This Forum Needs To Understand Some Things

I'm going to get shit for this, I already know...

But teaching that 13 year old the merits of working for what you want (mowing yards, plowing snow, whatever) is much better and teaches them valuable life lessons in the process.

^This.

Instant gratification is the bane of humanity with this generation, It's taken me a LONG fucking time to understand that.

You get what you pay for, be impatient and end up being disappointed.

It really depends on the product. if it's for a CPU cooler as the given example, you can find decent coolers for that price point, better a decent air cooler than a cheap AIO one (assuming there are no case limitations on cooler height). For other products, the "save up" response is more than justified, especially for low end graphics cards. it's a case by case issue, not a simple "Users should stop" one. 

Also this^

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm going to get shit for this, I already know...

But teaching that 13 year old the merits of working for what you want (mowing yards, plowing snow, whatever) is much better and teaches them valuable life lessons in the process.

Ok, there's that too. But my point will be that maybe that kid HAD worked for three months, and $200 was all he had for a GPU. We can't assume he just got money off the street and decided to buy this on a whim.

EDIT - @Trik'Stari , this is for you too.

Ok, there's that too. But my point will be that maybe that kid HAD worked for three months, and $200 was all he had for a GPU. We can't assume he just got money off the street and decided to buy this on a whim.

Stop. Are we talking GPU or cooler?

I already stated that we are talking small upgrades for a much superior product. Hundreds of dollars over budget is NOT what I meant.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

If he had worked for it, he could work a little longer.

your point is moot, and opinion based. There will be those that recommend saving more, and there will be those that come in at or below price point.

That's the point of asking, you ask people that know more, and you ask many people, not all will agree, and all will justify their reasons, and the asker does what they think is best. Welcome to the internet.

Edit: The most I ever remember going over a price point is $50, unless what they are looking at is absolute shit and won't perform AT ALL. Cases do not really count, with those I take into account what they are trying to do more than their price range. Mainly because the case is one of the most important and overlooked parts of a build, in my opinion.

Instead of a debate this problem can be very simply solved.

Simply reply with both. *mind blown*

For example, if OP was asking for a $50 cooler

"For $50, Cooler X will be your best bet, but if you can save up some more then for $70, Cooler Y is better for the money"

"Rawr XD"

Stop. Are we talking GPU or cooler?

I already stated that we are talking small upgrades for a much superior product. Hundreds of dollars over budget is NOT what I meant.

It could be either; by GPU It could still be a $30 to $40 difference.

If he had worked for it, he could work a little longer.

your point is moot, and opinion based. There will be those that recommend saving more, and there will be those that come in at or below price point.

That's the point of asking, you ask people that know more, and you ask many people, not all will agree, and all will justify their reasons, and the asker does what they think is best. Welcome to the internet.

I'm not asking people to stop recommending over-budget; that's certainly a good thing to do in many situations. But to ONLY recommend that and tell the OP to 'just get some more money' is both presumptuous and unhelpful in many scenarios.

Instead of a debate this problem can be very simply solved.

Simply reply with both. *mind blown*

For example, if OP was asking for a $50 cooler

"For $50, Cooler X will be your best bet, but if you can save up some more then for $70, Cooler Y is better for the money"

*ahem*

Instead of taking five seconds to write "This cooler costs more but is better," try taking ten seconds and saying "This one is good for $50, but if you can stretch, this one at $70 would be even better."

I'm not asking people to stop recommending over-budget; that's certainly a good thing to do in many situations. But to ONLY recommend that and tell the OP to 'just get some more money' is both presumptuous and unhelpful in many scenarios.

Again, if I feel that their price range will include only things that will under-perform to the extent they regret it and feel like they wasted their money, I will recommend saving rather than just telling them what they want to hear.

For instance "which *Random AMD APU* should I buy for a gaming build and no GPU?" The answer I will give is "no, save your money, get a cheap CPU, and a decent GPU, the difference is huge"

-snip-

My issue with this is: I can't in good conscience recommend a bad product. Under a certain price, they all suck.

As Trik'Stari said, if they worked for it, they can work a little more. 

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Again, if I feel that their price range will include only things that will under-perform to the extent they regret it and feel like they wasted their money, I will recommend saving rather than just telling them what they want to hear.

Ok, but did you consider that maybe their price range was very low because they only needed a cheap cooler due to having a lower-end CPU, so they could spend more on other components?

I guess I'm trying to say that we don't know the full story, typically a grammatically frail sentence is all we get in OPs.

As Trik'Stari said, if they worked for it, they can work a little more.

I guess we just see things differently. But couldn't you still mention the cheaper product and explain the benefits of saving up, not just giving a harsh 'Don't go with that, this is better?'

Ok, but did you consider that maybe their price range was very low because they only needed a cheap cooler due to having a lower-end CPU, so they could spend more on other components?

I guess I'm trying to say that we don't know the full story, typically a grammatically frail sentence is all we get in OPs.

If we don't know more, we generally ask. Generally we always ask "what is the purpose for the build?" before recommending anything.

And CPU coolers don't really matter that much for low end CPU's anyways, so our response would be "go with the stock cooler" unless they're doing a ridiculously small ITX build.

This ^

THAT'S WHAT I SAID IN THE OP!

Maybe we should start reading the OP before we get into more complex topics...

I guess we just see things differently. But couldn't you still mention the cheaper product and explain the benefits of saving up, not just giving a harsh 'Don't go with that, this is better?'

I cannot and will not recommend something that isn't worth the money. It's a horrid practice to appease a bad decision, especially when it's someone else's rig. Give them the slightly higher product and if they are in THAT MUCH of a money crunch, tell them to use stock cooler and not OC until they can afford it.

I cannot and will not recommend something that isn't worth the money. It's a horrid practice to appease a bad decision, especially when it's someone else's rig. Give them the slightly higher product and if they are in THAT MUCH of a money crunch, tell them to use stock cooler and not OC until they can afford it.

explain the benefits of saving up, not just giving a harsh 'Don't go with that, this is better?'

Is no one reading my comments?

What I try and do is

1) Answer OP question to the best of my ability.
2) then add my opinion like " hey, you have $50 can you save up another $20 and look into buying this $70 item as it is better and potentially be better for you"
3) then maybe summarize or conclude, or offer something else to the thread.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

What I try and do is

1) Answer OP question to the best of my ability.

2) then add my opinion like " hey, you have $50 can you save up another $20 and look into buying this $70 item as it is better and potentially be better for you"

3) then maybe summarize or conclude, or offer something else to the thread.

Good strategy. Could you explain this seemingly alien concept to some other members on this thread? :P

explain the benefits of saving up, not just giving a harsh 'Don't go with that, this is better?'

Is no one reading my comments?

I generally DO explain to save. That isn't the issue. You said just recommend one in the price range. If it's trash, I won't be responsible for someone putting trash in the build.

About what you said "if you can save"... there is no if. You can always save. If you can't, well, then you shouldn't be building a computer in the first place.

I would point out, that by telling them what they want to hear, you handicap them to an extent, even if you add your own advice. Why?

People generally go with their first instinct, regardless of outside advice. I would argue that it's better to tell them what would be best, rather than just answering their question and then adding your advice.

I generally DO explain to save. That isn't the issue. You said just recommend one in the price range. If it's trash, I won't be responsible for someone putting trash in the build.

About what you said "if you can save"... there is no if. You can always save. If you can't, well, then you shouldn't be building a computer in the first place.

No, my point is to include the cheap part in the post, and explain why it's not worth it; if you only tell them 'it's not good,' that doesn't help them understand WHY. Here's an example.

Post A:

"No, don't go with a GT 630. It's terrible. Just save up for a GTX 750Ti, it's worth it."

Post B:

"A GT 630 is barely faster than the graphics onboard the CPU, so it would be a poor use of money; a better idea would be to wait and save for something like a GTX 750 or 750Ti, which would give you a real performance boost. For the time being, the onboard GPU will do just fine, especially if you were going to buy a 630 and use that money to basically just fill up a PCI-e slot."