LG Ultrawide screens leaves Windows PC open to malware

GoodBytes

If you have LG ultrawide monitor, and you used the setup program that comes with it for the monitor utility which allows you to create virtual screens, then your system is exposed to malware.

Lazy developer at work here. The developers could not understand how to develop under Windows environment, so instead of reading documentation on understanding how to make a software, LG decided to disable Windows User Account Control protection system as valid solution, in their eyes, and not informing the user about it.

lgtv.jpg

The problem surrounds the Windows utility UAC, which is short for User Account Control. The feature is designed to defend your PC against hackers and malware by asking you for permission when your software makes a change. That way, only programs that you're actually installing can be added to the system.

LG Spokesperson said that they are aware of the issue, and are looking into it.

"We are aware of the problem that Mr. Bachner wrote about and will look into this immediately. We appreciate Mr. Bachner bringing this to our attention and expect to have a response shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/09/lg-screen-software-may-be-malware-risk

This post has been promoted to an article

3 words spring to mind

"what"

"the"

and 

"fuck"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Good think i don't have an ultrawide monitor, though i kinda want one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow LG. That is just plain negligence. Completely unacceptable.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

UAC is lucky if it lasts an hour on my machines anyways lol

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I turned mine off a long time ago since its been pissing me off lately lol

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, that sucks a lot. One tip for AMD users, is to use Hydravision instead, which can do the same (and much much more): http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/HYDRAVISION-ForRADEONandMobileATIProducts.aspx

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

are you guys kidding me?

any program can turn itself into a program which is with admin privileges in seconds. ive done it before.

no it does NOT open your pc to infections any more than it was before because any mallicious program could do anything it wants even tho UAC or whatever is enabled.

the fact the had to change the setting to install drivers is sad but no reason to bitch so hard about it. just change it back

How do I programming?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Disabling UAC is step one in using Windows anyway tbf

I turned mine off a long time ago since its been pissing me off lately lol

are you guys kidding me?

any program can turn itself into a program which is with admin privileges in seconds. ive done it before.

no it does NOT open your pc to infections any more than it was before because any mallicious program could do anything it wants even tho UAC or whatever is enabled.

the fact the had to change the setting to install drivers is sad but no reason to bitch so hard about it. just change it back

Jesus Christ these posts make me cringe.

Running Windows as admin without UAC is as naive as running Linux as the root account by default.

You folks probably would run Linux as root too though since Linux is even more inconvenient in that it requires you to enter your password and not just click "Yes" every time an admin task is initiated. There is no such thing as convenient security. You folks are a hackers wet dream.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Running Windows as admin without UAC is as naive as running Linux as the root account by default.

You folks probably would run Linux as root too though since Linux is even more inconvenient in that it requires you to enter your password and not just click "Yes" every time an admin task is initiated. There is no such thing as convenient security. You folks are a hackers wet dream.

Linux was designed from the off to handle multi users of differing privilege. Windows wasn't. Therefore what Linux and Windows consider admin tasks are fundamentally different. You can use Linux in everyday life without needing admin privilege constantly. Windows is another story since it was designed to always have admin privilege anyway.

I turned down UAC until my PC got infected

never turning it off again

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Linux was designed from the off to handle multi users of differing privilege. Windows wasn't. Therefore what Linux and Windows consider admin tasks are fundamentally different. You can use Linux in everyday life without needing admin privilege constantly. Windows is another story since it was designed to always have admin privilege anyway.

Still doesn't change the fact that running Windows without UAC is phenomenally ignorant and asking to get your system compromised.

snip

Been doing it for 6/7 years now without problem. im hardly concerned. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

The way I look at it, is there is absolutely no way to be 100% safe, if someone wants your stuff, they can get your stuff. Don't think for a second you are safe.

So I run pfSense for security from all the random port open attacks, anti-virus, etc., and if anyone is good enough to get past that, then I'm pretty sure UAC isn't going to stop them so why make it a hassle for myself?

I haven't used UAC since a few days after Vista was released and I figured out how to turn it off. Never get viruses and if someone is stealing my information without me knowing they haven't been doing a good job with the info.

Still doesn't change the fact that running Windows without UAC is phenomenally ignorant and asking to get your system compromised.

It makes the comparison with Linux invalid though. Linux is just a much better operating system in general.

LG was planning to use this to their advantage and gather/harvest data with other software too but are now like oops we have been caught.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The way I look at it, is there is absolutely no way to be 100% safe, if someone wants your stuff, they can get your stuff. Don't think for a second you are safe.

So I run pfSense for security from all the random port open attacks, anti-virus, etc., and if anyone is good enough to get past that, then I'm pretty sure UAC isn't going to stop them so why make it a hassle for myself?

I haven't used UAC since a few days after Vista was released and I figured out how to turn it off. Never get viruses and if someone is stealing my information without me knowing they haven't been doing a good job with the info.

Do you also leave all the doors on your house unlocked because if someone wants to get in they will?

It makes the comparison with Linux invalid though. Linux is just a much better operating system in general.

So disregard the comparison then. This discussion isn't about how good Linux is or isn't. Running Windows with UAC off is incredibly naive and ignorant.

Do you also leave all the doors on your house unlocked because if someone wants to get in they will?

Funnily enough, I honestly do leave the house unlocked at all times, I actually don't even know if I have keys for the front door. Never been robbed either.

I do, however, keep my detached garage locked.

Running a normal firewall is like locking your doors, it keeps the honest people honest, but a thief is still going to break a window or something and get in.

Running UAC is like having a $50/month subscription alarm system. The damn thing goes off all the time when you don't want it to, you're always clicking buttons to enter/leave, and you still get all your crap stolen when some guy back at ADT or whatever messes up and doesn't call the cops.

So disregard the comparison then. This discussion isn't about how good Linux is or isn't. Running Windows with UAC off is incredibly naive and ignorant.

And completely predictable. I consider the frustration introduced by UAC (coupled with the fact that software can just opt to remove it without the user's consent!? lmfao cool security bro) a failing of Windows, and so Microsoft's fault.

This reminds me of the time when I was setting up alternative "My Documents" folders on a family PC and so that only one user could view the contents of each (their own folder). I cocked it up and locked everyone (myself included) out of one of them. I didn't have privilege to access the folder, but I did have privilege to change the privilege settings of the folder so that I could. Windows is hilarious like that.

You cannot be more wrong. Windows NT 3 (1 and 2 didn't exist) was designed for accounts since day 1.

You can perfectly use Windows without admin privileges constantly.

And completely predictable. I consider the frustration introduced by UAC (coupled with the fact that software can just opt to remove it without the user's consent!? lmfao cool security bro) a failing of Windows, and so Microsoft's fault.

This reminds me of the time when I was setting up alternative "My Documents" folders on a family PC and so that only one user could view the contents of each (their own folder). I cocked it up and locked everyone (myself included) out of one of them. I didn't have privilege to access the folder, but I did have privilege to change the privilege settings of the folder so that I could. Windows is hilarious like that.

Linux based software can do the same. Give it root, and watch it at work.

Your point is invalid