Experiences with non-techies

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

-snap-

I spent $1100 on building my PC and all i play is CS:GO at 1080p, watch anime at 720p and always ready to buy more hardware off the Swedish used market(if you have something for sale il gladly listen lol)

[yatzee crowshaw impression] sounds like meeeeeee

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

What would truly kill me is if I worked in a store that sells prebuilt office PCs. I couldn't bring myself to try to sell anyone a PC with an i7 in it if they're just editing Word documents, watching movies, or even doing light editing on photos like what the (now closing) Office Max nearby frequently tries to do.

Just now, Kavawuvi said:

What would truly kill me is if I worked in a store that sells prebuilt office PCs. I couldn't bring myself to try to sell anyone a PC with an i7 in it if they're just editing Word documents, watching movies, or even doing light editing on photos like what the (now closing) Office Max nearby frequently tries to do.

id work there just to get experiense with reparing and debugging PCs, but every sale would be like a mental shot in the foot lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

i would just sell em an I3 basic model , 8gb ram (maybe less) igpu or maybe a 710 (but skylake igpus are not bad at all) and done , make it nice and small aswell and boom 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Facebook be facebook again....

A discussion about 4k TVs.

Dude: "I own the Sony XXXXX 4k TV and combined with a 866mbit internet connection Netflix 4k Streaming is a dream!"

Me: "Ugh, where did you get a 866mbit connection?" -> Fastest consumer connection here is 400mbit

Dude:

NneQB07.jpg

Face -> Desk

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Face -> Desk

by that guys logic i shoud have gigabit internet

(im german and it hurts)

PSU Tier list

id work there just to get experiense with reparing and debugging PCs, but every sale would be like a mental shot in the foot lol

One of my friends was looking for a computer that he could maybe upgrade later to play some games. I recommended that he check the price of prebuilts, as he may be able to save some money by buying one of these if it's on clearance. You can get some pretty good deals from stores, this way. However, he first chose Office Max of all places, so... here's basically how it went:

Office Max Employee: Hello, welcome to Office Max. Can I help you with anything this evening?

Customer: Hello, I'd like to buy a computer.

O.M.E.: Sure thing. The computers are over there. Would you like help finding what you're looking for?

Customer: Sure. (he figured he'd get their help before consulting me... okay)

O.M.E.: *radio* Jane to computers. (I don't remember her name)

Jane: All right, so what do you plan on using the computer for?

Customer: I just need a computer for some basic office work, you know? Typing Word documents, checking email, and watching YouTube videos, mainly.

Jane: This computer in particular has a really fast Intel Core i7 processor and lots of RAM to run all of your programs, as well as the latest Windows 8.1 Pro. *points at $1200 Dell PC that has a Haswell i7 in it, 2 TB of storage, a DVD-RW, and... 6 GB of RAM... what the hell*

Jane: You'll probably want a printer, too. This wireless HP inkjet printer is currently on sale for just $40.

Customer: Um...

Jane: This computer does come with a three month subscription to Office 365, but I'm assuming you'll be buying Office afterwards, anyway. You can get Office Home & Student for $149.99, which you get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote, and you keep this forever, meaning you don't have to pay a renewal every year, or you can buy Office 365 for just $99.99 a year, which you get all of that, plus Outlook, Publisher, and Access, and another 1 TB of cloud storage. (because 2 TB wasn't enough, and there clearly isn't any cheaper way to get cloud storage, I suppose)

I didn't record this or anything, and it was about a year ago, so I might have left out some sort of dialog. Basically, though, she's trying to sell my friend a $700 PC (including a $70 OEM copy of Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit that you could likely get for even cheaper) for $1200 (plus tax), a $40 printer (which by the way has ink cartridges that cost $30 each), and a $100/year subscription to Office 365. After looking around a little bit, we walked out. They're closing now, which is unfortunate, but I only bought one thing from them once, and that was a stapler.

4 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

They're closing now, which is unfortunate, but I only bought one thing from them once, and that was a stapler.

sounds alot like my local tech store

overpriced everything , only thing good is thermal-paste (5 bucks for 4g of MX2 ) and cases (10 bucks for a used one) 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

One of my friends was looking for a computer that he could maybe upgrade later to play some games. I recommended that he check the price of prebuilts, as he may be able to save some money by buying one of these if it's on clearance. You can get some pretty good deals from stores, this way. However, he first chose Office Max of all places, so... here's basically how it went:

Office Max Employee: Hello, welcome to Office Max. Can I help you with anything this evening?

Customer: Hello, I'd like to buy a computer.

O.M.E.: Sure thing. The computers are over there. Would you like help finding what you're looking for?

Customer: Sure. (he figured he'd get their help before consulting me... okay)

O.M.E.: *radio* Jane to computers. (I don't remember her name)

Jane: All right, so what do you plan on using the computer for?

Customer: I just need a computer for some basic office work, you know? Typing Word documents, checking email, and watching YouTube videos, mainly.

Jane: This computer in particular has a really fast Intel Core i7 processor and lots of RAM to run all of your programs, as well as the latest Windows 8.1 Pro. *points at $1200 Dell PC that has a Haswell i7 in it, 2 TB of storage, a DVD-RW, and... 6 GB of RAM... what the hell*

Jane: You'll probably want a printer, too. This wireless HP inkjet printer is currently on sale for just $40.

Customer: Um...

Jane: This computer does come with a three month subscription to Office 365, but I'm assuming you'll be buying Office afterwards, anyway. You can get Office Home & Student for $149.99, which you get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote, and you keep this forever, meaning you don't have to pay a renewal every year, or you can buy Office 365 for just $99.99 a year, which you get all of that, plus Outlook, Publisher, and Access, and another 1 TB of cloud storage. (because 2 TB wasn't enough, and there clearly isn't any cheaper way to get cloud storage, I suppose)

I didn't record this or anything, and it was about a year ago, so I might have left out some sort of dialog. Basically, though, she's trying to sell my friend a $700 PC (including a $70 OEM copy of Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit that you could likely get for even cheaper) for $1200 (plus tax), a $40 printer (which by the way has ink cartridges that cost $30 each), and a $100/year subscription to Office 365. After looking around a little bit, we walked out. They're closing now, which is unfortunate, but I only bought one thing from them once, and that was a stapler.

14 year old me: i have alll this money now that iv worked my ass off all summer, i want something better then my laptop now for games!

*goes onlie to shop for computers*

*finds a site which to 14 year old me seemed resonable*

me: wow these sure are expensive, well il just get an as good one as i can for $800 off of here, seems like a good place.

*proceeds to find there "GAMEING 6-CORE EXTREME" computer for $750*

*retailers claim maxed out 1080p in BF3 60fps easaly, claim its an "extreme gaming machine for the people who demand only the best"*

*i use the configurator to add an SSD for $50(60GB) and goes to buy it, add in the notes i want the included temperature sensor from the case to be near the CPU*

*gets email from the site a few hours later*

"we see that you have ordered a "GAMEING 6-CORE EXTREME" from us but the case we used has stoped beeing produced and we have none in stock, we can put it in either a Zalman GT1000 that we use for the "GAMEING QUAD CORE SUPER" instead or the case we use for the "INTEL HYPER EXTREME" but that will cost more"

*thinks that going with the case from the worse computer might make it a tad cheaper so i go for it*

*get email back*

"Ok we see that you have gone for the GT 1000, that will be an anditional $10 and shipping"

*freaks out compleatly and somehome makes my mom pay for the shipping of $60 extra*

*gets computer a frew weeks later*

*its not the color i thought it would be, but i dont care about that, i had a new computer to play games on at maxed out settings!*

*starts it, installs Steam and downloads CS:GO*

*gets into the game, crank the settings*

*loads up de_Dust2*

*5fps max, avrage of about 2fps*

*turn down settings untill i get a decent framerate*

*now on medium and low settings*

*still just over 60fps*

*checks the specs of the machine*

FX 6300 black edition

MSI GTX 750TI OC

500w crapy PSU

1x8GB DDR3 1866MHz

super shitty motherboard so i cant overclock

the extreme cooling i selected is basicallly the fucking intel stock heatsink strapped on an AMD motherboard

*contact the site about the poor preformance*

there response: "we dont think people will need more gameing preformance then this, it is quite a powerfull PC and most people will never use it to its limits. if you didnt recive the preformance you expected we are sorry to hear so, you should have gone for a higher end model if you needed more preformance."

and then i used that pice of garbage that i spend $800 on for a year then workled my ass of the next summer to affort what i use today. an I5 4690K, ASRock Z97 anneversairy and a GTX 970 and that cost me LESS THEN I PAIED FOR THE CRAP BOX PREBUILT. doing that upgrade is also when i joined the LTT forums, i made like 10 threads about my parts list and what was the best overclocking GTX 970 and i ended up with the Gigabyte G1 because people said it was the best. 74% ASIC quality and overclocks like shit.... well im glad i had that chapter of my life because it taught me to shout at all my friends NOT TO BUY PREBUILTS and too ask me before they got a new computer, which half a year later two didnt and they spent $700 each on quadcore versions of what i had gotten...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

overpriced everything , only thing good is thermal-paste (5 bucks for 4g of MX2 ) and cases (10 bucks for a used one) 

damn i would love a few cases for $10, i need another two so i can sell of the LAN PCs that i dont use anymore lol. there is like nothing where i live because screw northern Sweden i guess

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

damn i would love a few cases for $10, i need another two so i can sell of the LAN PCs that i dont use anymore lol. there is like nothing where i live because screw northern Sweden i guess

craigslist man , or landfills

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

craigslist man , or landfills

cant buy them from the landfill becuse you just cant where i live for some reason and craigslist has no cases in my area, like ever. only full PCs with shitty hardware for $100, like P4s or C2Ds with Geforce 6600s for $100...

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

like P4s or C2Ds with Geforce 6600s for $100...

ow ,  i feel for ya , maybe i can organize you some cases :P 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you just stay active on the local used market scens will sell, got a 22" 1080p screen for $20 less then a week ago :D 

Just hope i get my hands on such a deal

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Some of the biggest tech tubers  have their roots  in that trade  so if you find a job hit me up

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

I.have bought those card they should be awarded the best bang for buck('coz I got one for free) ended up cutting my arm and had to pay for first Asus and TT shots

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

14 year old me: i have alll this money now that iv worked my ass off all summer, i want something better then my laptop now for games!

*goes onlie to shop for computers*

*finds a site which to 14 year old me seemed resonable*

me: wow these sure are expensive, well il just get an as good one as i can for $800 off of here, seems like a good place.

*proceeds to find there "GAMEING 6-CORE EXTREME" computer for $750*

*retailers claim maxed out 1080p in BF3 60fps easaly, claim its an "extreme gaming machine for the people who demand only the best"*

*i use the configurator to add an SSD for $50(60GB) and goes to buy it, add in the notes i want the included temperature sensor from the case to be near the CPU*

*gets email from the site a few hours later*

"we see that you have ordered a "GAMEING 6-CORE EXTREME" from us but the case we used has stoped beeing produced and we have none in stock, we can put it in either a Zalman GT1000 that we use for the "GAMEING QUAD CORE SUPER" instead or the case we use for the "INTEL HYPER EXTREME" but that will cost more"

*thinks that going with the case from the worse computer might make it a tad cheaper so i go for it*

*get email back*

"Ok we see that you have gone for the GT 1000, that will be an anditional $10 and shipping"

*freaks out compleatly and somehome makes my mom pay for the shipping of $60 extra*

*gets computer a frew weeks later*

*its not the color i thought it would be, but i dont care about that, i had a new computer to play games on at maxed out settings!*

*starts it, installs Steam and downloads CS:GO*

*gets into the game, crank the settings*

*loads up de_Dust2*

*5fps max, avrage of about 2fps*

*turn down settings untill i get a decent framerate*

*now on medium and low settings*

*still just over 60fps*

*checks the specs of the machine*

FX 6300 black edition

MSI GTX 750TI OC

500w crapy PSU

1x8GB DDR3 1866MHz

super shitty motherboard so i cant overclock

the extreme cooling i selected is basicallly the fucking intel stock heatsink strapped on an AMD motherboard

*contact the site about the poor preformance*

there response: "we dont think people will need more gameing preformance then this, it is quite a powerfull PC and most people will never use it to its limits. if you didnt recive the preformance you expected we are sorry to hear so, you should have gone for a higher end model if you needed more preformance."

and then i used that pice of garbage that i spend $800 on for a year then workled my ass of the next summer to affort what i use today. an I5 4690K, ASRock Z97 anneversairy and a GTX 970 and that cost me LESS THEN I PAIED FOR THE CRAP BOX PREBUILT. doing that upgrade is also when i joined the LTT forums, i made like 10 threads about my parts list and what was the best overclocking GTX 970 and i ended up with the Gigabyte G1 because people said it was the best. 74% ASIC quality and overclocks like shit.... well im glad i had that chapter of my life because it taught me to shout at all my friends NOT TO BUY PREBUILTS and too ask me before they got a new computer, which half a year later two didnt and they spent $700 each on quadcore versions of what i had gotten...

With prebuilts  you are playing a silicon lottery  so  read the specs 

Also  you could earn$800  overt a  summer my parents wouldn't even let me take up internships( current age:19)

9 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

ow ,  i feel for ya , maybe i can organize you some cases :P 

lol shipping will probably be expensive as all hell but who knows, maybe Sweden will be fine seeing as you are within the EU? lol

8 hours ago, Scitesh said:

I.have bought those card they should be awarded the best bang for buck('coz I got one for free) ended up cutting my arm and had to pay for first Asus and TT shots

With prebuilts  you are playing a silicon lottery  so  read the specs 

Also  you could earn$800  overt a  summer my parents wouldn't even let me take up internships( current age:19)

i really worked my ass off all summer, 6 days a week 09:00-14:00 all summer at a circus lol

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

lol shipping will probably be expensive as all hell but who knows, maybe Sweden will be fine seeing as you are within the EU? lol

seems okay (bis = up to)

Unbenannt.png

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

seems okay (bis = up to)

Unbenannt.png

thats pretty good shipping prices :o did not expect that to be honest

Builds:

Spoiler

thats pretty good shipping prices :o did not expect that to be honest

dhl magic

PSU Tier list

On November 4, 2016 at 4:32 PM, BurgerBum said:

I can have that many tabs open in my firefox session.
not all of them 'loaded', but they're in my tab tree for quick access.

Ignore the bit of WoW on the right there, lol. also ignore my windows looking like old xp. can't teach an old bunny new tricks. >_>

most of those tabs aren't loaded. they're just ready to be opened. its actually pretty effecient for browsing imho.

You can teach bunnies tricks, maybe actually idk, but if you could they'd just hope along and go on being super adorable.  ?

I miss XP and my games working 99% of the time without any trouble.  

On November 7, 2016 at 3:04 PM, themctipers said:

Nice iPad 

-

my friends legendary computer (he previously duct taped that funnel shut

also my friend is watching high quality 720p YouTube videos on a 4K tv

Why is there a funnel on the CPU cooler?  O_o

On November 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Railgun said:

I went to Bestbuy a few times and asked around for a good power supply for my high end computer. One day I get a guy who clearly knows what he's doing. Another day I get a guy who says it doesn't really matter which power supply you get as long as it can push out the proper amount of wattage, you should just get the cheapest one.

It's very unlikely that anyone at Best Buy knows what they're talking about.  Also if my local best buys are any indication they don't stock high quality computer parts. Just bomb quality PSUs and reference model GPUs mostly.  Maybe a few AIB GPUs but just stuff like a basic SC model EVGA cards.  

You're better off buying from Newegg, Amazon, or possibly Microcenter if you're lucky enough to live near one.  

BWlSouO.png

Atom and under Intel graphics laptop for 700€? Yeah, i want THAT quality price!

To be fair, the actual store which is not online has much cheaper prices.

I think the same store here actually gave me a offer but i didn't know about it for a skylake motherboard and a i7 for less than 150$. And that was new.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, 1shanghai said:

LOL, teacher just told us the admin account name and password so we can install any program we want now. LOL

install bonzi buddy

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux