AMD launches R9 380x Q2 (April-July)

Keltar

Why? If both companies are at the mercy of the fabs, then no one can say AMD have bad timing, or Nvidia.

One can say simply by looking at what Nvidia and AMD are offering and Nvidia is offering the clear superior product and apparently will be untouched for over half a year, with access to the same foundries.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There are lots of people that waste money on overkill PSUs so high TDP isn't an issue when you get shit tons of performance.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Well now!

I'm planning on a whole new x99 system at the end of May, and this might be make it in if the performance  and power usage is right.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

This is taking so damn long. I was hoping to upgrade by winter, then by the end of January and now it's going to be somewhere between April-July... I had even purposely never bought new games because I wanted to play them at their highest settings with a new card...

Only 4 gb card? I hope 390x has atleast 6 gigs of vram

HBM gen 1 can only fit 1 GB per module, and to develop a bus wide enough to host 6 modules would be hellishly expensive and difficult. For now, 4 is about all you need if you optimize games currently using uncompressed textures, even for all 4K games currently.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Im confused, is AMD dropping the x90 and x90x name and instead calling their top card x80 and x80x? kinda like how nvidea's top card is x80?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Im confused, is AMD dropping the x90 and x90x name and instead calling their top card x80 and x80x? kinda like how nvidea's top card is x80?

my guess would be that the 90 series is going to be be the GM200 competitor, so since nvidia hasnt  launched that, theyre going to wait to release the 90, 90x.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'm ready to drop money on em now...

Still a long wait...

I see Nvidia launching their Ti versions to respond to this. Or the Ti versions will come beforehand.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

my guess would be that the 90 series is going to be be the GM200 competitor, so since nvidia hasnt  launched that, theyre going to wait to release the 90, 90x.

ok makes sence

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I'm ready to drop money on em now...

Still a long wait...

I see Nvidia launching their Ti versions to respond to this. Or the Ti versions will come beforehand.

There will be no Ti versions of the 980 etc, Ti has always been a higher binned flagship card with a few more cores unlocked. However the current 980gtx has every core unlocked so I fail to see how they could make a Ti version of it.

---

Imho I couldn't give a crap how good the performance numbers are if the drivers are not up to task (and currently they are not) then I will be swapping my two 290x's out for something from the green side. (Before you AMD people hate) just know that I have been using AMD cards for a very long time, I am sick of the driver issues we get. Currently I cant move up any further than the 14.7 driver because Eyefinity does not function with any later drivers and its not as if its an uncommon issue with crossfire 290x's there forums are spammed with people having the same issue with nobdy from AMD even posting a reply. Thats not even to mention how long it takes them to push out new game title drivers when Nvidia manage to do it perfectly fine.

So yeah sorry AMD but if you cant sort your software out then I couldn't care for your flagship hardware.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

There will be no Ti versions of the 980 etc, Ti has always been a higher binned flagship card with a few more cores unlocked. However the current 980gtx has every core unlocked so I fail to see how they could make a Ti version of it.

---

Imho I couldn't give a crap how good the performance numbers are if the drivers are not up to task (and currently they are not) then I will be swapping my two 290x's out for something from the green side. (Before you AMD people hate) just know that I have been using AMD cards for a very long time, I am sick of the driver issues we get. Currently I cant move up any further than the 14.7 driver because Eyefinity does not function with any later drivers and its not as if its an uncommon issue with crossfire 290x's there forums are spammed with people having the same issue with nobdy from AMD even posting a reply. Thats not even to mention how long it takes them to push out new game title drivers when Nvidia manage to do it perfectly fine.

So yeah sorry AMD but if you cant sort your software out then I couldn't care for your flagship hardware.

I've had more problems with Nvidia then I have with AMD.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

---

Prepare for 'I had the same issues with Nvidia' and 'I didn't have issues with AMD drivers' replies.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

if recent benchmarks are true, Nvidia will have to launch something better just to compete. I think the timing is clever if they do launch in the spring. right now people are broke. bad time to launch anything.

considering we dont know the price of the 3xxx whatever we have no idea if it will compete. i mean if the flagship is better then a 980 but costs the same then its all good. but in a few months time the 980 will have been out long enough for nvidia to easily justify price drops. also the 970 is probably the best seller this year, if that doesnt get a competitor then itll be still tough for amd

The only thing I don't like about AMD right now is that they are either starting their marketing way too early or the R+D way too late.  We seem to be waiting extraordinarily long times for promised products to hit the shelves.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

With these chips taking longer and longer, I'm suspecting that they indeed might be possibly 20nm.

I don't see any particular reason for the other than HBM mass production.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

I've been waiting since november when they said 980ti and 3"" series were def coming out in january or december. Im done waiting time to spend about 300 bucks and i can have another 600 by then im just so fucking done with waiting. Plus they are turning in to apple with no official anouncment till like the day before.

Steam:Drift and Drift_2 <p>(name is hunter) Lets play:)

I don't think they'll launch it at Computex. They had their own event in Hawaii for Hawaii's release and this release will be much bigger. Hell, they even had their own event and livestream for the R9 285, even though that card basically only bought more features and a little bit more efficiency to the table.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Hope it undercuts the 970 and we get something like the Kepler vs Tahiti price war, this can only be good for hardware nuts like us.

Even though I have the biggest craving for a GTX970 right now, I'm still pretty excited to see what AMD is coming out with. I like both companies, though I feel that AMD has been having a lot of problems as of late with trying to keep up with their GPUs and CPUs. I genuinely wanna see this come out and give a swift kick in Nvidia's ass and push them to respond with something even more powerful.

When tech companies compete, enthusiasts win. ;)

Hand of Nod: i7-4790K, 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, MSI Gaming 5 Z97 mobo, LEPA 120mm red LED fans (x3) Corsair SPEC-03 case, Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor, Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD (x2)

I don't know how accurate this is, but regardless; Hype!

Run before the hypers get you!

hNViJwy.gif

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

I'm really interested to know what the cost may be and how hot this thing will get. Hopefully we get something about that in the next leak/update.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Why do they always launch their mini nuclear reactors during the summer?

Disappointing time frame, they really are late this time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Now the question for me is SLI 980's.... or go back to team red.

Would probably make more sense to just SLI and wistfully gaze across the fence.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

One can say simply by looking at what Nvidia and AMD are offering and Nvidia is offering the clear superior product and apparently will be untouched for over half a year, with access to the same foundries.

because this is new? titan/780

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Ill admit now iv always been a Green team gug but i really want AMD to blow Nvidia out the water...the i will happily give AMD my money! :D

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!