What should I review next?

1) Find a clear coolant for water loops that doesn't use ethylene glycol and which offers good corrosion protection for copper (not just the claim of good corrosion protection and no data to back it up).

2) Show us a case that lets one suspend a water pump via a built-in flexible system instead of having to resort to zip tie monstrosities that take forever to make and which have to be destroyed when it's time to clean the system. Hard brackets, which transmit vibration, are not suspension.

3) Prove to us, one way or another, that the coolant from my first request is compatible with a silver coil. Also, I'd like to know if a silver coil is an effective biocide in a loop that has no chlorine in it. Also, is it an effective biocide in a loop that has a coolant with the typical triazole inhibitors or do the inhibitors prevent the silver ions from freely moving about and killing stuff?

If you haven't already, how about a roundup of all the 180mm and larger fans on the market. All of them. Both in a static pressure situation and for case airflow. With restriction (like air filter sheets) and without. In vertical arrangement and horizontal.

Compare these with 140mm fans to prove, definitively, whether or not the claim that 200mm fans are worthless is true. This claim is commonly made by some vocal people in certain forums.

Demonstrate whether or not liquid metal TIM "dries out" after a number of months as some claim.

Demonstrate whether or not liquid metal TIM dries/bonds to nickle as it does to copper (rapidly in my experience with Liquid Pro and copper).

Compare the Phobya, Grizzly, Liquid Pro, and Liquid Ultra products — the four liquid metal TIMs on the market. Not just for performance but for longevity and for the bonding/drying issue.

I would like to know if, indeed, these do not dry/bond to nickle (e.g. a nickle spreader and nickle block) and also whether or not when they dry/bond with copper it actually causes temps to rise. Some have claimed that when the bonding occurs it helps temps.

Also, long-term testing of liquid metal for delidding would be good. It would be nice to know if the claim that Intel can't use liquid metal TIM for an enthusiast chip is true or just a lame defense of their poorly-performing TIM.

Show us how to make a system with two fanless power supplies, one for the GPU and one for the CPU and motherboard. Apparently it can be done since the Calyos people demoed one recently. I asked about this in another forum and people told me it's not possible.

If it is possible it can be a way to reduce noise in a system with SLI/Crossfire GPUs and a powerful CPU.

Test the thermal pads on the market to show:

1) How much of a gain is found from getting the expensive ones rated for higher thermal transfer versus the midrange and cheapies.

2) How much thickness impacts the results.

3) How they compare with paste.

4) Does having paste on each side of the pad have any effect?

There is a big price difference between the top Fujipoly pad, their midrange pad, and the cheap pads.

Probably a good system to test the effectiveness with is an AMD FX overclocked to 4.7 GHz (APM off for a static overclock) on a Gigabyte board. Gigabyte boards tend to use small heat sinks but have good VRMs. They also have a VRM temp sensor.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:58 PM, mlazatin said:

Linus, can you show stats of which of your videos get high viewership/likes and which ones get low viewership/more dislikes? I just want to know what the other viewers like and dislike.

They like over priced rediculous shit, and hate tutorials and the pizza cooking PC.

11 hours ago, aw_shucks said:

1) Find a clear coolant for water loops that doesn't use ethylene glycol and which offers good corrosion protection for copper (not just the claim of good corrosion protection and no data to back it up).

2) Show us a case that lets one suspend a water pump via a built-in flexible system instead of having to resort to zip tie monstrosities that take forever to make and which have to be destroyed when it's time to clean the system. Hard brackets, which transmit vibration, are not suspension.

3) Prove to us, one way or another, that the coolant from my first request is compatible with a silver coil. Also, I'd like to know if a silver coil is an effective biocide in a loop that has no chlorine in it. Also, is it an effective biocide in a loop that has a coolant with the typical triazole inhibitors or do the inhibitors prevent the silver ions from freely moving about and killing stuff?

Or just don't use dye. Distilled water. If you want color, get tubes and a res that are that color and call it a day.

Demonstrate whether or not liquid metal TIM "dries out" after a number of months as some claim.

Demonstrate whether or not liquid metal TIM dries/bonds to nickle as it does to copper (rapidly in my experience with Liquid Pro and copper).

Compare the Phobya, Grizzly, Liquid Pro, and Liquid Ultra products — the four liquid metal TIMs on the market. Not just for performance but for longevity and for the bonding/drying issue.

I would like to know if, indeed, these do not dry/bond to nickle (e.g. a nickle spreader and nickle block) and also whether or not when they dry/bond with copper it actually causes temps to rise. Some have claimed that when the bonding occurs it helps temps.

Also, long-term testing of liquid metal for delidding would be good. It would be nice to know if the claim that Intel can't use liquid metal TIM for an enthusiast chip is true or just a lame defense of their poorly-performing TIM.

I'd reccomend asking a different channel to do that. I think they've had their fill of testing those things.

Show us how to make a system with two fanless power supplies, one for the GPU and one for the CPU and motherboard. Apparently it can be done since the Calyos people demoed one recently. I asked about this in another forum and people told me it's not possible.

If it is possible it can be a way to reduce noise in a system with SLI/Crossfire GPUs and a powerful CPU.

Hook 1 up as usual and connect the green wire to a ground on the other and wire it up to the GPU... done.

I would like to see the software tools you guys use to make everyday desktop life easier. Stuff like Synergy, ObjectDesktop, 7zip, SpeedCommander, PuTTY and stuff like that. Who uses what and why? B|

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

- we keep saying that we cannot "future Proof" and this it true with the continuous upgrading of parts but have you ever look at a comparison of a .... say $3K system from 2011 and compaired it to a normal system today, it would still play on the internet OK, mindcraft for the kids, and Microsoft excel / word, but would it be good enough.

im still running a FX6300, and as far general WEB then the old Pentium D could do it ( albeit really slow)

it seems games and video editing seems to be the difference.....??

- it would not be fair to compare a $3K yr 2011 to a $3K yr2016 but  what if I did spend $3K+ in 2011 how would if fair today and what would it stackup to in todays tech....

Im talking about really seeing the general use for life on a $3K layout

just a thought if I was to spend $3K in 2016 where would i be be 2020..( generally speaking) 

2 hours ago, DiceAtlas said:

- we keep saying that we cannot "future Proof" and this it true with the continuous upgrading of parts but have you ever look at a comparison of a .... say $3K system from 2011 and compaired it to a normal system today, it would still play on the internet OK, mindcraft for the kids, and Microsoft excel / word, but would it be good enough.

im still running a FX6300, and as far general WEB then the old Pentium D could do it ( albeit really slow)

it seems games and video editing seems to be the difference.....??

- it would not be fair to compare a $3K yr 2011 to a $3K yr2016 but  what if I did spend $3K+ in 2011 how would if fair today and what would it stackup to in todays tech....

Im talking about really seeing the general use for life on a $3K layout

just a thought if I was to spend $3K in 2016 where would i be be 2020..( generally speaking) 

If that's how you spent money, you're either too rich to worry about it or you're terrible with budgeting your money. My 2cents.

Hey Linus, here's an idea for a PC build I'm sure many would love to see.

A compact gaming PC that's easily taken to friends houses for TV/Couch gaming.

I know you've done similar in the past, with the recreated steam machine and shoebox sized overkill PC. But I think this would differ in the sense it doesn't need to seem like a recreation of the mass produced steam machine, or an uber expensive super PC.

First and foremost it should be fairly compact and easily transported. It should be durable because it will be moved around a lot. And it should be able to smoothly run 1080p gaming, with future upgradability in mind. A mid-ranged price point. Something you have in addition to your desktop.

just an idea, thanks for the great content 

3 minutes ago, TomR said:

Hey Linus, here's an idea for a PC build I'm sure many would love to see.

A compact gaming PC that's easily taken to friends houses for TV/Couch gaming.

I know you've done similar in the past, with the recreated steam machine and shoebox sized overkill PC. But I think this would differ in the sense it doesn't need to seem like a recreation of the mass produced steam machine, or an uber expensive super PC.

First and foremost it should be fairly compact and easily transported. It should be durable because it will be moved around a lot. And it should be able to smoothly run 1080p gaming, with future upgradability in mind. A mid-ranged price point. Something you have in addition to your desktop.

just an idea, thanks for the great content 

Fractal Design Node 202, i5 xxxx, and a 480, throw it all in a backpack, and done.

Grab NVIDIA Tesla for the lulz.

How about a review of Final Cut Pro when you get the macbook so we can once and for all confirm or silence the "specs on macbooks don't matter because final cut is better than premiere and faster"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 1/28/2015 at 10:27 PM, KungPaoChino said:

YES PLEASSE!!

I want this to happen.

Do like a ghetto external graphics card comparison with like

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpress3d.html

https://bizon-tech.com/us/bizonbox2s-egpu.html/

https://thewolfe.io/tech-specs/

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Doing recommendations for actual 3-D design builds (you have mentioned them a few times in the quadro videos) optimized to use programs like Autodesk Revit, Inventor, CAD, or Dassault Solidworks, or Catia may be cool for those of us who want to know how CPUs, GPUs, and RAM stack up for that type of workload.

Also useless (but fun) tech under $100 idea: Cheesehead

Image result for aaron rodgers wisconsin cheesehead

The Vector Watch

https://www.vectorwatch.com/

Capture.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

so first off I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area. I was trying to find episode ideas, but this isn't really a review suggestion.

With the Holiday travel season very quickly approaching and after watching "ULTIMATE Tech Tool Bag" again recently getting ideas for my work bag, I would like to see what you at LTT would suggest for holiday travels. I know that for myself as a gamer, traveling can be hectic, cumbersome and frustrating with all that I need (want) to carry and ensuring it gets there safely. Between long layovers at airports with little or no public Wi-Fi or power, size restraints and baggage limits I find myself having to sacrifice items I really want to bring along for items that are more practical. This doesn't just apply to flying, but also taking train, bus or the family car.

Seeing how the folks at LTT travel frequently I am sure that they have many ideas and techniques that will aid in making the experience even more pleasurable and stress free(that is not counting for canceled flights and having to put up with annoying family). Tips from this would apply to all types of travel, not just the holiday season. Linus's knowledge on traveling with children could also be quite helpful. Any tech, cables, accessories or even bag suggestions on this would be helpful. Even dealing with security can be a hassle. (example here is have a travel laptop bag that holds a laptop in a compartment that flips open to be x-rayed without it needing to be removed from the bag, which makes it easier, but security still want to dig through my massive amount of cables to charge or connect everything thus making that even more of a rats nest.)

Maybe do this even as a Now vs Then series video, or set it up as a LTT Short like the camping one. (loved that video btw)