AMD launches R9 380x Q2 (April-July)

Keltar

Finally we have some information regrading when AMD will launch the 300 series. According to Sweclockers, AMD will launch the R9 380x sometime in Q2 (April-July). I do really hope this card is as good as the rumor tells.

"Nu kan SweClockers avslöja att AMD:s nästa grafikkort i toppklassen, som väntas gå under beteckningen Radeon R9 380X, lanseras under årets andra kvartal. Det betyder alltså någon gång i april–juni, sannolikt något senare under perioden och i samband elektronikmässan Computex 2015 i Taiwan." 

In English: 

"Now, Sweclockers reveal that AMD's best graphics cards in the top class, which is expected to be called Radeon R9 380X, launched during the second quarter. So this means sometime in April-June, probably somewhat later period and associated electronics exhibition Computex 2015 in Taiwan."
(Google translate!) 

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19919-amd-lanserar-radeon-r9-380x-till-varen

I don't know how accurate this is, but regardless; Hype!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Finally we have some information regrading when AMD will launch the 300 series. According to Sweclockers, AMD will launch the R9 380x sometime in Q2 (April-July). I do really hope this card is as good as the rumor tells.

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19919-amd-lanserar-radeon-r9-380x-till-varen

Is that a creditable source? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I Hope this isnt true.

I will not wait 3-5 months for this amd 300 series cards, i will buy a gtx970.

My gut has been telling me May 2015 for some time, I wonder just how much Sweclockers are going on rumor or whether this is a leak?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Is that a creditable source? 

Sweclockers is Swedens biggest tech site and over the years they have almost always been reliable in their articles and news. :)

Only 4 gb card? I hope 390x has atleast 6 gigs of vram

That is pathetic. Looks like 20 nm really takes it's time. AMD almost skips a year of GPUs if they really launch 300 series in ~june.

Only 4 gb card? I hope 390x has atleast 6 gigs of vram

They use a new type of VRAM (not GDDR5 anymore), fogot what it's called but it's faster or something. :P

who cares...

We know it has stacked VRAM.

Hope it has stacked performance  :D

there was some benchmark in another thread showing comparable performance to one of the highest clocked 980's. There was speculation that it was actually an early 390x prototype, but I'm still sure its the 380x. after 2 years, AMD should have something that can compare to Nvidia's current flagship. Considering Sweclockers are posting a 45% improvement over 290x, than the thread below suggests 380x is a beast.

edit http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/293664-amd-radeon-r9-300-series-3dmark-11-extreme-score-revealed/

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So, wait.. the 380X is the highest end now and not the 90X series?

no, they are doing a nvidia and putting the second tier card out. 

then the big boy gets launched later down the line. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

HBM correct? I think it's more power for per wattage than GDDR5

less surface area on the pcb taken up however because there are less chips. the overall wattage is less if you aren't comparing chip vs chip.

shorter cards can be expected because of it i think.

Jesus... if this is the 380X, I wonder what the R9 390 and 390X will bring!

As far as I remember, and the leaks are true, this is the GPU release where the performance gap between each generation is actually a "performance gap"... it's fucking huge!!!

Lisa is going for the home run! You go Lisa!

Maybe this is where AMD Radeon will part from NVIDIA - AMD Radeon will be the raw performance brand with higher TDP and big performance boosts, while NVIDIA will become the "green" brand with low TDP and small performance boosts.

If this is how AMD Radeon will position themselfs in the market, then great! Just don't try to be a half breed who trys to please all and wont please anyone - if the path is to please those who seek performance, then be it and stick by it!!! Go after them and they will follow! There's people who don't care about TDP and care about performance - NVIDIA highlights the TDP in their communication, then AMD Radeon should highlight performance numbers.

Each color is suiting each brand - Green and Red. Low TDP vs Performance. Make your choices boys and girls

Finally. I definitely am hoping for it to be launched sooner than that, it's the only thing keeping my from going sli. But that 3dmark 11 score was unreal, I really hope it's legit.

Considering how long it takes for Nvidia to properly compete with Tahiti, I think AMD is not gonna to let 970 and 980 dominate. Considering how cheap is 970, I wonder how the 380X will fit in, compete 980 with cheaper price? And how much cheaper?

Far too long, by then Nvidia could be ready to respond with dramatic price cuts and/or clock bump ups to compete with them for a bit and then unleash another generation. Again AMD timing does matter and lately they suck at it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Far too long, by then Nvidia could be ready to respond with dramatic price cuts and/or clock bump ups to compete with them for a bit and then unleash another generation. Again AMD timing does matter and lately they suck at it.

if recent benchmarks are true, Nvidia will have to launch something better just to compete. I think the timing is clever if they do launch in the spring. right now people are broke. bad time to launch anything.

if recent benchmarks are true, Nvidia will have to launch something better just to compete. 

Right, that means that Nvidia would be unable to respond for months if AMD launched right now, I call that a huge missed opportunity. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Right, that means that Nvidia would be unable to respond for months if AMD launched right now, I call that a huge missed opportunity. 

they are at the mercy of the fabs. if they released now it would be a paper launch. no company does that unless they are absolutely sure on the final product. 

I think it will depend on the performance figures. If AMD sets appart from NVIDIA by a huge margin and still has the high end cards in their sleeve I wont judge the timing.

NVIDIA released two cards high end (in my oppinion they were rushed for the holidays, and came incomplete not ready for the future standards) that still struggle in some scenarios with the R9 290(X) - mainly in the over hyped 4k market. You can say AMD didn't have a response for them at the time, but I think they were just building a proper product for their customers, in their time schedule, and hopefully without the same mistakes as the previous gen (the terrible blower cooler).

You have the R9 295X2 example, where NVIDIA announced the Titan Z, AMD delivered the R9 295X2, the Titan Z got delayed TWICE, and they still weren't able to catch AMD. So that "catch up talk" isn't linear.

On the other side the people with the R9 290(X) seem to have a great cards for the value, ready for the future standards.

Nvidia are as well, try another argument. 

Why? If both companies are at the mercy of the fabs, then no one can say AMD have bad timing, or Nvidia.