Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

Mayonnaise 

Edit - Here is a graph

post-53148-0-01692600-1408859999_thumb.g

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Gelid GC-Extreme

Here is a really good Thermal Paste Comparison Chart

I also did a personal review of the Gelid GC Extreme on my CPU and GPU, you can see those results here

Be aware, the Coolaboratory stuff does perform the best, but it is the most difficult and most dangerous to work with.  It has a long cure time, "very liquidy" and worst of all is thermally conductive, so it can damage components if used improperly.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

cum

Only problem with cum is that it has to be reapplied daily.  Which isn't an issue for must of us, its just the hassle of having to remove the CPU Cooler every time you need to re-apply.  The results are terrific though, and you are a lot less stressed out because you aren't worrying about your CPU temperatures as much, and well.. ya.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Only problem with cum is that it has to be reapplied daily.  Which isn't an issue for must of us, its just the hassle of having to remove the CPU Cooler every time you need to re-apply.  The results are terrific though, and you are a lot less stressed out because you aren't worrying about your CPU temperatures as much, and well.. ya.

Are you kidding me it keeps my 4960x oc at 69 ghz at -5 degrees kelvin.

I am in love with my MX-4, also AS-5 is tried and tested. as a general rule just use what you can get your hands on unless it's dried up. i got my MX-4 for $7.99 with a $8 rebate. couldn't ignore a deal like that when the net cost was negative.

ahahhaha

Are you kidding me it keeps my 4960x oc at 69 ghz at -5 degrees kelvin.

Kelvin is not measured in degrees. it keeps your 4960x at -5 Kelvin. 

Kelvin is not measured in degrees. it keeps your 4960x at -5 Kelvin. 

Yes it keeps my 4960x at -5 kelvin.

Arctic Silver 5 or Noctua NH-H1

Thanks, I'll Probably Go for the Arctic silver

cum

I Might Take it into Consideration  :mellow:

Mayonnaise 

Edit - Here is a graph

attachicon.gifFunny thermal paste graph.gif

Thanks

I Love Dogs and Video Editing

Depends on what you're applying it to. If for something with a heat spreader then Arctic Silver is a fairly well known and reliable option. If for something without a heat spreader then one of those silicon based ones.

Your choice of heatsink also matters when choosing thermal interface material but for the most part the aforementioned options are just fine.

noctua NT-H1 

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

for TIM its mostly just preference i like the non capacitive nature of MX-4 its also 5x easier to clean than something like AS5

What is the best Thermal paste? Which will lower temps? I have a 4790k and a h100i, what's the best for that? Also, if you put more Thermal paste do you get better temps? OR is there a certain amount you need for a "sweet spot" and the rest is just excess?

Cheers!

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

Too much paste will increase temps, as will not enough.

I use a pea sized dot of Noctua NT-H1 in the centre of the CPU and then press the cooler straight down onto it, letting it spread itself.

If it's a new H100i then there's nothing wrong with using the pre-installed thermal compound for the first use of the cooler, only if you remove it will you need to clean it and re-apply some more.

Noctua NT-H1 is excellent, one of the best you can get, along with IC Diamond and arctic MX-4

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Noctua NT-H1 is he best you can get.And there is quote i like "less is more" this apply to thermal paste too

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Too much paste will increase temps, as will not enough.

I use a pea sized dot of Noctua NT-H1 in the centre of the CPU and then press the cooler straight down onto it, letting it spread itself.

What temps are you getting? Also what CPU and cooler are you using?

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

I like Phobya HE-Grease. Using it on my GPU and my CPU, never had trouble with it ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Arctic silver 5. I don't think it makes a huge difference though which one you use.  DO NOT PUT ALOT OF THERMAL PASTE. If you put to much it will ooze over the side and could short something out. Make about a pea sized drop on your CPU and take a piece of scotch tape and put it on your finger. Then spread it into a paper thin layer all over the CPU.