Xbox One v.s PC - Help me Decide

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up and I've been thinking heavily on deciding whether I should build a PC or buy a new next gen console. First off I want to say, please keep your arguments as objective as possible, and honestly try to help me decide! If I was to buy a pc it would only be about $500 (not including os). The most important things to me for making this decision would be friends and the games I want to play. I have friends on both the xb1 and pc, so I can't really decide from that, and for games I really would want to play sports games, console exclusives, and racing games on the xb1. I feel like PC doesn't even have those options, or big communities. For example the community on console for Fifa is waaaaaay larger than on PC that's why I don't even think about playing Fifa on PC. The reasons why I would like to start pc gaming is because all I really played on PC is LoL, csgo and minecraft, which is about all I can run on this shitbox of a computer I own right now. There are a ton of games that I would like to play on PC though, a lot of mmo's like Skyforge, games like Battlefield which run better on pc, etc. It's really hard for me to make this decision because yes PC plays a lot better than console and everything but I don't get to play the games I love. Also I will be entering university in a matter of months, and I would like to game there during my spare time, so space is a matter, as well as costs, upgradability , etc. Please help, thank!!

Well, this forum will obviously say PC...

I would say the one with more friends of yours on it, but they are on PC and console..

To be honest, I would go with PC because of mods and possibly playing some older games

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

everyones going to say pc, but not getting a xbone is a big mistake for me. Its so much easier to game online with friends. ever since I went pc gaming, its hard to game with more then one friend at a time. 

I'd say PC, but if your friends play the XB1 more and you don't wanna be left on your own, then go for the XB1.

Or get them to go on PC and build yourself a Mini ITX system or M-ATX system to bring to university.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Honestly, I would go with the PC especially since you are leaving for university, you will get way more out of it for your money than an Xbox. Remember, a PC can pretty much do all your computing tasks as well as let you play games, and Xbox is really only designed for playing games.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Well, the PC would definitely be better for doing some work, as well as gaming. However, imo at that pricepoint a console would be better for gaming.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You asked the wrong people this question. xD

Alright, here is my opinion. I would go PC, because first of all PC is amazeballz. Second, its amazeballs! Anyways, I PC is better in my opinion, because of upgradability, and backwards compatible. Its as simple as that. You want to play your xbox360 games with your xbox1? Not a chance! throw em away, you have to buy the new version for 50bucks. You want to play tombraider 1 15years later? Go right ahead! 

Then there is upgradability. I would rather have to throw a new GPU into my rig then having to buy a totally new PC/console. Then there is the fact that I can use my rig for a tons of other sutff besides gaming. Web browsing, video editing, por... I mean pork research... Yea thats what I mean't... got find the best pork.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

everyones going to say pc, but not getting a xbone is a big mistake for me. Its so much easier to game online with friends. ever since I went pc gaming, its hard to game with more then one friend at a time. 

What are you talking about? Find yourself a community. I have problems trying to fit everyone in a group. xD

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Um....PC, duh?

Find yourself a gaming guild.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What are you talking about? Find yourself a community. I have problems trying to fit everyone in a group. xD

I like to game with actual friends, and I can't, so it sucks. Only have a couple pc buddies. but friends that play xbox? 8-10

I love how people still think the xbone is $500 its not anymore its $350... 
I have both a pc and an xbox one 
The xbox is better for online play and meeting new friends and is overall a more fun and relaxing experience

PC is fun too but everyone is a dick in games if you are a "noob" and it harder to make friends unless you join a community or clan but they may only play a few games

I say if you have a laptop or a computer already get a xbox one and use your computer for computer things  

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r2Y3Mp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r2Y3Mp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($127.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($45.60 @ Directron)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $511.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-15 18:58 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/My3rhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/My3rhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($45.60 @ Directron)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $515.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-15 19:01 EDT-0400

Something like that is possible. Much better than a gaming console.

Both are good options, I would go for the first one as it will give you better gaming performance. The second one has a nicer CPU but much slower GPU.

As for reasons go. I bought a PS3 back in the day and had a PC as well. PS3 was just a short time of actually playing games. I soon got frustrated with crappy performance and the lack of visual fidelity. A PC can give you that much easier.

Also I really enjoy the tinkering and upgradability. I have my PC at its state since 2012 (mostly). I only switched the GPU and it is perfectly capabale of playing all the latest titles at 1080p ultra.

I get why there are consoles, and I definitely had fun playing on my PS3, and my Wii, but both are not nearly as much fun to play on (long term) as the PC.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up and I've been thinking heavily on deciding whether I should build a PC or buy a new next gen console. First off I want to say, please keep your arguments as objective as possible, and honestly try to help me decide! Alright first off if I was to buy a pc it would only be about $500 (not including os). The most important things to me for making this decision would be friends and the games I want to play. I have friends on both the xb1 and pc, so I can't really decide from that, and for games I really would want to play sports games, console exclusives, and racing games on the xb1. I feel like PC doesn't even have those options, or big communities. For example the community on console for Fifa is waaaaaay larger than on PC that's why I don't even think about playing Fifa on PC. The reasons why I would like to start pc gaming is because all I really played on PC is LoL, csgo and minecraft, which is about all I can run on this shitbox of a computer I own right now. There are a ton of games that I would like to play on PC though, a lot of mmo's like Skyforge, games like Battlefield which run better on pc, etc. It's really hard for me to make this decision because yes PC plays a lot better than console and everything but I don't get to play the games I love. Also I will be entering university in a matter of months, and I would like to game there during my spare time, so space is a matter, as well as costs, upgradability , etc. Please help, thank!!

The XB1 seems like a no-brainer here since you're into racing games and sports games. The minimal PC I would consider to be a significant improvement over consoles for shooters and adventure games would be a little over your budget, but not too much.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Antec 75120 79.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($5.64 @ Mwave) 
Total: $522.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-15 19:02 EDT-0400

I'd personally opt for the XBox 1 or PS4 with your budget and with your desire to play sports and racing games, especially since the new Battlefield should still play well on consoles. Especially when an XB1 will be way cheaper.

I guarantee deep down you know what you should do.  I know if I had friends that played games on a certain platform I would definitely get that.  There is always time for single player games later on in life so get whatever it is that will allow you to have some fun with friends.  This advice btw is coming from a loner.  It is no fun being alone all the time.  I envy you OP if you have some real life friends to play games with.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I know, I already got some good points from an xb1 standpoint, I wanted to know what you pc people would think about it. 

I just have soccer friends from school that have xb1 and play a lot of sports games, as well as shooters. But also I have some friends that are really into pc gaming. I both see them as equal for playing with, but I just wanted to know. I like PC for the competitive aspect. I played quite a bit of amateur competitive LoL. But I really enjoy just playing online with friends and just doing dumb shit. I heard PC mods are amazing on stuff like GTA, so that was something I wanted to get into as well.

I know, I already got some good points from an xb1 standpoint, I wanted to know what you pc people would think about it. 

Consoles are easily better value for the money. I think building a gaming PC makes sense if you're willing to spend for something sort of high end, but low end it only makes sense if you're wanting to play mostly PC exclusives. Otherwise your console will last longer and the games will look pretty similar.

The Xbox One will be cheaper, easier to move than any budget PC, etc.

PC is more an enthusiast platform. Yea, a $500 budget PC is nice, but... You're missing out on the greater things of PC gaming. If you aren't spending $700 on the PC, it's almost not worth getting a gaming PC.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

go with PC first..much for use in the long run

i myself intend to buy any console just for the exclusives if I ever get the money

People said I could easily build a $500 pc that could run most games at high level of graphics etc. Idk what would I be missing out on?