What should I review next?

How about: 40x Your Network Speed.. On a Budget!

I thought that 10GbE is still too slow. So I googled about alternate technology and found that infiniband can also do normal IP networking.

So I bought two Infiniband adapters with 40Gbit network speed each and a 7 Meter QSFP cable. All in all less than 100 Dollars.

something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QLogic-QLE7340-Single-Port-40GBp-s-QDR-Infiniband-HCA-PCI-E-x8-w-Warranty-/182288795362?hash=item2a714246e2:g:r4YAAOSwCGVX4qUG

I really find the technology fascinating as normal 40GbE Adapters are VERY expensive and I never heard of infiniband before. I bought two cards and they show up with 32Gbit. File sharing speed is at about 5 Gbytes/s (not Gigabit)! I cant find anything wrong with this solution. It works, is cheap and behaves like any other NIC (because of IP over Infiniband)

So normal SMB and other network stuff works as usual.

So my question is if anyone on this channel could take a look it this and point out the possible drawbacks. ( I found none)

(This is a MHQH19B-XTR currenty used)

Infiniband.jpeg

I think that since gaming seems to be headed more in the direction of VR, a comprehensive look at which hardware components have the biggest impact on VR gaming and why would be a great video.

Also, not sure if you have a video like this yet or not, but a review and comparison of VR systems would be awesome.  Especially in relation to the most popular devices and hardware people are going to be running them on.  For example, how does PSVR compare to the Vive or Oculus.  Also, how does the GTX 1070 perform with each VR system as compared to the 1080, and AMD equivalents.  You can also bring in a couple different processors to compare performances with as well (5820k, 6700k, 6800k, 7700k? depending on when the video is shot).

On 6/15/2016 at 1:28 AM, rebelcrazy said:

More AMD processor 

they haven't released anything new or interesting for quite a while

lol i don't know what happened but I was sent to wrong page and quoted you a little late...

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 1/28/2015 at 10:24 PM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

A good UPS, please.

On 29/01/2015 at 1:24 PM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

i got AN idea

CPU Ghz and Cores as fast as possible(or is there already that video)

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

On 9/30/2016 at 4:42 AM, mariushm said:

Anything that will soon come up with 2.5gbps or 5gbps ethernet ports, since the 802.3bz has just been finalized and approved and all that.  It allows for 2.5gbps on Cat5e and 5gbps on Cat6 cables, with backwards compatibility with 1gbps and lower. 

Marvell already has a couple of chips, a simple 1-port PHY and a 4-port PHY : http://www.marvell.com/transceivers/alaska/

The one port PHY is tiny at 10x12mm so it looks like something that would show up on motherboards - I'm curious about cpu usage when transferring data between computers at 5gbps, how much overhead the driver needs and for example, if you could manage 5gbps with cat5e over very small distances (the product brief says so, but specs say cat6 should be used)

I'll add to this excellent suggestion:

- Windows 10 & 2012/2016 Server support for new 2.5GBASET-T and 5GBASE-T cards

- unRaid support/drivers for new 2.5GBASET-T and 5GBASE-T cards

- affordable 5/8/16 port switches which support the new standard, and actual test results from several brands with 2m, 10m, 100m cabling (try cat5e and cat6).

- performance of any consumer NAS that small/medium content creators might use which support the new standards.

@LinusTech

@nicklmg

@Slick

I, and I think many people would love to see a review of the new Alienware laptops. They have the largest legal battery size, and look really interesting this generation. Please consider a review, I don't think LTT has ever done a review on Alienware products, any reason why?

@LinusTech

I think it would've been interesting if you reviewed where is the cpu bottleneck for modern graphics cards. For example I have 2600K,will it bottleneck 1070? Yes? Then what about 3770K, etc... What about if I overclock my 2600K to 4.5GHz? I think you'll get the point. 

Any chance of a popular controllers review + showdown on some popular titles (dark souls,mortal kombat,dmc come to mind)? As a member of the master race I've never had to use them, but now I got some games piled up that would really be much more enjoyable to play with a controller so I'm not sure which ones should I go for - ps4,xbox,steam or maybe there are other 3rd party ones that are good?

Not so much a request for a review, but a more comprehensive 'investigation'; possibly for 'The Workshop'? :)

It's a bit long but bear with me:

Pretty much everyone knows about 'the silicon lottery' and talks about how it's a thing...but has anyone ever bothered to actually see what kind of spread you see when comparing for example 10 different CPU or GPU's? How much variance is really found?

It's a question that comes to mind not just when considering OC potential, but also in the light of often very small differences in comparative benchmarks. When differences between brands are often so small, are they really significant? Are the differences between products / brands really bigger than variance within different specimens of individual products?

So basically... how big is intra-product variance compared to inter-product variance?

So for example, when comparing an ASUS, MSI, EVGA, ZOTAC and Gigabyte 1080, are how do the 'differences' compare to the differences within for example 10 different ZOTAC 1080s of the same model?

This is probably a lot of work, but coming from a psychology background (so having a pretty well-decent education in research methodology and statistics) I have some pretty big doubts about a lot of the 'benchmarking' that's being done in...well... pretty much all of the computer journalism industry.

23 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Not so much a request for a review, but a more comprehensive 'investigation'; possibly for 'The Workshop'? :)

It's a bit long but bear with me:

Pretty much everyone knows about 'the silicon lottery' and talks about how it's a thing...but has anyone ever bothered to actually see what kind of spread you see when comparing for example 10 different CPU or GPU's? How much variance is really found?

It's a question that comes to mind not just when considering OC potential, but also in the light of often very small differences in comparative benchmarks. When differences between brands are often so small, are they really significant? Are the differences between products / brands really bigger than variance within different specimens of individual products?

So basically... how big is intra-product variance compared to inter-product variance?

So for example, when comparing an ASUS, MSI, EVGA, ZOTAC and Gigabyte 1080, are how do the 'differences' compare to the differences within for example 10 different ZOTAC 1080s of the same model?

This is probably a lot of work, but coming from a psychology background (so having a pretty well-decent education in research methodology and statistics) I have some pretty big doubts about a lot of the 'benchmarking' that's being done in...well... pretty much all of the computer journalism industry.

Luke wanted to do something along the lines of this with gpu's, I am not sure if he ever made a video though because last I remember he was having problems sourcing video cards in a big enough quantity for review/comparison.

I think you should make an HTPC running Kodi (XMBC) or something. I don't recall you ever doing anything like this before.

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

Low end consumer modems and routers. Lots of people have them. Not many people even think about how it affects their latency in FPS games. Can one have better latency then another in a low traffic situation? What about high traffic situations? Does GB network help the average gamer? Does it really matter? How much? If so, which ones under $150 are best for gamers? Lots of questions I can't recall hearing answers to.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

10 minutes ago, SnafuPossum said:

Luke wanted to do something along the lines of this with gpu's, I am not sure if he ever made a video though because last I remember he was having problems sourcing video cards in a big enough quantity for review/comparison.

I guess the added difficulty is that any hardware coming from a manufacturer is likely to already be binned to pick the top performers. Which would artificially level the results.

So preferably you'd do this with a whole bunch of random off-the-shelf hardware.

I have a gut feeling that a lot of the small differences in benchmarks are often nothing but capitalization on chance.

On 29/01/2015 at 3:25 AM, Gofspar said:

More Microphones, I feel like they are overlooked in someones setup but when you are a broadcaster or just even use TeamSpeak or Mumble a nice mic really draws people in.

Also Windows on a iMac for some 5k gaming sounds really neat. Also very curious about the real world gaming performance of the  R9 295XM.

Windows does not support 5k

Check this video out

I think it would be cool to see a review of the Acer Swift 5 and Swift 7. They claim the 7 is the thinest clamshell laptop right now. 
Would be a nice to do comparisons to other thin laptops like the Blade Stealth and LG Gram.

I know @LinusTechhas already talked about it in the past couple of WAN shows, but I'd just like to stress this: UHD blu-Ray vs regular blu-ray. Please :D

LMG should review each other. More as like "nothing has been released in years, we need a funny video just to put something out there" kind of video, something funny where each member of the team kinda rips into each other. I want to see Brandon casually pointing out Edzel's flaws and so on :D 

ASU

Perhaps a parody on the multiple little touted uses for the Samsung note 7, Like as a smoke grenade....a la 007 or a detonator for an explosive or a fire starter for the campfire......etc., etc.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

• 2 weeks later...

Since Linus is so fond of really outrageous computer stuff and you did factory tours before (Sennheiser, Cherry and Logitech spring to mind), I'd like to suggest something for the Holy$hit-Series. How about you guys visiting the places where the big players that depend on massive computing power are? I'm thinking of big Media Players like ABC, HBO, Disney/Pixar, Warner etc. Maybe Universities using Supercomputers for Weather- / Physics-Simulations, Astrology or even Financial-/Stock-Market-Computing. A tour through one of the Google-Datacenters or a huge network hub like De-Cix would be nice too.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

A review on the new Kingston HyperX headset would be cool (the Cloud Stinger)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would love to see tech of all kind. Like the zboards and boosted boards. I know the focus is PCs, and for good reason. But i really liked those random LTT vids about random tech. Really refreshing in my mind.

@LinusTech the NZXT Manta.

Bring back case reviews damnit. Or at least get @Slick to slap together a gaming rig in the case, and give his feedback in a "quick review" kind of video or something.

Maybe " TL;DR Case Reviews". Cut out the BS overview of the case, since most people shopping probably already know the stats, and get right down to the pro's and con's. Think of it like a "tech quickie case review" or something.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs