Xbox One v.s PC - Help me Decide

Dude, if you want to play console exclusives, go and buy a console it's so simple.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

What games do you want to play? What system are those games on? Get that system. I dont think it can get any simpler than that

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

@ongutaboi If you're going to be living in a dorm... between those two, absolutely an Xbox One.   You'll have friends all around you and you'd appreciate the ease/simplicity of couch-based multiplayer.   And the Kinect for all your drunken/stoned stupors.     

Can't get that from a PC.  

All the builds so far are missing that OS requirement

given some of your interest and statements, the xbone still seems like the best bet.

Get the PC I took my 360 to Uni used it once then decided to get PC for easy pizza access. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Xbox One... hands down. 

I assume you will be dorming with someone else, and PC is one player at a time. For reasons of easier socializing and ease of transport, go with the xbox.

@ongutaboi a PC is a good option if your actually interested in upgrading and tinkering with it. If price is an issue, choose xbox. If socializing isnt an issue, choose PC. 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

So no one mentioned that you won't have to worry about optimization issues with the xb1? I think that's a point worth making, given its price point.

A PC in terms of functionality obviously wins (power comes with a price), and in the end it is cheaper with all the f2p games and sales going on.

Get which ever you think you'll enjoy more. PC has far better valuer per dollar as you get better performance and far more functionality. With the Xbox, all you can do is game and maybe watch netflix etc. With the PC, you can game, work on assingments, learn new things and be more productive.

My recommendation for PC build if you need it to be portable:

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($89.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($93.95 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $431.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 00:40 EDT-0400

This is under your $500 budget and with the APU in dual-graphics mode with the R7 250, you'll be able to run many games no problem. Even at 1080p, albeit at lower settings, but still. This is also smaller than an Xbox One but you can do A LOT more with it. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I'd go for a PC, just because of the practicality of having one as opposed to having a console. Even using a cheap gaming PC you can still play a ton of games (a lot of them with other people too) and there's also a huge opportunity for learning things, like if you wanted to get into programming or something along those lines. Having a PC will set you up much better in the long run, and not just for gaming.

The consoles are going to be outdated in about another year, and they're not that powerful, so I'd stick with the most stable, updatable platform.

Another option: Why not have both? If you're knowledgeable enough with PC's and PC components, you could always scrape together something cheap with used parts. Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN8nmLXXeu4

I just put together a fairly decent machine myself for about $200. I happened to have a spare graphics card collecting dust, but even if I didn't, could have easily found something moderate for another $100 or so. 

Just some food for thought. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $528.81

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 00:56 EDT-0400

Try this, R7 260X and 750 Ti both get you about console grade performance, but you have no DVD drive....If you really want one, you'll have to switch the case out for the CM elite 130. If you're really stretched to get this thing to about 400 bucks, take out Windows and run Linux. Be warned tho, you'll have a smaller library of games

Edit: This'll probably be THE best Steam Machine on the market...

Edit2: Run XBMC (now Kodi) on it, and you've got one hell of a gaming HTPC

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I know, I already got some good points from an xb1 standpoint, I wanted to know what you pc people would think about it. 

If you want fun, PC is your best bet. If you want ease of use, then console. That's all console really has to offer anymore, exclusives don't really count, because in the end your paying $500-ish for a very small number of games, that in the end, aren't really worth it compared to PC exclusives.

Not to mention the added price of playing online on a console, which adds onto your ISP bill anyways, whereas I PC for the most part (barring mmo's) is free to play online. And most MMO's eventually go f2p

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That benchmark shows the single player campaign, what about multi player.

Also,

Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU

That benchmark features an i7 as their CPU, not a G3258. Take that into consideration.

Also,

Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU

The edit and quote features were brought to us for a reason, Please use them. I don't think single-player and multi-player are going to change the frame rate all that much, and all 3 systems are probably going to use different CPUs anyway. Consoles don't have i7s in them....

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Get the PC I took my 360 to Uni used it once then decided to get PC for easy pizza access.

yeah If you are going to uni I would lean on pc since you like lol you are sure going to meet some people to play with I have friends in uni and almost none of them use their consoles

The edit and quote features were brought to us for a reason, Please use them. I don't think single-player and multi-player are going to change the frame rate all that much, and all 3 systems are probably going to use different CPUs anyway. Consoles don't have i7s in them....

Right, and a few seconds later I went back and edited my posts. The multi player in bf4 can be me much more demanding compared to their single player campaign, and so, low frame rates/stutter can be an issue with the dual core G3258 whenever there is a CPU intensive situation.

Right, and a few seconds later I went back and edited my posts. The multi player in bf4 can be me much more demanding compared to their single player campaign, and as such low frame rates/stutter can be an issue with the dual core G3258 whenever there is a CPU intensive situation.

Then just upgrade to an i5 and a better GPU like a 970, once you have the money, my build is just a cheap steam box, and you don't have to follow my build log down to the bone...

Right, and a few seconds later I went back and edited my posts. The multi player in bf4 can be me much more demanding compared to their single player campaign, and so, low frame rates/stutter can be an issue with the dual core G3258 whenever there is a CPU intensive situation.

As someone who used to play with a GTX 660 on an AMD A10 5700 apu (stupid configuration, I know) I can most definitely confirm this.

Then just upgrade to an i5 and a better GPU like a 970, once you have the money, my build is just a cheap steam box, and you don't have to follow my build log down to the bone...

Well that's the beauty of a PC, but we never know when he will be able to upgrade.

---

Please don't take it as an insult, I'm just trying to offer constructive criticism which benefits the OP.

As someone who used to play with a GTX 660 on an AMD A10 5700 apu (stupid configuration, I know) I can most definitely confirm this.

OH GOD, I FEEL ALL OF YOU GUYS' PAIN!!! *CRIES INTERNALLY LOOKING AT CONSTANT FRAME DROPS WITH GTX 660*

OH GOD, I FEEL ALL OF YOU GUYS' PAIN!!! *CRIES INTERNALLY LOOKING AT CONSTANT FRAME DROPS WITH GTX 660*

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro-l.png

Try combining that pile of crap with an even bigger pile of crap that is AMD's FM2 APU's, my god....

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro-l.png

Try combining that pile of crap with an even bigger pile of crap that is AMD's FM2 APU's, my god....

Oh god, now I'm going to cry even more for you because of your APU, as I'm running on an i7-3770....