Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

This coming from the guy who would spend $100 more for an i7 over and i5 for gaming.

Can we vote you off this forum?  The tribe has spoken.

I never said you needed an i7 for gaming I said if someone wanted an i7 there was nothing wrong with getting one.

[A graph]

I use Gelid GC Extreme and love it.

Really? Tooth paste actually works? I can't believe they tried that too...

EDIT:

I think everyone is missing the point this is a Haswell chip.

Really, unless you're spreading mayo. It won't fucking matter. Just use whatever TIM comes with the cooler.

Also, that graph has now been reposted twice. L2 not quote images.

Quoted image removed on user request.

Edited by Ruostunut kokis

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I think everyone is missing the point this is a Haswell chip.

Really, unless you're spreading mayo. It won't fucking matter. Just use whatever TIM comes with the cooler.

Also, that graph has now been reposted twice. L2 not quote images.

@helping, I admit @Cokeman is annoying as hell, but he isn't wrong that Arctic silver 5 is a good thermal compound. In this instance, he doesn't deserve the crap you are throwing his way. The only thing wrong with his suggestion, is the application method he advised. I will grant you though, Arctic silver 5 isn't the best money can buy; but still.

Arctic MX-4 realistically. It's rather cheap and is what, 2-3 °C warmer than the much more expensive stuff? It almost lies within margin of error. Also don't spread it yourself, that's an ancient method, only Carey Holzman still believes in it.

who cares...

I never said you needed an i7 for gaming I said if someone wanted an i7 there was nothing wrong with getting one.

Thats not what your original post said before you edited it.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

"Arctic Silver 5

Buyer beware: The brand Arctic Silver is not the same as Arctic. This is one of the few pastes on the market that still sports silver as an ingredient. However, it shows its age and does not keep up with the best pastes out there today. Based on its performance, it seems overpriced."

-Source

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The best paste is not a paste at all. It's a solid that reflows at temp and spreads out perfectly over the IHS every time. Installation is quite finicky and the results may not be worth it so exercise caution before paying for it.

http://indigo-xtreme.com/page-baa.shtml

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

IC Diamond ranks as one of the, if not the best (non-exotic) thermal compound.

It would be a good choice, but what are you doing, and do you actually need it?

A lesser paste might be perfectly tine like MX-4, Tuniq, or NHT

I foolishly, removed my CPU Cooler a couple of times (twice) and the Paste seems to have dried up, getting idle temps of  40 degrees.

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

If this is for cpu, indigo extreme is what you want if you want the best of the best that doesnt damage anything upon removal. For standard paste, I use pk3 myself.

The best paste is not a paste at all. It's a solid that reflows at temp and spreads out perfectly over the IHS every time. Installation is quite finicky and the results may not be worth it so exercise caution before paying for it.

http://indigo-xtreme.com/page-baa.shtml

Thats some cool stuff, im researching it now!  Never knew about this, thanks for the info.

@helping, I admit @Cokeman is annoying as hell, but he isn't wrong that Arctic silver 5 is a good thermal compound. In this instance, he doesn't deserve the crap you are throwing his way. The only thing wrong with his suggestion, is the application method he advised. I will grant you though, Arctic silver 5 isn't the best money can buy; but still.

What you get for what you pay, it's not worth it at all. It's antiquated knowledge, it was a decent paste back in the days when there was nothing competing against it, but now there are numerous pastes that perform better, especially in terms of price efficiency.

And I disagree, he deserves all the crap I throw at him.

ACRTIC SILVER 5!!!!!!! My temps are 32C with an FX-8350 and H110

Also 28C with intel stock cooler (i5 4670k) in my other machine

did you read the thread?

Error: 410

I foolishly, removed my CPU Cooler a couple of times (twice) and the Paste seems to have dried up, getting idle temps of  40 degrees.

Ya dude, you need some thermal paste.

ACRTIC SILVER 5!!!!!!! My temps are 32C with an FX-8350 and H110

Also 28C with intel stock cooler (i5 4670k) in my other machine

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

After what he just posted in a different thread. Yeh, your probably right.

What you get for what you pay, it's not worth it at all. It's antiquated knowledge, it was a decent paste back in the days when there was nothing competing against it, but now there are numerous pastes that perform better, especially in terms of price efficiency.

There's nothing wrong with artic silver 5 and I use mx4 on builds as often as possible but got into a muddle the a while back and had to use it.

It works as good as MX4 but has a sorta burn in time and was hitting the same temps as the MX4 after 3x 3 hr stress tests and costs the same as well.

True be told I've used many thermal pastes and really IRL unless your a major overclocker it won't make that much difference as long as you buy "premium" stuff

Lol at the mustard performing better than roswill craptastic termal paste haha

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Uhm you don't really want to use AS5 with a H100i on lga115x, there's just not enough pressure to let the paste spread and AS5 spreads awful. It's okay on s2011 since the block can apply more pressure there but with lga115x the backplate is quite junk to have a tight fit. I probably tried reapplying AS5 like 15 times, all of them failed so I gave up and used NT-H1 again which was an instant success with proper temps.

AS5 is just horrible, extremely hard to clean, spreads crappy, people were ripping the CPU out of the AMD socket (read newegg reviews quite hilarious), burn-in time is a waste of time etc. Not sure whats up with that Cokeman but he is complety giving terrible advice, he only recommends products he owns >.> 

Eh I'll always be partial to EKWB Indigo Xtreme/XS given its performance. The problem with it is needing a very careful hand in the reflow process.

Gelid Extreme has really great reviews too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Arctic Silver has always served me well

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Does someone has benchmarks of aftermarket thermal paste vs whatever comes in the box? Because I really think the difference is negligible.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Does someone has benchmarks of aftermarket thermal paste vs whatever comes in the box? Because I really think the difference is negligible.

read the thread

read the thread

oh sorry I read trough the first two pages were I only saw diagrams of different kind op paste compared to chocolate and toothpaste so I didn't know how serious that was, I didn't bother to go to the 3rd were the ncix video was shown. 

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX