AMD launches R9 380x Q2 (April-July)

Keltar

Imagine if the rumoured performance is true (stronger than 980), and if it's priced correctly (probably around the same price of the 280x when it was launched), bam!

Only 4 gb card? I hope 390x has atleast 6 gigs of vram

HBM is limited to 1 GB per 4-Hi stack right now. The second generation will raise density.

less surface area on the pcb taken up however because there are less chips. the overall wattage is less if you aren't comparing chip vs chip.

shorter cards can be expected because of it i think.

Actually no PCB space taken up. AMD integrated HBM directly on die with Pirate Islands. Voltage of HBM is 1.2v compared to 1.5v of GDDR5 so even at a chip to chip comparison HBM is much better on power consumption.

good to know guys i will start saving the $$$ and selling off my current gpu's if this is going to be what they say it is :D

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

they are at the mercy of the fabs. if they released now it would be a paper launch. no company does that unless they are absolutely sure on the final product. 

Well, that's what they get for selling theirs

if recent benchmarks are true, Nvidia will have to launch something better just to compete.

Conversely we know Nvidia does, as always, have another chip up their sleeve

If AMD does something really crazy, I'll give it a second look. Right now there isn't really on the market that is tempting me to part with a pair of 770s

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

The only thing I don't like about AMD right now is that they are either starting their marketing way too early or the R+D way too late.  We seem to be waiting extraordinarily long times for promised products to hit the shelves.

R&D started long ago as they are beginning to tape out chips.

Marketing - they havent done any yet

not sure where you were going with this

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Seriously doubt they will release that quick. Even though it was announced in SVEEDEN? Ehhhhhhhhh yea ... Hold your breath on that 1.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

The only thing I don't like about AMD right now is that they are either starting their marketing way too early or the R+D way too late.  We seem to be waiting extraordinarily long times for promised products to hit the shelves.

They never said anything about the 3xx series.  That was all leaks.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

R&D started long ago as they are beginning to tape out chips.

Marketing - they havent done any yet

not sure where you were going with this

They never said anything about the 3xx series.  That was all leaks.

I was talking about AMD in general,  the hype leading up to the 290 and 290x seemed to last forever (remember everyone saying wait for the 9000?), then when they were released we had to wait what seemed like an excessive time again before we got non reference cards.  They have been marketing the shit out of mantle and freesync for over a year now , what do we have, one mantle game and still no freesync in the market.   AMD also had those countdown timers to "big announcements" we waited a month to find out what everyone already guessed it was.  I'm not having a dig, I'm just saying they're either dragging their feet or hyping up stuff that isn't market ready yet. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I was talking about AMD in general,  the hype leading up to the 290 and 290x seemed to last forever (remember everyone saying wait for the 9000?), then when they were released we had to wait what seemed like an excessive time again before we got non reference cards.  They have been marketing the shit out of mantle and freesync for over a year now , what do we have, one mantle game and still no freesync in the market.   AMD also had those countdown timers to "big announcements" we waited a month to find out what everyone already guessed it was.  I'm not having a dig, I'm just saying they're either dragging their feet or hyping up stuff that isn't market ready yet. 

Eh, for tech I'd rather know what's coming in advanced but I get what you mean.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

That is pathetic. Looks like 20 nm really takes it's time. AMD almost skips a year of GPUs if they really launch 300 series in ~june.

They use a new type of VRAM (not GDDR5 anymore), fogot what it's called but it's faster or something. :P

GDDR69

OT- I might just get a GTX 960 :P Cant wait this long!

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Guy, one thing I've learned from my time here...

If Linus & Luke talk about this on the Wan Show this week then its likely not true, if they don't mention it then they know its real but AMD have slapped an NDA on them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Finally we have some information regrading when AMD will launch the 300 series. According to Sweclockers, AMD will launch the R9 380x sometime in Q2 (April-July). I do really hope this card is as good as the rumor tells.

"Nu kan SweClockers avslöja att AMD:s nästa grafikkort i toppklassen, som väntas gå under beteckningen Radeon R9 380X, lanseras under årets andra kvartal. Det betyder alltså någon gång i april–juni, sannolikt något senare under perioden och i samband elektronikmässan Computex 2015 i Taiwan." 

In English: 

"Now, Sweclockers reveal that AMD's best graphics cards in the top class, which is expected to be called Radeon R9 380X, launched during the second quarter. So this means sometime in April-June, probably somewhat later period and associated electronics exhibition Computex 2015 in Taiwan."
(Google translate!) 

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19919-amd-lanserar-radeon-r9-380x-till-varen

the translation is wrong, it's "AMD's next graphics card in the top class", not best.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

the translation is wrong, it's "AMD's next graphics card in the top class", not best.

Yeah, of course its some wrongs in text its Google translate x) But at least you can understand the meaning of the text :)

Conversely we know Nvidia does, as always, have another chip up their sleeve

If AMD does something really crazy, I'll give it a second look. Right now there isn't really on the market that is tempting me to part with a pair of 770s

Apparently, if the leaks are true and this is the 380X, that's AMD position as well - they used to have the only dual GPU up their sleeves that for the past years, that has taken the performance lead and left NVIDIA with no response.

Now with the 390X they seem to keep that also as a card yet to be played.

Yeah, of course its some wrongs in text its Google translate x) But at least you can understand the meaning of the text :)

well the meaning was slightly altered, swapping the word next for best.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Guy, one thing I've learned from my time here...

If Linus & Luke talk about this on the Wan Show this week then its likely not true, if they don't mention it then they know its real but AMD have slapped an NDA on them.

For AMD to slap an NDA on Linus they have to first provide him with information.

They can't just forbid him from talking about stuff.

For AMD to slap an NDA on Linus they have to first provide him with information.

They can't just forbid him from talking about stuff.

That was kinda the point I was making. If its been leaked then its obvious AMD are talking to partners about stuff, its also fairly safe to assume that if it is real then Linus (being a partner) will be privvy to said information so if he doesn't mention this in Fridays Wan Show then I'd wager its because he knows stuff he can't tell us yet.

The exact same thing happened with Catalyst Omega, the info got leaked, following Wan Show nothing, it released the next Tuesday then the next Wan Show he said he knew about it weeks ago but couldn't say anything cause of NDA.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

After going over AMD 4th quarter results. AMD pretty much said it will be releasing new graphics cards

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.