Experiences with non-techies

Fish appearance technology is the winner here.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 hours ago, Anir said:

There are many examples of this on YouTube. Watch Thio Joe videos

He had a serious channel, as well as the joke one.

Here is the serious one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThioJoeTech

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On 29-10-2016 at 1:21 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

How can anyone dare this not updating for 24+ hours??? THIS IS A CRIME! THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING, LTT!

jk

It's Vacation :o

3 hours ago, Anir said:

I was planning to build a gaming PC , visited a local hardware store, they showed me a nvdia GT 210, saying it can run any modern games ????. Finally I have my PC built and there is a gtx 1070 in there.

But... But.... How???!!! Bunch of assholes

On 10/31/2016 at 0:51 AM, Principis said:

But... But.... How???!!! Bunch of assholes

Who are assholes ?

5 minutes ago, Anir said:

Who are assholes ?

Some sales assistants who recommended him to buy a GT 210

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes

Some info before the story itself - before going to university I saved some money and bought myself an Aspire laptop(i5 540m, GTX 540m, 6 GB DDR3(upgraded from 3GB, still don't know who had the bright idea to combine 2GB and 1GB sticks) and 5400rpm hdd). It is a good mid to low end machine, which I used as my main rig for 3-4 years. After starting my first job I bought myself my current PC and a year later - a G751, so I decided to send the old Aspire to my parents to use(the thing still works).
So a friend family went to visit my parents. They have a kid, which is 12-13 years old. My parents gave him the laptop and after 10 minutes a shout came from the room:

- Wow, this is a gaming laptop, isn't it?
 - Why do you think so? - asked my father.
 - It's red and is so fast...
P.S. I'm curious how will he react to something with ssd in it :)

This isn't really a story but I have this kid in my class and he thinks he knows everything about computers but realistically knows nothing 

Aparently he's going to  build a gaming setup not pc setup for like 10  thousand dollars with 3 top of the line asus monters ("didn't know thair was cheaper ones") 

He also thinks that's a video card called the 720 (think he means 750 ti) and it slots sumwere in between the rx 480 and the GTX 1080? 

Finly he thinks he has a desktop grade GTX 980 in this 

26359B53-B0F1-4C77-A8FA-D3AF98E40AB6-11541-000006AA5D22DB44_tmp.png

Update: I used win disk imger to load my ubuntue image on to my USB but win disk imiger partisans your USB. So this kid asks can he use my USB and I tell him that it's in a 3 mb partition and he doesn't know what partitioning is so he just got on and on arsking why can't I use it. 

Finally my school laptops when they over heat the ssd stops working and it goes in to menu and arsks to select a boot device so you have to turn off and on the laptop for it to work. One realy hot day this kept happening so this idiot decided to pull-up a severe manual and the first thing it said was to remove the battery can anyone tell me why it's bad to remove a battery from a laptop under wornty 

1 hour ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

the 720

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-720 ,

it might slot into a PCI slot in a mixed brand system Between the 480 and 1060 , 

but it will NEVER ever reach the performance of EITHER ,

im pretty sure the lowest Under-clock you can get on those cards (usually 300~500 mhz) will still beat it 

01G-P3-2722-KR_XL_6.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Here are some of my favorites

'How do I click'

'How do I copy these words to here'

'why isn't my laptop on(never used power button)'

'Consoles have the same performance as gaming PC's'

'My Wii U has better graphics than your 980ti ever will'

'What is RAM'

Kids these days...

2 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

This isn't really a story but I have this kid in my class and he thinks he knows everything about computers but realistically knows nothing 

Aparently he's going to  build a gaming setup not pc setup for like 10  thousand dollars with 3 top of the line asus monters ("didn't know thair was cheaper ones") 

He also thinks that's a video card called the 720 (think he means 750 ti) and it slots sumwere in between the rx 480 and the GTX 1080? 

Finly he thinks he has a desktop grade GTX 980 in this 

26359B53-B0F1-4C77-A8FA-D3AF98E40AB6-11541-000006AA5D22DB44_tmp.png

Is that my old laptop? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Is that my old laptop? 

idk, do you have a desktop 980 in it? :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

idk, do you have a desktop 980 in it? :D 

yes, but ASUS removed the dedicated Gpu from it..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

the healthcare provider i sometimes come at don't know how to handle patient privacy sensetive digital media and have a really bad network. they don't even have an IT team and they got infected with a ransomeware. i was making backups for them after that since someone had to do it (they literally broke the law by letting me access it). then the director called one of their friends who work for some cloud computing IT firm so they could switch to a cloud, when he came i asked him how he would secure the network because its badly optimized and doesn't have a firewall or anything atm to guarantee a secure connection. he said the thinclient doesn't stream anything from their cloud solution and that it only sync's kilobytes per day with the server, even though it maintains a uncompressed 1080p 60fps desktop streaming solution. not only that but he also unplugged all the backups i was making ruining every backup in the process. at that point i just decided to say fuck it and give up. this company has existed for FOUR FUCKING YEARS. the only reason why i have not made an responsible disclosure is because the 50 poor sods under their care would become homeless. most people working there where amazed with the computer wizardy i did, they didn't know what a backup was and never backed anything up. i explained that a backup literally is a 1 to 1 copy of their files. so done with this company.

Another story from my friend, he was trying to send me a screenshot but he kept saying his "print screen button" must be damaged or something because he can't paste anything.

Told him to try another keyboard, then after that didn't work, we had a bit of back and forth trying to troubleshoot the problem ... Turns out it was a code 18, for some unknown reason, instead of pasting the screenshot in Gmail, he was trying to paste it in notepad ... Yes, notepad.

I told him that would never work and he replied "yeah but it works in Words"

... There are so many things wrong with this, I genuinely don't know where to start!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

the IT employee at my school.

He has some knowledge, but that's the end basically... our "IT class" is going on computers and studying things. Nothing else.

and the IT guy there just plays games and searches pictures, and only troubleshoots.

My school has a great IT class.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

my it teach is really shure that Windows 10 pro on the surface tablet is incompatible w/ normal pc Hardware , also Office 365 on that is not the normal Office 365 , its apperantly some butchered Version because "the tablet is a totally different arcitecture"

.__.

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On October 26, 2016 at 7:45 AM, DocSwag said:

Oh no there's no way it's jail broken lol.

All the people I know at my school that I could imagine jail breaking their phone are already on Android :D.

Well... Except for one. He's one of those MLG360 HAXOR kids that really doesn't know much. He bought a $100+ premium account on a website that lets you ddos stuff through the website (basically you're paying the website to ddos stuff for you) and as far as I know all he did was ddos the school wifi, shutting it down for a few minutes.

He also decided that Linux is much better than macOS... So he downloaded it and put it on a VM on his computer. I honestly have no idea why he did it. Everything he needs to do on his computer could easily be done on macOS, plus sometimes we need to use word or excel on our computers, and you need to use Wine to do that on Linux. That's not to mention that the fps of him scrolling through a website was probably below 15... He probably didn't allocate enough ram. A few other kids also did the same thing he did and they let me take a look and help change some settings and I'm pretty sure the default amount of ram allocated was 1gb xD. He tried to look so computer cool by running Linux, but he didn't even realize he didn't allocate enough ram.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that whole Linux on a VM thing started and ended on the same day :D.

I'm pretty sure his phone isn't jailbroken, but if it was:

1) I probably would have found out by now because of him telling everyone how MLG HAXOR he is.

2) He probably would have had 9.3.3 and then "accidentally" updated to iOS 10 and screwed everything up :P.

You totally reminded me of MLG360 HAXOR. If more funny experiences I have with him come up in the future I'll totally post them.

What does MLG360 HAXOR mean?

On October 29, 2016 at 8:43 AM, kaiju_wars said:

Customer calls.  He can't receive email.  Look up his account, oh lookie, you met your quota.  You'll have to delete emails.

First I have to walk this guy through actually going to the address bar and typing: www.srt.com.  But nope, he keeps google searching it.

Then, he can't remember his email password.  I change it for him.  He says it's still not taking it.  I test the password for him, and lo and behold, I get in.

How the flipping flapjack titty sprinkles can you not type in the password you just changed it to?  I made sure he was putting in his email correctly and everything.

Did you figure out what his glitch was?

(Why he couldn't sign in even with the reset password?)

Also: points for creative and colorful alternative to swearing.  ?

12 hours ago, shymi said:

Some info before the story itself - before going to university I saved some money and bought myself an Aspire laptop(i5 540m, GTX 540m, 6 GB DDR3(upgraded from 3GB, still don't know who had the bright idea to combine 2GB and 1GB sticks) and 5400rpm hdd). It is a good mid to low end machine, which I used as my main rig for 3-4 years. After starting my first job I bought myself my current PC and a year later - a G751, so I decided to send the old Aspire to my parents to use(the thing still works).
So a friend family went to visit my parents. They have a kid, which is 12-13 years old. My parents gave him the laptop and after 10 minutes a shout came from the room:

- Wow, this is a gaming laptop, isn't it?
 - Why do you think so? - asked my father.
 - It's red and is so fast...
P.S. I'm curious how will he react to something with ssd in it :)

I want that child's intelligence tested thoroughly.  

"It's red and fast so it must be awesome.  Derp derp."  ?

I joke but seriously if he thinks that old computer is a fast gaming laptop then yikes I fear he's in for a shock if he ever gets to use something newer especially if it has a SSD in it like you mentioned.