Productivity mouse, no software

porina
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,

Even though it fails some of OP’s criteria, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Logitech G103/203 mouse.

I was a diehard Intellimouse fan for its simplicity, and then I moved on to Razer Deathadder but switched away due to multiple failures, moved to Zowie FK but switched due to rubber coating issues and very loud clicks, and now I’m happily on G103/203.

They unfortunately have RGB, although either the RGB on mine have died or my Samsung Neo G8 USB hub -> Ugreen KVM is not supplying enough power.

I’ve cycled through around 5 through multiple workstations and work places and I have never encountered any issues.

The DPI switch is helpful when juggling between different monitor resolutions and devices.

G103/203 is easily my forever mouse and have been happy with them for the last ~6 years.

7 hours ago, porina said:

Are there any other manufacturers other than Logitech? I'm struggling to think of a non-gaming brand.

To be fair, Logitech was a very, very good peripherals company first. They became a gaming peripherals company in the last decade because it’s the logical next step for making more-advanced peripherals and more $$.

Marketing only to office workers is a total waste for high-polling rate, low lift off distance, perfect sensor tracking, etc.

As subject really. I need a good mouse for productivity uses. I'd really like one that does not need software at all in any way so that probably rules out most gaming mice. Pure plug and play work. No RGB.

Mouse style, something similar to Logitech G503/G703 or Razer Deathadder. For older people, the old MS Intellimouse. Only buttons I need are: left, right, clickable wheel, back where the thumb would be. Wired is fine. Must have good tracking abilities.

I've seen on Logitech you can configure mice to save profiles and uninstall software but I'd even like to avoid that, and I've had double click problems with many of their mice.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have an MX Master 3 for work but I really want to get an MX Ergo and give my wrist a break. 

Hmm... while I said no software, they do seem to still have configuration software. Is it different enough from the gaming software?

I still think ideally I'd like something that does not have any software whatsoever. BTW I'd prefer corded mice.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't have any software for my MX Master 3. I'm sure you could install some, but not doing so doesn't prevent the use of the mouse.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I don't have any software for my MX Master 3. I'm sure you could install some, but not doing so doesn't prevent the use of the mouse.

Their site says it can be configured by whatever Logi Options+ is, which I guess is going to be different from whatever the gaming one is. Ok, I guess the question then is, what customisation does it have? Basically I just want my mouse to be in the right setting and that's it. Software is a total waste of time. For example, I find DPI or similar mode switches are pure evil so have to be mapped out on gaming mice. Then if I ever move PC I have to go through all that software again. Hence ideally I don't want any software configuration at all on a mouse.

MX Master 3 doesn't look like the form factor I'm after either. I want a more typical long blob shaped mouse because I will switch between it and gaming systems so want it to be somewhat similar.

1 minute ago, porina said:

MX Master 3 doesn't look like the form factor I'm after either. I want a more typical long blob shaped mouse because I will switch between it and gaming systems so want it to be somewhat similar.

Definitely don't want to game on an MX Master. 125Hz polling rate and you can tell. So nix that immediately. 

1 minute ago, porina said:

heir site says it can be configured by whatever Logi Options+ is, which I guess is going to be different from whatever the gaming one is. Ok, I guess the question then is, what customisation does it have? Basically I just want my mouse to be in the right setting and that's it. Software is a total waste of time. For example, I find DPI or similar mode switches are pure evil so have to be mapped out on gaming mice. Then if I ever move PC I have to go through all that software again. Hence ideally I don't want any software configuration at all on a mouse.

OK, I am a bit confused here. So you don't want to install software, yet you still want to configure all the aspects of the mouse? How do you suppose would that work?

Stuff like a G502 needs at least software to configure it, then you can load the parameters on the mouse and it should work without it.

either way: you want configuration, you need software afaik.

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Definitely don't want to game on an MX Master. 125Hz polling rate and you can tell. So nix that immediately. 

Maybe I wasn't clear. I need a mouse for productivity system. I have existing gaming systems with existing mice. I want productivity mouse to be similar form factor to my existing gaming mice as listed in OP.

Off topic but it is my thread: For my gaming, I'm fine with 125 Hz polling rate. I have to turn gaming mice down to 250 Hz absolute maximum as one game I play chokes (drop fps) at high polling rates. Higher polling rate, worse it gets. I've seen reports of it happening to other people in other games too. It might be ok for whatever esport is the choice of the day but I don't do those.

1 minute ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

OK, I am a bit confused here. So you don't want to install software, yet you still want to configure all the aspects of the mouse? How do you suppose would that work?

I don't want to configure a mouse at all. I only do so because gaming mice have too many things I don't need or want.

All I want is:

• Good pointer tracking
  • LMB, RMB, wheel/MMB(?), back button. If forward is present that is ok but I don't use it.

Should not have:

• Any form of DPI switching
  • RGB
  • Macro stuff
  • Polling rate selection

1 minute ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Stuff like a G502 needs at least software to configure it, then you can load the parameters on the mouse and it should work without it.

I am aware of that feature having owned many Logitech gaming mice, but it is unreliable especially when moving it between systems. Sometimes it just decides to forget it and I have to re-apply it in software.

I'll just say it now. No Logitech mice at all. I've had doubleclick problems with more than one of them after warranty. It seems to be a common problem and I don't want another one.

Just now, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

So here

I was looking at this earlier! No back button on the Amazon Basics. 

I think the takeaway seems to be there are no mid range productivity mice that I'm looking for. There's low end/priced stuff that's essentially what I have now as a temporary solution. Higher end stuff then tries to get smart and software returns.

I know it was like 20 years ago but I wish MS still made the Intellimouse. I still have two somewhere which I'd use if the wheel rubber hadn't degraded.

Just now, porina said:

Higher end stuff then tries to get smart and software returns.

OK, I know you made yourself clear, but I still can't understand it: you don't need the software to be installed or running at all. Just plug in the mouse and ignore the extra functionality from software etc. Even things like DPI buttons are usually far out of the way and can be ignored.

It would greatly increase the amount of options you'd have.

19 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Just plug in the mouse and ignore the extra functionality from software etc.

Maybe it works for productivity mice, which I've not considered recently. For sure I can't get away with that for most gaming mice.

Even things like DPI buttons are usually far out of the way and can be ignored.

A common location is just below the scroll wheel and I do hit it occasionally so they do need disabling. It might be useful for some gamer somewhere, but it isn't for me.

It would greatly increase the amount of options you'd have.

Let's say I tolerate software on a specifically non-gaming targeted mouse. Are there any other manufacturers other than Logitech? I'm struggling to think of a non-gaming brand.

21 minutes ago, porina said:

A common location is just below the scroll wheel and I do hit it occasionally so they do need disabling. It might be useful for some gamer somewhere, but it isn't for me.

I find DPI selection useless on a dedicated button but I don’t even think about needing to disable it. Takes half a second. 

Logitech gaming mice are fantastic as you just use OMM (Onboard Memory Manager) to make you changes, save it and never touch it again. Tiny little EXE, doesn’t need to run in the background and doesn’t install. 

I’ve had so many mice over the years I can’t keep track but G502X is going to live on my desk for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Logitech gaming mice are fantastic as you just use OMM (Onboard Memory Manager) to make you changes, save it and never touch it again. Tiny little EXE, doesn’t need to run in the background and doesn’t install. 

Never heard of it up to now. I'll try it on an existing Logitech mouse tomorrow as it is getting late now. I can do similar through G Hub, but as said it seems somewhat unreliable at times.

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I’ve had so many mice over the years I can’t keep track but G502X is going to live on my desk for a long time. 

I've got a G503 somewhere and G703 that gets moved between my TV gaming system and a travel laptop. The G503 I stopped using as it does the bad double click thing. The G703 did it for a time then stopped. No idea why. This is in part why I tried Razer with optical switches on my main gaming system but their software seems unavoidable unless there is a trick I'm missing. If software isn't running it goes to some horrible default.

42 minutes ago, porina said:

This is in part why I tried Razer with optical switches on my main gaming system but their software seems unavoidable unless there is a trick I'm missing. If software isn't running it goes to some horrible default.

FWIW, G502X Lightspeed also has optical switches and with OMM, no software is necessary to be running at all. (This only works with Logitech G mice, btw) 

I despised GHUB so when I realized OMM did what I needed and nothing more, I was sold. 

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133-Onboard-Memory-Manager

The executable just lives on my desktop for the rare time I want to manually check battery life (though this mouse seems to last multiple months). 

Its just one window with all the things you need in one place. I checked and you can set the G502X to lower than 1000hz since that's something you care about. I've also got the DPI button effectively disabled but only having a single DPI that never changes. 

image.thumb.png.afc2203b243a606d010871d5b7d2db60.png

1 hour ago, porina said:

Never heard of it up to now. I'll try it on an existing Logitech mouse tomorrow as it is getting late now. I can do similar through G Hub, but as said it seems somewhat unreliable at times.

The Logitech mice also have different profiles perhaps you are accidentally switching between them? I've never had an issue in many generations of Logitech mice. Set them up once, and forget it. Being primarily a Linux user I generally don't have access to their software anyways. I will say I make every profile / layer the same, remove them, forget it's been a long time now since I've set up my current G502.

As for the switches, meh, replace them with the nicer Japanese made switches when they fail and generally it isn't a problem again.

Even though it fails some of OP’s criteria, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Logitech G103/203 mouse.

I was a diehard Intellimouse fan for its simplicity, and then I moved on to Razer Deathadder but switched away due to multiple failures, moved to Zowie FK but switched due to rubber coating issues and very loud clicks, and now I’m happily on G103/203.

They unfortunately have RGB, although either the RGB on mine have died or my Samsung Neo G8 USB hub -> Ugreen KVM is not supplying enough power.

I’ve cycled through around 5 through multiple workstations and work places and I have never encountered any issues.

The DPI switch is helpful when juggling between different monitor resolutions and devices.

G103/203 is easily my forever mouse and have been happy with them for the last ~6 years.

7 hours ago, porina said:

Are there any other manufacturers other than Logitech? I'm struggling to think of a non-gaming brand.

To be fair, Logitech was a very, very good peripherals company first. They became a gaming peripherals company in the last decade because it’s the logical next step for making more-advanced peripherals and more $$.

Marketing only to office workers is a total waste for high-polling rate, low lift off distance, perfect sensor tracking, etc.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

10 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

FWIW, G502X Lightspeed also has optical switches and with OMM, no software is necessary to be running at all. (This only works with Logitech G mice, btw) 

Good to know, but I'm not sure about the shape for the G502X for me. I'll have a look around and see if any of their other models have that switch.

9 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

The Logitech mice also have different profiles perhaps you are accidentally switching between them? I've never had an issue in many generations of Logitech mice. Set them up once, and forget it. Being primarily a Linux user I generally don't have access to their software anyways. I will say I make every profile / layer the same, remove them, forget it's been a long time now since I've set up my current G502.

Might be a Windows thing. Not 100% sure but problems seem to be more when moving it between systems, not when used on the same one all the time. Chances are, I'll keep it on the same system anyway so it is a minor concern.

9 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

As for the switches, meh, replace them with the nicer Japanese made switches when they fail and generally it isn't a problem again.

Is this a solder job? I don't have access to the tools or motivation to do that. I think Asus advertised one of their mice with easy switch changes but Asus 😄 

4 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

G203 looks promising. The features I don't want, I can disable. I'll look into it further.

What problems did you have with your Deathadder? Mine (v2) is nearly 4 years old now, no problems with it mechanically as my primary desktop/gaming mouse. It is a small annoyance the software has to be running and it updates now and then.

They seem to have kept a foot in the door in the home office/small office areas, but I guess price is the priority there not the high end. 

I think I've shortlisted it down to two models:

Logitech G203 Lightsync: does not have onboard memory so I will have to run software. Smaller size. Very cheap.

Logitech G403 Hero: same size/shape as the G703 I already have. OMM supported. More expensive.

Ok, 3rd option now I say that.

Logitech G703 Lightspeed: Isn't much more over G403. While I didn't originally seek wireless, I do have powerplay unused from my original G703 I could set up here to keep it topped up. Main reason for not wanting wireless was so I didn't have to worry about charging.

I like RTINGS for their display reviews but they don't seem as good at mice. In the cons they put the 203 as small and 403 as bulky. There's not a lot in between them to be "just right" 😄 

3 hours ago, porina said:

What problems did you have with your Deathadder? Mine (v2) is nearly 4 years old now, no problems with it mechanically as my primary desktop/gaming mouse

I went through 4 Deathadder mice from 2012-2014 from just doing schoolwork, Solidworks, and occasionally L4D2.

Double clicking issues. Scroll wheel would intermittently work. 1 straight up stopped turning on.

Razer was notorious for horrible build quality back then (and still now) but the general consensus was that if you lucked out with a flawless Deathadder you had the best mouse on the market.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

18 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Double clicking issues. Scroll wheel would intermittently work. 1 straight up stopped turning on.

Maybe they got better? Mine is v2 from around 2020, and I picked it specifically because it has optical switches to get away from my past Logitech problems.

After much contemplation, I have ordered the G203. Yes, I know I have pretty much thrown out much of what I said I wanted.

It is cheap enough that if I like it, I might standardise on it for all my test systems so I don't have mixed mice moving around which might be why some software gets confused.

I can turn off the RGB and disable the other functions I don't need/want.

Why not the higher mice? I don't think I'd use that system enough to spend bigger money on a mouse.

Also I think I might have got my mice models mixed up. I previously said I thought I have G503 and G703, same but the 7 is wireless. The 503 doesn't seem to exist, and the 502 is a different form factor. I might have the G403 as the corded one. Can't find it right now to check, nor is there any sign of my Intellimice. Probably still in a box somewhere after moving 3 times in last 2 years.

11 hours ago, porina said:

Is this a solder job? I don't have access to the tools or motivation to do that. 

It does require soldering, at least on every mouse I've repaired (which sadly has been more than a few). The switches are just through hole, so it's a pretty painless swap, as far as soldering jobs go. However I also recommend replacing the skates at the same time. You can get them off in one pieece, especially if you use some heat, but easier to just use new ones.  The switches, I always order from reputable source as there are fakes. Generally this can quickly approach a $20 repair once you include shipping costs and skates.  Its why I try and order many switches at once and keep them on hand. 

This is one of my G502 apart for repair:

g5021.jpg