Multitasking Issues

Something I have run across after upgrading my setup is multitasking issues.

Currently running two YT videos at the same time takes around 5 minutes before they both work without buffering (I have gigabit internet that works just fine and have gone to other friend's houses where they don't have this issue yet it still happens). Other issues include heavy stuttering in game if I try to have a YT video or stream on my second monitor while gaming. Once I close the YT video it instantly fixes itself as if nothing was happening.

Before this I ran an i7-9700k, a 1060 6gb and 16GB of RAM but this was never an issue. After switching to my RX 6700XT and Ryzen 5 5600X3D and increasing RAM to 32GB this has become an issue. It has been happening for a year now and I am starting to become slightly frustrated.

Even esports titles such as Valorant struggle with micro stuttering if a video starts in the background. Has anyone else had this issue or know of possible fixes? There is no overclocking on anything and I even took off XMP profiles. The only thing I could think of that becomes an issue is that my RAM is mixed with two different sets. However, this doesn't cause any issue unless something starts up in the background.

Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Lil-Dabbie said:

Other issues include heavy stuttering in game if I try to have a YT video or stream on my second monitor while gaming

I have this problem. It specifically occurs when anything on the second monitor is at 60 fps. If I reduce the video quality to force it to 30fps playback, and also put the video in theater mode or full screen, it goes away.

This is related to a driver issue that's not actually common but in my searching, I have never seen a solution. One possible  solution that seems to work for some folks is disabling hardware acceleration in the browser settings. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Is this on a fresh Windows install on the new machine?

I did a fresh install of Windows after the upgrade. So, yes.

56 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I have this problem. It specifically occurs when anything on the second monitor is at 60 fps. If I reduce the video quality to force it to 30fps playback, and also put the video in theater mode or full screen, it goes away.

This is related to a driver issue that's not actually common but in my searching, I have never seen a solution. One possible  solution that seems to work for some folks is disabling hardware acceleration in the browser settings. 

I have gone through multiple drivers from AMD though so it should have been fixed by now right? I did attempt disabling hardware acceleration in the browser as well.

17 minutes ago, Lil-Dabbie said:

I did a fresh install of Windows after the upgrade. So, yes.

What OS are you using and what type of hard drive is the OS on?

And also regarding this:

1 hour ago, Lil-Dabbie said:

The only thing I could think of that becomes an issue is that my RAM is mixed with two different sets. 

This is never good to see. Are you on the newest BIOS for your motherboard. Could assist with stability.

Lastly, have you tried taking out one of the mixed sets and leaving one of the same pairs in there; to test if the problem persists?

2 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

What OS are you using and what type of hard drive is the OS on?

And also regarding this:

This is never good to see. Are you on the newest BIOS for your motherboard. Could assist with stability.

Lastly, have you tried taking out one of the mixed sets and leaving one of the same pairs in there; to test if the problem persists?

I am on Windows 10 which is on a 500GB 970 EVO from Samsung. As for taking out RAM I have not tried yet but it never causes any problems when I am only in game or have other programs in the background. Motherboard is fully flashed and up to date.

I am on Windows 10 which is on a 500GB 970 EVO from Samsung. As for taking out RAM I have not tried yet but it never causes any problems when I am only in game or have other programs in the background. Motherboard is fully flashed and up to date.

I highly recommend Windows 11 with Game Mode and Game Bar activated/enabled. This might make a real difference to be honest. It's almost a requirement with X3D chips because of how it handles the scheduling.

If you haven't tried one kit at a time, I also recommend that additionally. Things could be acting strange for this very reason.

Great to hear motherboard is fully updated. Do you have the newest chipset driver installed for it?

Do you still have your 1060?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I highly recommend Windows 11 with Game Mode and Game Bar activated/enabled. This might make a real difference to be honest. It's almost a requirement with X3D chips because of how it handles the scheduling.

If you haven't tried one kit at a time, I also recommend that additionally. Things could be acting strange for this very reason.

Great to hear motherboard is fully updated. Do you have the newest chipset driver installed for it?

Once I get a chance I may upgrade to Windows 11, I just heard it wasn't as good performance wise. I will also try removing a kit to see if anything changes at some point and yes I believe I have the newest chipset driver as I let the armory or whatever it's called do all updates when I first got it.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you still have your 1060?

I do not, it was sold with my cpu and motherboard.

8 minutes ago, Lil-Dabbie said:

Once I get a chance I may upgrade to Windows 11, I just heard it wasn't as good performance wise. I will also try removing a kit to see if anything changes at some point and yes I believe I have the newest chipset driver as I let the armory or whatever it's called do all updates when I first got it.

IMHO, Windows 11 is one of the best operating systems since Windows 2000/NT. Once you get done disabling all the data mining, ads, and tune it at least; it's really a wonderful OS. My rant aside though, performance wise with an X3D chip, you should see an improvement because of the way the X3D chips are designed. To my knowledge this is recommended in the 3D V-Cache community.

Great to hear you will attempt testing out the different kits of memory separately at some point.

As far as having the newest chipset driver, that's recommended highly, so I would try to confirm that. But one thing that I noticed is you say you have ASUS Armoury Crate installed (meaning it's probably running in the background) and as far as I'm aware (this is coming from ASUS Enthusiasts themselves): uninstalling Armoury Crate is probably necessary at this point since its considered bloatware and a rootkit, practically. You can hear many people saying this causes performance issues, might want to look at uninstalling that sooner than later. I believe it might even be a tedious process, TBH. Plus, it could be what's causing the performance issues. So, another thing to mark off the troubleshooting checklist. 

Finally, look and see if there are any Firmware updates for your Samsung Drive. Should be pretty easy to check and update with Samsung's Software. I believe there was a slowdown bug not too long ago with Samsung, I know it was drive specific, but you never know. 

IMHO, Windows 11 is one of the best operating systems since Windows 2000/NT. Once you get done disabling all the data mining, ads, and tune it at least; it's really a wonderful OS. My rant aside though, performance wise with an X3D chip, you should see an improvement because of the way the X3D chips are designed. To my knowledge this is recommended in the 3D V-Cache community.

Great to hear you will attempt testing out the different kits of memory separately at some point.

As far as having the newest chipset driver, that's recommended highly, so I would try to confirm that. But one thing that I noticed is you say you have ASUS Armoury Crate installed (meaning it's probably running in the background) and as far as I'm aware (this is coming from ASUS Enthusiasts themselves): uninstalling Armoury Crate is probably necessary at this point since its considered bloatware and a rootkit, practically. You can hear many people saying this causes performance issues, might want to look at uninstalling that sooner than later. I believe it might even be a tedious process, TBH. Plus, it could be what's causing the performance issues. So, another thing to mark off the troubleshooting checklist. 

Finally, look and see if there are any Firmware updates for your Samsung Drive. Should be pretty easy to check and update with Samsung's Software. I believe there was a slowdown bug not too long ago with Samsung, I know it was drive specific, but you never know. 

I will have to reinstall Armory Crate as I did uninstall it after updating everything (Most things don't have many updates over the years that require armory crate or other alternatives from what I have seen). Also, I didn't even know that drives could have firmware updates, I will check on that.

I will have to reinstall Armory Crate as I did uninstall it after updating everything (Most things don't have many updates over the years that require armory crate or other alternatives from what I have seen). Also, I didn't even know that drives could have firmware updates, I will check on that.

Do you have PBO enabled? Curve Optimizer Enabled? 

What is your Cinebench R23 Score with this stuff enabled and disabled?

You should be scoring around or over 11,000 in Multi-Core.

1,400 in Single-Core.

11 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

yes - but does op have 2 monitors?  didn't see it. me i can run several videos in background there won't be an issue as long enough ram is available for example. 

i do believe OPs issue is likely due to the mixed ram and maybe other problematic bios settings or such.

3 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

IMHO, Windows 11 is one of the best operating systems since Windows 2000/NT. Once you get done disabling all the data mining, ads, and tune it at least; it's really a wonderful OS.

this is such a strange take though... 

3 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

My rant aside though, performance wise with an X3D chip, you should see an improvement because of the way the X3D chips are designed. To my knowledge this is recommended in the 3D V-Cache community.

never heard of this, and frankly wouldn't listen to a "vcache community" either,  fact is there are zero issues on win 10 for me with 5800x3D (which is the os it was designed with in mind btw at the time)

id only "upgrade" as a last resort and certainly would first make sure its not a ram problem by using only a certified kit that's on the QVL 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is such a strange take though... 

Honestly, I sort of have fond memories related to that OS: playing solid titles like Dune 2000, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo (II). It really reminds me of it, under the hood.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

never heard of this, and frankly wouldn't listen to a "vcache community" either,  fact is there are zero issues on win 10 for me with 5800x3D (which is the os it was designed with in mind btw at the time)

id only "upgrade" as a last resort and certainly would first make sure its not a ram problem by using only a certified kit that's on the QVL 

I figured the improved scheduler might have better features available with Windows 11:

In previous examples of a 2 x CCD Ryzen 7000 chip, specifically when we reviewed the Ryzen 9 7950X3D, not all of the cores across both CCDs were utilized. When 'Game Mode' is enabled within Windows and a game is loaded, AMD's drivers are designed to detect that a game is in use, triggering the OS to park the CCD without the 3D V-Cache and place all of the load onto the CCD with 96 MB of L3 cache. The two drivers in AMD's arsenal are the 'PPM Provisioning file driver' and the '3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer driver'. These are both designed to work in tandem with Microsoft's Game Mode to effectively detect when a game is running and when one isn't.

AMD Announces Ryzen 9 7945HX3D: Ryzen Mobile Gets 3D V-Cache (anandtech.com)

Figured there might be optimizations in place (for other AMD 3D V-Cache chips as well). Perhaps I was wrong. 

6 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

figured the improved scheduler might have better features available with Windows 11

i think that's for intel... they try it for amd too obviously but it doesn't seem to be actually an improvement over w10 afaik.

i mean i don't have a problem when someone likes 11 more than 10, but 11 isnt mature yet and all these tpm requirements and whatnot dont gel well with me either. 

6 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Honestly, I sort of have fond memories related to that OS: playing solid titles like Dune 2000, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo (II). It really reminds me of it, under the hood.

oh i thought you meant 11, yeah older windows had their charm,  me i have fond memories of 95/98, xp and vista (i really liked vista and had zero problems with it)

10 is kinda the continuation of that, 11 seems a complete departure, especially ui wise.

i have a laptop that still has the w10 anniversary edition installed , the GOAT imho... its snappy even on that old thing, it has all the features I'd want... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i think that's for intel... they try it for amd too obviously but it doesn't seem to be actually an improvement over w10 afaik.

i mean i don't have a problem when someone likes 11 more than 10, but 11 isnt mature yet and all these tpm requirements and whatnot dont gel well with me either.  

Here are some comments on how the scheduler may also affect X3D variants, not just 12th Gen or newer Intel:

"All in all I wish AMD’s scheduler and Windows implementation were more polished to take the guess work out of the user. Intel has done it right with P and E cores. We don’t see nonsense micro-stutter there and games don’t try to start and crunch on E cores"

"Windows doesn't have a mechanism to determine which programs/games benefit from the additional cache so it ends up migrating threads between arbitrary cores. The solution short term was to just disable the CCD without the cache so that all available cores have the same performance."

"AMD does not write Microsoft's scheduler. It's not their fault, just like it wasn't intel's fault when their E cores and P cores weren't being used properly at launch. That's a tad easier for MS to fix though, sadly with X3D it's not as simple as 'fast core/slow core' because that depends on the workload whereas it does not with E/P core."

"I chose to start by going windows game bar + auto scheduler and eventually switch to process lasso. Got a second screen where I keep task manager opened, as soon as I open any game so far it has only been running on 3d v-cache cores, and the other ones still run for background tasks (very low usage, but not 0). So my takeaways are:

• Windows 11 scheduler has worked flawlessly for me, so far I haven't felt the need to switch to Process Lasso
  • Core park apparently puts unused cores in low-power mode (noticed that on hwinfo) but does not turn them off"

"The 'worst-case scenario' is that a program gets scheduled on the wrong cluster, though. So you lose like 10% worst-case if the scheduler fucks up and just completely does the wrong thing. Like yeah I agree it’s not ideal but it’s not catastrophic either."

"Introducing a heterogenous cache architecture is a new beast entirely, and it will take a decent amount R&D to develop a scheduler that can load balance and provide fair share of resources. intel's thread director which provides data metrics on threads can give scheduler hints to improve performance, but these AMD chips will probably require scheduling to all be done in the OS side."

"Another significant Windows 11 feature is it's improved CPU scheduler. For example, on the top-end Intel chips (that combine fast P cores and slow E cores), the Windows 11 scheduler is critical in making sure that the correct tasks get assigned to the P cores instead of the much slower E cores. On the dual-CCD X3D AMD CPUs (where only one of the two CCDs has 3D cache) the improved scheduler is critical in making sure that programs that benefit from 3D cache get assigned to the 3D cache CCD, and programs that benefit most from raw CPU frequency get assigned to the other."

"One thing AMD have mentioned an awful lot in their press literature is the need to update the chipset drivers to ensure that the X3D processors are working flawlessly with Windows 11. Windows 10 is supported but naturally the newer scheduling is superior on the latest Microsoft OS, even if everything else about it is a dumpster fire of obfuscation."

"The new scheduler update could also help alleviate CCD-related performance problems that have seemingly been plaguing AMD Ryzen CPUs".

Obviously, there are those that say it's not a requirement or a necessity, as you mention with your own experience. But those who say it could provide additional benefits over Windows 10's scheduler implementation. It also could be isolated to the larger X3D versions of the chip like 7900X3D and 7950X3D. However, it was noted a few times that AMD was having scheduling issues with Zen4 originally and Windows had a better implementation on 11 anyway (as mentioned in the last quote).

I agree that Windows 11 isn't as mature as Windows 10, but after using it for 2 years, I can safely say. From a reliability and stability standpoint: it's no more or less stable than Windows 10. I do get that with many people the strict requirements needed to run the OS are kind of annoying. However, using something like Rufus can help mitigate many of these issues. 

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

oh i thought you meant 11, yeah older windows had their charm,  me i have fond memories of 95/98, xp and vista (i really liked vista and had zero problems with it)

10 is kinda the continuation of that, 11 seems a complete departure, especially ui wise.

i have a laptop that still has the w10 anniversary edition installed , the GOAT imho... its snappy even on that old thing, it has all the features I'd want... 

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I was speaking of Windows 11 reminding me of Windows 2000 after you modify Windows 11 to your liking. Surprising to hear you liked Vista, for many, that's equivalent to liking Windows ME 😁.

For me I feel Windows 11 is sort of like a stopgap between Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I actually didn't install Windows XP until SP1/SP2. That's around the time when it started to become well-regarded. Therefore, I had ample time with Windows 2000. 

Windows 11 did do a complete redesign with the UI, but it was like the evolution from XP to Windows 7, IMO. It takes some time getting used to, but once you get the hang of it. Tasks do become easier to execute, IMO.

Windows 10 will definitely go down in history as one of the best operating systems though. I was able to install W10 Pro on an old laptop as well, and it really revitalized the whole machine. Even though it was ancient.

Surprising to hear you liked Vista

yeah, i know, but after doing some research it seems people mostly had issues with stability and compatibility, which is understandable why they thought it was bad... but upon further research many didn't have pcs that actually fulfilled the requirements, ie not enough ram for example. 

me 1st thing i did was buy an additional 1gig and and Ati graphics card (x1950gt) and literally barely had any issues... been running this setup until 2017! 😛

Windows 10 will definitely go down in history as one of the best operating systems though. I was able to install W10 Pro on an old laptop as well, and it really revitalized the whole machine. Even though it was ancient.

yeah w10 is just really versatile, runs fine on machines it shouldn't even run ... is hella stable (if your ram isn't crashing constantly lol)

idk and frankly also don't care about the scheduler thing, seems mostly like snakeoil to say "please upgrade we improved thingy"... but as said 5800x3D runs perfectly fine on w10 and i honestly doubt there's a real performance jump on w11. also i really hate the ui... I'll ride this out until w12 comes out simply - been there,  done that (never had w7 or w8 for similar reasons) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, i know, but after doing some research it seems people mostly had issues with stability and compatibility, which is understandable why they thought it was bad... but upon further research many didn't have pcs that actually fulfilled the requirements, ie not enough ram for example. 

me 1st thing i did was buy an additional 1gig and and Ati graphics card (x1950gt) and literally barely had any issues... been running this setup until 2017! 😛

Sounds sort of like a mirror to what's going on today with Windows 11 having stricter hardware requirements as well. I believe with Vista, that was the introduction of Windows Aero. So, it makes sense that there were higher requirements.  

That's extraordinary that you had it running until 2017, when was the build's inception? ATi is OG, I've had computers growing up with basically every All-in-Wonder card since 1996.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah w10 is just really versatile, runs fine on machines it shouldn't even run ... is hella stable (if your ram isn't crashing constantly lol)

idk and frankly also don't care about the scheduler thing, seems mostly like snakeoil to say "please upgrade we improved thingy"... but as said 5800x3D runs perfectly fine on w10 and i honestly doubt there's a real performance jump on w11. also i really hate the ui... I'll ride this out until w12 comes out simply - been there,  done that (never had w7 or w8 for similar reasons) 

I actually still have a CD-Rom on hand for Windows 10 Pro, not just on a thumb drive. It's a really great Windows alternative (if you can't run Linux) for sluggish or retro-ish machines (very versatile). Not sure if I ever had problems in regards to ram stability with it however, probably because I've been running 16GB or more since 2011. Hopefully, that extends onward into the future. On much older machines though, it can become an issue, regarding the ram (I've noticed too).

Well, it's unfortunate I couldn't get you on the scheduler bandwagon 😆. But maybe this will work (found this interesting article that explains how Windows 11 was built around having a better thread director and scheduler compared to previous iterations):

Thread Director: Windows 11 Does It Best - (anandtech.com)

While you are correct that many people don't always see an improvement in performance by switching or upgrading from 10 to 11 (in raw or average framerates). There are some claims that it can assist with better frame times due to the way the OS interacts with the cores/threads and Game Mode/Game Bar. This would and sometimes can provide better 1% and 0.1% lows (or higher minimums). Making the games feel more fluid. Whether or not this has been tested enough yet to be factual, is still up in the air, however anecdotally it seems to be promising (through reading the comments on various forums, including Reddit). Although, if you are saying your 5800x3D is running fine with 10, and if you can ride it out until 12, then good for you. However, careful, because I think support ends for Win 10 in 2025 (not sure if that's actually been confirmed yet or not or to what extent). Be wary though, because I believe Windows 12 might be developed as a Cellular phone operating system first. 😑

While I'm not sure calling it snakeoil is truly necessary, I understand your skepticism. But two sources from Anandtech.com do believe it could be something. In spite of that, some of the best Tech Tuber's in the business still use Windows 10 as a daily driver. However, I have been noticing LTT and JayzTwoCents using Windows 11 more frequently in videos. Maybe it's becoming more stable to use more often, due to the many updates and patches it receives. 

Anyway, if you ever get the chance, load Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) on a VM and play Dune 2000. It's a symphony of 'turn of the century' technology:

Windows_2000_logo_svg.thumb.png.ea49cf845dd4c32c3c0e5f8fac740a8d.png

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.134b6433378f566c3c9d42689b018292.jpg

5 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

when was the build's inception

2007 iirc.

i do remember it had like twice the amount of ram (depending on how you count it) than my ps3 and it did ran literally circles around said console lol (tested with several otherwise identical games such as need for speed carbon...)

ATi is OG

yes there were no amd dgpus at that time afaik, also had one if not the first amd "dual core" cpu 🙂

eventually the motherboard started dying so i got a new pc with an 2200g and eventually a 1050ti 😉

still using that pc today (slightly upgraded lmao)

Anyway, if you ever get the chance, load Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) on a VM and play Dune 2000. It's a symphony of 'turn of the century' technology:

would it run on win98? i happen to have a fully functioning pentium1 pc with still all its original parts with win98 installed.  🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

2007 iirc.

i do remember it had like twice the amount of ram (depending on how you count it) than my ps3 and it did ran literally circles around said console lol (tested with several otherwise identical games such as need for speed carbon...)

What a run that rig had! 

Around that time (the mid 2000's) was when performance on the PC side began to pick up again (because of dual and quad cores). There was still decent competition between consoles and PCs though. I found myself using consoles just as much as my PC or Laptop then. Now you couldn't find a console in my house for the past 13 years 🙃. NFS is a staple car game to play and have. I was a fan of the Midnight Club series too.

yes there were no amd dgpus at that time afaik, also had one if not the first amd "dual core" cpu 🙂

eventually the motherboard started dying so i got a new pc with an 2200g and eventually a 1050ti 😉

still using that pc today (slightly upgraded lmao)

If I'm correct, AMD acquired ATi in July 2006; they released their first GPU in May of 2007 with the HD 2000 series. My AMD 64 Socket 754 System lasted many years, from 2004-2011 (I parted it out completely by 2012). Was that first AMD dual core you're speaking of the Athlon X2?

You made the jump from an X2 to a 2200g? That was probably a huge jump in performance. What was the transition GPU wise, you went from the X1950GT, to the 1050 Ti?

It's nice when PCs can get that much life out of them. I dismantled my Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge rig in December 2023. That machine ran fine for almost 11 years. Still does, except the 3770k was delidded with LM, and the IHS finally fell off.

would it run on win98? i happen to have a fully functioning pentium1 pc with still all its original parts with win98 installed.  🙂

It should definitely run on Windows 98. Additionally, I would say with your Pentium, it's probably still period correct for that game. 👍