This Forum Needs To Understand Some Things

I've noticed lately how so many of these topics on recommending a product or model of something go a little like this:

-OP-

"Hi! I was wondering what the best CPU cooler for $50 is?"

-Response-

"Well, if you went $20 more, you could get model X and it would be WAY better!"

And this really bugs me for three reasons:

1) You did not help the person who asked for a $50 CPU cooler, you helped a person looking for a $60 or $70 cooler.

2) Most likely the OP has a budget of $50. They probably didn't have $100 to spend, but instead chose to say they had $50 for fun.

3) Typically people will respond to this by saying the OP should save up, but never consider that maybe OP has saved up, and is looking for parts priced below what the responder thinks they should get. Not everyone wants or needs enthusiast-grade equipment!

My proposal:

Instead of taking five seconds to write "This cooler costs more but is better," try taking ten seconds and saying "This one is great for $50, but if you can stretch, this one at $70 would be even better." That way, OP doesn't need to waste time clarifying that they did not, indeed, have more than $50 to spend. And because of this, we can keep threads more concise and help people asking for advice quicker.

-snip-

Why spend $50 and be shitty about it later vs. spending $20 more and having a far superior product?

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Seconded.

Sometimes its better to buy the best for what money you have rather than save up. We don't know how long it took for OP for save up.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Why spend $50 and be shitty about it later vs. spending $20 more and having a far superior product?

This. I like this.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

The issue is yeah, thats true,

but theres 2K people on the fourm this very second. that means that even if 1% of people are dumb and dont understand budgets, thats 200 people to throw recommendations

I agree with this, people have to start doing this by listing the item at OPs price range and one that is better but may be a little more, giving him the option and the clarification that the one in his budget range is still good

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Its Called A Suggestion

I believe you two missed the point. You CAN recommend a higher-end product, but don't sacrifice a recommendation in the requested price range by doing so.

Many people have a budget in their OP because that's the ENTIRE BUDGET - not a suggestion!

I agree, give the OP some options

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

If we are talking hundreds of dollars more... I get it.

Using OP's example? $20 isn't that much.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Why don't we all have a massive orgy, just to know each other a bit more  :)

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

If we are talking hundreds of dollars more... I get it.

Using OP's example? $20 isn't that much.

But sometimes even $20 more is too much more. We need to understand that budgets are budgets, and that we can't gloss over the request and give them what we think they need and can afford.

THANK YOU. Some of the people here do that to me, and it's like... "Really? Do you have any idea how long it took for me to save up just for a fucking G3258?!? GO. AWAY."

And it's not just the newer people with less posts. Some of the 1K+ people do it, and it makes me want to knock their block off.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've noticed lately how so many of these topics on recommending a product or model of something go a little like this:

-OP-

"Hi! I was wondering what the best CPU cooler for $50 is?"

-Response-

"Well, if you went $20 more, you could get model X and it would be WAY better!"

And this really bugs me for three reasons:

1) You did not help the person who asked for a $50 CPU cooler, you helped a person looking for a $60 or $70 cooler.

2) Most likely the OP has a budget of $50. They probably didn't have $100 to spend, but instead chose to say they had $50 for fun.

3) Typically people will respond to this by saying the OP should save up, but never consider that maybe OP has saved up, and is looking for parts priced below what the responder thinks they should get. Not everyone wants or needs enthusiast-grade equipment!

My proposal:

Instead of taking five seconds to write "This cooler costs more but is better," try taking ten seconds and saying "This one is great for $50, but if you can stretch, this one at $70 would be even better." That way, OP doesn't need to waste time clarifying that they did not, indeed, have more than $50 to spend. And because of this, we can keep threads more concise and help people asking for advice quicker.

IMO its better to wait a little longer for a higher quality product than to get a lower quality cheaper one, just to have to upgrade it/replace it down the road because it isn't doing as well as a higher quality product would have done.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

But sometimes even $20 more is too much more. We need to understand that budgets are budgets, and that we can't gloss over the request and give them what we think they need and can afford.

Perhaps. But that's the entire point of saving.

Literally every time I see someone wanting to blow money (and some people who are in this thread have been in the same threads with me), I do my best to stop them. But buyer's remorse is a lot bigger problem. And if waiting an extra paycheck to put the final piece to make a rig (or whatever else, really) as close to perfect as possible is what it takes? That gets my vote.

Edit: Like I said, we are talking small amounts, and usually on things that matter, like a better cooler, PSU, etc.

Edited by Prastupok

OP: What is the best CPU cooler for $50 dollars?

Me: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $28.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-18 22:23 EST-0500

This one, it's good great performance and you save $20 bucks!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Perhaps. But that's the entire point of saving.

Literally every time I see someone wanting to blow money (and some people who are in this thread have been in the same threads with me), I do my best to stop them. But buyer's remorse is a lot bigger problem. And if waiting an extra paycheck to put the final piece to make a rig (or whatever else, really) as close to perfect as possible is what it takes? That gets my vote.

And that's fine! I just want people to stop giving their ONLY recommendation above price range.

And maybe it's a 13-year-old kid who isn't getting any more money any time soon, and wants to get a CPU cooler now to complete his build; it would suck if you got 10 responses telling you to save up, and no one actually listening to what you're asking.

Congratulations OP, you're the ten quadrillionth person to say that to a group of people on the internet.

If people tell you to save up, chances are that's the best thing to do because the price point you listed will yield less than desirable results and or quality.

I didn't listen, and I spent $600 on shit hardware that completely sucked and I regretted it. If I had listened, I would have had more money to build a system I would enjoy more and maybe build the water cooling loop I want to.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

snip

+100 respect

Congratulations OP, you're the ten quadrillionth person to say that to a group of people on the internet.

If it needs to be said, I'll say it. Maybe we should try it instead of going 'oh well.'

And that's fine! I just want people to stop giving their ONLY recommendation above price range.

And maybe it's a 13-year-old kid who isn't getting any more money any time soon, and wants to get a CPU cooler now to complete his build; it would suck if you got 10 responses telling you to save up, and no one actually listening to what you're asking.

I'm going to get shit for this, I already know...

But teaching that 13 year old the merits of working for what you want (mowing yards, plowing snow, whatever) is much better and teaches them valuable life lessons in the process.

It really depends on the product. if it's for a CPU cooler as the given example, you can find decent coolers for that price point, better a decent air cooler than a cheap AIO one (assuming there are no case limitations on cooler height). For other products, the "save up" response is more than justified, especially for low end graphics cards. it's a case by case issue, not a simple "Users should stop" one.