050

Future workshop PC (dead): MSI MS-7302│Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz│Stock cooler│3GB DDR2 800MHz│AMD Radeon HD7470 2GB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840│FSP Group 250W│Samsung SyncMaster 730bf 17" 1280x1024

Old Secondary PC: HP IPISB-CH│Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│8GB DDR3 1333MHz│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 2.5"│Windows 7 Ultimate x64│Acer Aspire M1930│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

3 hours ago, dsv1999 said:

While searching for IDE and AHCI modes (been using my system in IDE mode for 4 years without knowing, oops). Looked at the comments on one article about IDE/ACHI modes and found this:

-snipe-

How do you count the reps?

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270