Experiences with non-techies

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

One of them is shitty and one of them is fine.

It's hard to explain. Once you look at a Surface Display (whether that's on a Surface Pro 4, Surface Book or Surface Studio) you can never go back

once you looked at a 21" Wacom , you will not go back

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

only because they put there name on it does not mean they made it

No no I know that and I think @Railgun does too. It's just the fact that MSI even sells one with their name on it that surprised me. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, Railgun said:

Same here. When I read that and said wtf

they are pretty bad 

6 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Linux is nice for someone who knows how to use it , but install Linux in an office where people are messing up locked down live installs of windows and you will have a fun time as IT

agreed! though i can only use ubuntu (my college uses ubuntu for some reason)

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope.

I believe that all devices should have the same kind of pixel density regardless of how far away you sit from them.

The golden number is roughly between 250 and 300 pixels per inch. IMHO, a 40" TV should probably be 7680x4320 (Super Ultra High Definition).

U WOT M8?

But in all seriousness, I don't think that makes any sense.  By that logic billboards should be like 20k because they're huge and everything needs 300 dpi, right?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

U WOT M8?

But in all seriousness, I don't think that makes any sense.  By that logic billboards should be like 20k because they're huge and everything needs 300 dpi, right?

My personal preference:

• Phones & Tablets: 400-600 DPI (400-500 is honestly enough though unless you're gonna do VR)
  • Laptops: 250-300 DPI
  • Monitors: ~200 DPI
  • TVs: Probably somewhere around 125-175 DPI
  • Billboards: Probably like 50-100 DPI :D 

Oh, and VR: 1700-2000 DPI. :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

anyyxqL_700b.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

anyyxqL_700b.jpg

it is nice to see a Indian here and Amazon is the biggest Noob (Atleast Shopclues got something right they messed my headphone order)Dell 7000 series is much better

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

My personal preference:

• Phones & Tablets: 400-600 DPI (400-500 is honestly enough though unless you're gonna do VR)
  • Laptops: 250-300 DPI
  • Monitors: ~200 DPI
  • TVs: Probably somewhere around 125-175 DPI
  • Billboards: Probably like 50-100 DPI :D 

Oh, and VR: 1700-2000 DPI. :P 

ii honestly think phones need a bit more (I know i have seen the diff bw OP3 and S7 )

10 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

ii honestly think phones need a bit more (I know i have seen the diff bw OP3 and S7 )

The thing with the OnePlus 3 and most modern phones with AMOLED displays though is that it's display is technically 401 DPI or whatever it is but because of the pixel arrangement only the green is technically at that high DPI, the red and blue are actually lower at around 270 or so DPI. http://www.oled-info.com/pentile

Pentile displays have more green sub pixels than red and blue ones so companies market their resolution as the resolution of the green pixels but in reality the blue and red ones are at a lower resolution. When referring to a normal RGB sub-pixel arrangement display 400 PPI is enough but when using pentile you probably do want the DPI to be more like 500-600 DPI

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The thing with the OnePlus 3 and most modern phones with AMOLED displays though is that it's display is technically 401 DPI or whatever it is but because of the pixel arrangement only the green is technically at that high DPI, the red and blue are actually lower at around 270 or so DPI. http://www.oled-info.com/pentile

Pentile displays have more green sub pixels than red and blue ones so companies market their resolution as the resolution of the green pixels but in reality the blue and red ones are at a lower resolution. When referring to a normal RGB sub-pixel arrangement display 400 PPI is enough but when using pentile you probably do want the DPI to be more like 500-600 DPI

I can say OP3 With google carboard sucks (general observation)

Disclaimer : i own neither i borrowed them from a friend of mine

looking for XP drivers for my dell and i saw

Unbenannt.PNG

what is that near the bottom? 

Unbenannt2.PNG

anti compensator when? i want quad 5450´s ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

26 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

it is nice to see a Indian here and Amazon is the biggest Noob (Atleast Shopclues got something right they messed my headphone order)Dell 7000 series is much better

I am not Indian. I just found this on 9Gag.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 hours ago, Scitesh said:

I can say OP3 With google carboard sucks (general observation)

Disclaimer : i own neither i borrowed them from a friend of mine

Ya, that's probably cuz while the green pixels are at 1080p the red and blue ones are... well... at 720p.

720p VR isn't fun :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just had this with my mom. I was trying to figure out when she had last restarted Chrome so I asked her when she last closed Chrome and she told me that she closes it all the time. After some troubleshooting, I found out that "Closes it all the time" means "My computer goes to sleep all the time".

Tales From The Help Desk

Me: Hello thank you for calling [Place I Work] what appears to be the issue?

Her: My printer isn't working right now, the issue started about 5 minutes ago.

Me: Were you using it and then it stopped or did it stop printing in the middle of your document?

Her: I went to use it because I'm working from my laptop right now as the desktop isn't working right now.

Me: *odd two items are down at the same time* May I ask why the desktop isn't working at the moment.
Her: It stopped working when the power went out.

Me: *Bangs head on desk (actually I wish I had)* And is the power still out?

Her: Yes, but I don't see how that's the issue.

Me: The reason your printer won't print is because it doesn't have any power.

Her: Not true I was told I could print wireless!

Me: Unfortunately in order for the printer to print it still requires power. Wireless just means that you don't need to be plugged into it.

If you have any further issues with it after your power comes back online I will be more than glad to assist you.

Never got a call back.

TL;DR Wireless printers apparently don't require power to work.

30 minutes ago, brenan999 said:

Wireless printers apparently don't require power to work.

"that usb dongle that came w/ the mouse? I threw that out , I thought the mouse was wireless"

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

"that usb dongle that came w/ the mouse? I threw that out , I thought the mouse was wireless"

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one I'd be able to retire I bet.

1 minute ago, brenan999 said:

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one I'd be able to retire I bet.

oh another one

"my phone isn't charging"
"is the docking station plugged in"
"yes"
"is the phone in it"
"why? I though it was a wireless one"

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

oh another one

"my phone isn't charging"
"is the docking station plugged in"
"yes"
"is the phone in it"
"why? I though it was a wireless one"

Wireless charging would really solve a lot of ignorance/stupidity.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Wireless charging would really solve a lot of ignorance/stupidity.

but cause people fear the "wifi sickness"

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

but cause people fear the "wifi sickness"

*sigh* True. Considering there are some people that are against solar panels because they steal light from the sun and may extinguish it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

*sigh* True. Considering there are some people that are against solar panels because they steal light from the sun and may extinguish it.

IT STEALS THE SUN FROM MUH PLANTS , LOOK AT ALL THE DEAD CROP

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

but I know the solution , SOLAR ROADWAYS , lets make the roads and pavement solar where its covered my dirt , covered my cars and driven on , instead of putting a roof over the parking-lot and fill that w/ solar panels , I mean flat solar panles covered by cars are so much more efficient by angled ones in direct sunlight

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

but I know the solution , SOLAR ROADWAYS , lets make the roads and pavement solar where its covered my dirt , covered my cars and driven on , instead of putting a roof over the parking-lot and fill that w/ solar panels , I mean flat solar panles covered by cars are so much more efficient by angled ones in direct sunlight

we don't have the technology to charge our cars while it's in the road

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

accurate image of how the rest of the class i am in thinks how to make OS's

1PY8LHC.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux