Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My PC......

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Buying 1333 mhz instead of 1600 mhz ram when building my first pc, or probably buying the ms-i commander snow edition (Thermaltake) case just becuase it looked cool... (I was 10 at the time :)

an A4Tech Webcam... cable too short to be useful...

a non-genuine Memory Stick Pro (these things are everywhere... and are packaged to look like the real deal...)... PSP won't read it...

how is that a mistake?

that PSU is a grade A unit just get your warranty for it its not supposed to make any sound in the first place...

you do know things can get delivered broken they call them DOA's (dead on arrival)

the same applies for you just because 1 unit broke doesn't mean the brand or product sucks

OP asked for the worst PC part you've ever bought. I answered. I don't know what you're getting at.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

pinyeng front audio jack panel for a case i modded. (cost me 100 nok and it broke when i opened the bubble wrap it came in)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

gtx 960 and a cs450m for an i7 4790k based system.  not sure what I was thinking... it was February.. the cold was getting to me.. and I had not discovered these forums yet.  New gpu and psu are on their way finally! Though the 960 really has been awesome and I can't believe everyone hates on them, I can't wait to see what a 980 can do.  I got the 980 for $360 from evga bstock, otherwise I would not have bought a 980

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Either the EVGA GTX660 I bought, or the EVGA 500w PSU I bought (because it wasn't modular)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Does my Dell Inspiron 15 N5040 count?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

a non-genuine Memory Stick Pro (these things are everywhere... and are packaged to look like the real deal...)... PSP won't read it...

Ah... Memory Stick Pro cards... Curse you, proprietary schite!

Do they even have any advantages over SD cards, other than getting more money to flow for Sony, that is?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Got into the Apple hype and bought a 3GS back in the day. #neveragain

Never got to fix my old Motorola Razer V3 (that was a sweet looking phone)

I stored my Commodore 64 in the attic and it got water damaged (it was working just fine before I decided I didn't need it anymore)

I sold my first Penium II (real cheap)

I lost my favorite SC2 shirt because of a drunken bet

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Getting a titan x just before the 980Ti came out

"Just go Android (Glorious Android Masterrace)"

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB

PC "SkyT": Radeon 390, i5 6600K, NZXT H440 Razer 

+ I joined the apple hype and bought a €2175 macbook pro retina

"Just go Android (Glorious Android Masterrace)"

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB

PC "SkyT": Radeon 390, i5 6600K, NZXT H440 Razer 

I dropped a screw driver on a motherboard once, it broke a component and bricked the board. I guess owning a MSI board in 2010-11 was also a mistake, since I used it lightly until it was out of warranty, but as soon as I pushed it hard it literally caught on fire. My next project might make the list, basically all I'll spoil now is that I'm going to be watercooling in a $20 case(not used, MSRP), and I don't have a radiator, soo yeah.

Try to overclock my g3258 to 5.5 ghz at 1.4 volts. Note that I have a different processor now.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Two days ago, I was trying to finish up something before I went to bed around 1am and I was tired and the room was dim and I tried to force the SATA power cable back on my hard drive in the case without paying attention.

It was upside down so the plastic cracked and the pins bent :-(

Luckily it wasn't an ssd and just a 1tb £40 HDD. And the files were backed up to an external.

Phew!

Btw there's no way to fix a broken SATA power port is there?

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

I was going to clone an HDD to an SSD. I'm a huge fan of hot-plug SATA, so I popped open my case, plugged them in, and connected power to them.

They died.

Turns out some modular power supply cables for another modular power supply got mixed up with my modular PSU's cables. The cables had the same physical connection, but a different internal pin-out. Ugh.

That's a mistake I won't ever be making again.

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

When i was helping my friend build his PC over the phone, I forgot to tell him to check whether his case (NZXT H440) had mobo standoffs installed - cause the manual said it did. Anyway, it didn't due to an error on NZXT's behalf. So he fitted his mobo straight to the tray and ended up killing his Gigabyte Z97 and 4790k. Luckily the local store were happy to replace it, saving him over $600  :lol:. 

Do they even have any advantages over SD cards, other than getting more money to flow for Sony, that is?

They're faster than SD... other than that, no other advantages...

I actually liked MSPro...

Bought cooler master CM Force 500  :unsure:

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

OP asked for the worst PC part you've ever bought. I answered. I don't know what you're getting at.

Yes and you say it was a mistake to buy that product?

i am telling you thats not a mistake even good brands can deliver products broken

getting at the fact that your blaming the product instead of the occurrence that product was not a mistake to buy

Just spilled a glass of milk on my keyboard. Randomly typing .'s now. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Buying an SSD I would have to say... Came up in conversation and never really thought about it but I find it more of a pain to compress files and manage multiple drives than just having a fast hard drive with 5 seconds added to the boot time.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Buying an SSD I would have to say... Came up in conversation and never really thought about it but I find it more of a pain to compress files and manage multiple drives than just having a fast hard drive with 5 seconds added to the boot time.

I don't understand what is so  great about SSDs, I don't have one and my boot time is always under 10 seconds and my harddrive is fast enough. Maybe I wont understand until I get one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Buying 1333 mhz instead of 1600 mhz ram when building my first pc, or probably buying the ms-i commander snow edition (Thermaltake) case just becuase it looked cool... (I was 10 at the time :)

Lucky for you it makes no difference in 99.999% of cases. 

Memory Stick Pros.....I remember getting a 1gb one when I got the PSP the day it launched....it was a thursday....and a 1gb memory stick cost $100.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Bought a Mac mini before I knew anything about computers, and I thought it was going to run Garry's mod, and CSGO without blowing up. I couldn't have been more wrong :/