Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Theoretically that could work, you'd just basically have to build an entirely new motherboard/operating system around it.

A GPU is basically just a CPU specialized for graphics

But its architecture will be unsupported by any sort of OS

Theoretically that could work, you'd just basically have to build an entirely new motherboard/operating system around it.

But .. why can't they go past 2ghz already ?

Or can it be .. they are lying to us .. feeding us megahertz slowly so we continue to buy "faster" cards every year ...

tumblr_ninxtpQeH91t1y91io1_500.gif

Little bit of a throwback.. But I thought the Nokia Ncage was a great idea..

(it kinda was a good idea, but very bad execution)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Google Glass. That turned out to be a failure. Let's see if Microsoft can pull off Hololens better than Google executed Glass. And at a much lower price PLEASE.

Seriously, people are still bitching about Glass's price? It's was a proof of concept, nothing more. It was priced to deliberately put people off buying it because it wasn't ready. It was no different to Oculus Rift DK1 -- it was not meant for mass takeup.

Glass, or AR like it, would be an awesome wearable I can totally see the point of, unlike any kind of smart watch.

Seriously, people are still bitching about Glass's price? It's was a proof of concept, nothing more. It was priced to deliberately put people off buying it because it wasn't ready. It was no different to Oculus Rift DK1 -- it was not meant for mass takeup.

Glass, or AR like it, would be an awesome wearable I can totally see the point of, unlike any kind of smart watch.

It sure was a way too expensive proof of concept that Google did nothing with once it launched. At least Oculus kept developing it's product.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

But .. why can't they go past 2ghz already ?

Or can it be .. they are lying to us .. feeding us megahertz slowly so we continue to buy "faster" cards every year ...

tumblr_ninxtpQeH91t1y91io1_500.gif

Nvdia is probably doing this to some extent. They could develop a really awesome new lineup of cards that would be extremely fast, but why would they? It's not like AMD has caught up to them yet. When AMD has, they'll finally get worried and actually do something.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Putting a compressor on a cpu to cool it like a refrigerator. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I know that, but I would need, as you said, a new MOBO (which I can't make), and a new OS (and I'm not an amazing programmer).

I tried to take a backplate off a socket 1366 motherboard that had adhesive on it. the only problem is, I done it with a knife. ripped tracings off the back of the board and had to buy a P6T SE

Main PC: ASUS PRIME X299-A / Core i7 7820X / 16GB DDR4 / Palit GTX 1070 Ti / Corsair CX550F / Corsair Carbide Air 540

Secondary PC: ASUS X99-A / Core i7 5820K / 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified / Corsair CX500M / Fractal Define S

external gpus ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I need to put my ram under liquid nitrogen.

why isn't that a good idea? it will go faster.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

It sure was a way too expensive proof of concept that Google did nothing with once it launched. At least Oculus kept developing it's product.

Because they cut it too soon. The whole strength of Android (and iOS for that matter) is user generated content and apps. Glass didn't live long enough to see any, so obviously it appeared lacking.

The price is a stupid thing to bitch about, almost as stupid as writing it off as a failure before it reaches all but a a tiny minority of people.

"I'm gonna upgrade my RAM to 8GB! That'll make my PC faster"

Now I know it's because of a bloated HDD and thermal paste as non existent as Nina Hartley's virginity.

Awesome name drop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I used to have a dish box with a card in it and I put my dad's credit card into it. I thought I could get all the shows for free because I'm showing it money....

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Water cooled PSUs do exist: http://koolance.com/1300-1700w-liquid-cooled-power-supply

When I was younger, I thought DVD decoder cards were a really good idea. 

At the time they were, but CPUs got so fast, that they quickly became obsolete.

What is wrong with a water cooled PSU? It would need a separate loop but I dont see the problem

Damn, you're right. I wonder why it never caught on

I thought upgrading all my network cables from cat5 to cat6 would be an awesome idea. As soon as i hit purchase I realized my network speed isn't even fast enough to come close to the limits of cat5...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

What is the worst thing you have ever bought for your computer. It can be anything graphic cards, CPUs, Motherboards, Cases, peripherals, or monitors.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)~~▲▲▲▲~~CanyonCoolMan~~▲▲▲▲~~( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My case....

Corsair 230t... wish i just saved more and got the air 540 right away instead...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

My APU.... I had no clue what I was doing, and someone told me it was newer than FX series so....

my stupid hp pavillion g6 laptop. eh. its ''ok'' when its booted up, but every time I boot up I have to swap ram around, run windows repair tool. update, and hope my files are still ok.

ooh. yeah. its barely 2 years old and the battery is dead.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 kingston 120gb v300 ssds , please make me buy samsung evo pros next time , i beg of thee

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky