Nvidia 960 Performs Slightly Faster Than Radeon R9 280 (3D Mark Scores)

41762_02_nvidia-rumored-launch-mid-range

From the looks of it, the GeForce GTX 960 which features the GM206-300 chip will feature not only a sweet price point but some decent performance for a card that costs around 200 bucks and features a 2 GB VRAM operating across a 128-bit memory bus. While the specifications listed in the GPU-z shot seem to be bogus due to the current version not fully supporting the GeForce GTX 960 graphics card, some information does seem to indicate that we might be looking at 1024 CUDA cores on the GM206-300 GPU along with 32 ROPs and if the math seems right, around 64 TMUs but we’ll leave it here until more credible information pops up.

As indicated below, the specs and 3dmark 11 score

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960-3DMark-11.png

The GeForce GTX 960 scores P9960 and X3321 points in 3DMark 11, 6636 points in 3DMark Fire Strike, 3438 points in 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme as well as 1087 points in 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra, according to PCEva.com.cn. If the numbers are correct, then the GeForce GTX 960 will offer performance – at least in 3DMark benchmarks – comparable to that of the GeForce GTX 680 and the GeForce GTX 770.

This should put it between the 770-780 range of performance while keeping at a comparable price with the 280/285 (~210$US market price).

Tell me what you think about the formatting of the topic, and post what you're thoughts are below.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-reference-overclocked-performance-revealed-performs-slightly-faster-radeon-r9-280/
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/specs-and-performance-of-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-revealed/
http://videocardz.com/54263/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-specifications-and-performance-leaked

If this is a repost. One person say it is in a kind matter. I honestly spend 5 minutes looking for gtx 960 and nvidia from method Site:linustechtips from both past 24 hours and the past week for anything of the same topic.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The question is: how much would it cost? and how will it contend to the 370 when it comes out?

The question is: how much would it cost? and how will it contend to the 370 when it comes out?

Should cost just north of $200 if it isn't at $200. Apparently it's not supposed to compete with the 370 given Nvidia's brainless performance decisions.

impossible to answer

but at a guess $200-250? (same in £ in the UK ofc), no idea what the 300 series will be like

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Should cost just north of $200 if it isn't at $200. Apparently it's not supposed to compete with the 370 given Nvidia's brainless performance decisions.

So it would be approximately 12k PhP... Still out of reach...

What do you mean by 'brainless performance decisions'? It's a new card. shouldn't it perform at least equal to the previous gen card?

Why is the bandwidth speed so low? 

Nvidia is using some trickery to reuse memory data so it's not constantly being loaded in.

So it would be approximately 12k PhP... Still out of reach...

What do you mean by 'brainless performance decisions'? It's a new card. shouldn't it perform at least equal to the previous gen card?

The performance gap between the 770 and 780 is too large compared to different tiered cards before. If it was smack dab in the middle it would be a great value and give the performance it should have. (660-670 gap, 560-570 gap, etc.)

I'm not believing the specs for one second, this is all just rumours at the moment. I'll be ignoring this one. -_-

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm wanting this card, but it takes too long. I might actually buy a second hand GTX 760 while I wait for the 960 to be released.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

Nvidia is using some trickery to reuse memory data so it's not constantly being loaded in.

Any links to how this works, kind of interested in how that would work.

Meh.

I guess I'll still be getting an r9 290 then.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Any links to how this works, kind of interested in how that would work.

I can't find a good article, Google is letting me down, but I can link you to Linus' 980 release video which should be able to give a decent explanation.

Considering the kneecapped VRAM it'll be slower when it matters. This entire card a complete waste of time unless it's less than $200.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Meh.

I guess I'll still be getting an r9 290 then.

970 is much better value.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

What would be the ideal price for this card?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

What would be the ideal price for this card?

I think that would be $200,- 

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

970 is much better value.

Maybe in the US.Here it's $450-500.Compared to the $350-375 of an R9 290, there's quite a difference in price.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What? No it's not....

290 is up to 30% cheaper for 10% less performance...

290 is much more expensive to run per year. In 12 months that difference will be made.

Maybe in the US.Here it's $450-500.Compared to the $350-375 of an R9 290, there's quite a difference in price.

I am not from the US.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I'm going to go with the assumption that pre-release drivers suck, as always. Hence the lower than expected performance.

290 is much more expensive to run per year. In 12 months that difference will be made.

Sure if your power is ridiculously expensive and you do nothing but game all day.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Oooooh. Well,it doesn't really matter here. Electricity is cheap.

I don't think I'm going to save $100-150 from bills alone.