And it is official. RadioShack is closing down permenantly - Files for Bankruptcy - UPDATE

GoodBytes

RadioShack has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, after 94 years in operation.

The company will sell off up to 2,400 of its 4,000 US stores, which is rumor that Amazon will buy some of them to Sprint if negotiation goes through as per rumors.

Amazon and Sprint aren't commenting on the matter.

462712332.0.jpg

RadioShack has been selling to people all sort of electronics, from computers to parts such as resistors and fuses to consumers for a bit over 94 years.

It used to be a widely popular, but was unable to stay competitive with online stores and competing electronic stores.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7983221/radioshack-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy

Let's enjoy some of the old ads they had:

Here is what Linus from the past says (RadioShack 20MHz, 386 CPU, 89MB HDD (yes), computer)

UPDATE

General Wireless had plans to purchase between 1,500 and 2,400 stores, where 1,750 RadioShack stores will also be transformed into a combination Sprint/RadioShack retailer. No info from Amazon.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8003733/radioshack-bankrupt-closing

So, RadioShack will continue to exists as name, but will be selling smartphone, and probably continue to sell many of it's items.

If its anything like in Canada, the store will have the nice section of smartphones by Bell Canada (long story, but Bell Canada bought the RadioShack which are called The Source now), and the rest of the store is in poor shape (dirty floors, old carpet that needs to be changed, not well trained staff outside of smartphones, dust on products on shelves. At least the ones I visited.)

94 years...wow 

They should've pulled a Sharper Image and just closed down all retail stores....although, they probably couldn't compete online anyway :/ 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That's sad, I feel bad for those guys

94 years in operation and then suddenly bankruptcy? :(

This situation was all but sudden, RadioShack traffic had been going down steadily for at least the last 15 years. Best Buy, online commerce and others gave them a run for their money, and they ran out of steam.

Fun fact: Micro Center was founded by two ex-RadioShack employees.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

... which is rumor that Amazon will buy some of them to Sprint if negotiation goes through as per rumors.

... aren't commenting on the mater.

RadioShack has been offering to people electronics devices ...

That's some quality reporting right there. I do this because luv u.

Huh. Well this is kinda sad I guess. I liked their stores. Too bad. I'll just buy my stuff from Monoprice like I have been.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That's sad, I feel bad for those guys

94 years in operation and then suddenly bankruptcy? :(

It's been happening over time, it's not too sudden. 

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

It's been happening over time, it's not too sudden. 

Yeah I know that, I remember a lot of news reports of this happening soon enough

That was a misuse of words

Radioshack 2015... Never Forget.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Well that stinks. They were my goto place when I needed small trivial wires, adapters, batteries and such, and I couldn't wait for shipping since there is one less than 10 minutes away..
I don't think I ever bought anything over $15 in there though. I totally can understand why they are going under.

I don't think I ever bought anything over $15 in there though. I totally can understand why they are going under.

this......

I did buy an arduino there, but they just didn't have the selection or expertise to entice me to shop more.

Physical retail establishments are simply a thing of the past. 

The Internet is taking over, one day at a time...

RadioShack has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, after 94 years in operation.

The company will sell off up to 2,400 of its 4,000 US stores, which is rumor that Amazon will buy some of them to Sprint if negotiation goes through as per rumors.

Amazon and Sprint aren't commenting on the matter.

RadioShack has been selling to people all sort of electronics, from computers to parts such as resistors and fuses to consumers for a bit over 94 years.

It used to be a widely popular, but was unable to stay competitive with online stores and competing electronic stores.

the title is miss leading as chapter 11 does not mean a company will close permanently. might want to read up on chapter 11. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Radioshack has nothing good to offer. I thought they went out of business a long time ago. Their store hours are horrible. Closing at 7pm on a Saturady. I will just go to Microcenter. Plus everything they offer is overpriced. That and their customer support is horrible. They have no clue what they are talking about. At least the stores in my area. I had a couple friends work for them. All the stores in my area closed. Seriously they had no idea what a displayPort was and this was 2 weeks ago when I called them.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I guess that explains why their stock got de-listed by the NYSE (it's only available over the counter now).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Clearance? :D Do they even have anything good? 

First thing I though

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Goodbye to the only place to get arctic silver and other bit parts in my town. Overpriced as hell, so good riddance I guess. But still, I don't like to see companies fold. It's messy. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Good riddance...except for that one time I needed a cable for HDMI to Component or something like that for a PS3.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I wonder if they will be having a going out of business sale?

Stores usually do, but the specials are usually not great until the very last day. This is because they try to maximize funding to repay any debts. Companies try to do this to try and end in good term with some of the companies/warehouse they work with, for better support for any future project that the top executives may potentially have one day.

its chapter 11 not 7  chapter 11 means their stores continue to operate and prevent creditors from collecting assets chapter 7 means that the busniess is closed and all assets are sold.

PLEASE do your research before you make such a claim.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |