Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

I've used at least 4 different thermal pastes where people say "these are the best, and one of them was junk" and they all got pretty much the same temperatures. Just pick one really.

Too much paste will increase temps, as will not enough.

I use a pea sized dot of Noctua NT-H1 in the centre of the CPU and then press the cooler straight down onto it, letting it spread itself.

Naw man it's all about the grain of rice. :P

What temps are you getting? Also what CPU and cooler are you using?

3570K, 1.1v, 4.2Ghz and it loads at around 70c on my Noctua NH-U12P

What is the best Thermal paste? Which will lower temps? I have a 4790k and a h100i, what's the best for that? Also, if you put more Thermal paste do you get better temps? OR is there a certain amount you need for a "sweet spot" and the rest is just excess?

Cheers!

The high-end thermal pastes give about the same performance. Noctua NT-H1, Icy diamond or Arctic Silver 5 is what I'd recommend. Good thermal paste will give you about 2-5 degrees lower temps versus crappy ones. You'll notice that good thermal paste isn't as runny either. 

There are many methods of applying thermal paste but more is not better. You'll be fine with a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the middle and letting the pressure of the CPU block spread it out. Make sure both surfaces are clean before applying thermal paste.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Noctua NT-H1 is excellent, one of the best you can get, along with IC Diamond and arctic MX-4

I was actually thinking about going for this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-ID&tool=3

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

The high-end thermal pastes give about the same performance. Noctua NT-H1, Icy diamond or Arctic Silver 5 is what I'd recommend. Good thermal paste will give you about 2-5 degrees lower temps versus crappy ones. You'll notice that good thermal paste isn't as runny either. 

There are many methods of applying thermal paste but more is not better. You'll be fine with a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the middle and letting the pressure of the CPU block spread it out. Make sure both surfaces are clean before applying thermal paste.

Will do! Going for this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-ID&tool=3 Reviews seem very impressive!

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

Noctua NT-H1 is excellent, one of the best you can get, along with IC Diamond and arctic MX-4

so is this worth it sending an extra 10?

https://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/1093/2144/arctic-silver-5-premium-silver-.html

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

3570K, 1.1v, 4.2Ghz and it loads at around 70c on my Noctua NH-U12P

You're doing 4.2 Ghz at 1.1v! Woah, what's the default voltage at? Like 0.5v??

You're doing 4.2 Ghz at 1.1v! Woah, what's the default voltage at? Like 0.5v??

default is around 1.2v, mine is undervolted.

MX-4 is slightly better than NH-T1

Dont even consider acrctic silver 5

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Noctua NT-H1 is he best you can get.

Arctic silver 5.

take a piece of scotch tape and put it on your finger. Then spread it into a paper thin layer all over the CPU.

ummm-no.gif

Error: 410

cut

Then which is the best?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Why not?

Then which is the best?

ummm-no.gif

I was thinking about this? Opinions? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-ID&tool=3

There is no difference really, as long as you jest do the "pea" method (a pea sized blob in the middle).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

IC Diamond ranks as one of the, if not the best (non-exotic) thermal compound.

It would be a good choice, but what are you doing, and do you actually need it?

A lesser paste might be perfectly tine like MX-4, Tuniq, or NHT

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

I use Gelid GC Extreme and love it.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Your going to a way extreme and spending way to much to help your CPU temps very little. I wouldn't spend $10 extra on thermal paste to make your CPU run 2 degrees cooler.

Go google it yourself, I don't care to sit here and lecture you on why you're giving terrible advice.

This is the most popular thermal paste there is.

Your going to a way extreme and spending way to much to help your CPU temps very little. I wouldn't spend $10 extra on thermal paste to make your CPU run 2 degrees cooler.

This coming from the guy who would spend $100 more for an i7 over and i5 for gaming.

Can we vote you off this forum?  The tribe has spoken.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

I use Gelid GC Extreme and love it.

Note that IC Diamond is probably going to be near the top here, but likely beneath the Coolaboratory stuff.

Like I said earlier, I would probably go with the NTH, MX4, recently the Phanteks paste.

This is the most popular thermal paste there is.

and this is the most popular case. Oops, I guess we all made a mistake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=power_supply-_-11-129-021-_-Product

Don't even bother with new thermal paste OP, buy an Antec 900 instead.

nobody cares dude, I'll just be crass and kindly request that you stop posting and clogging up the forum with crap